Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 357 4" Tracker with the ported barrel. I like the 4" barrel size and the gun, the build, just not the porting "extras".

Does anyone know if there is a way to plug the ports? (I don't want the fireworks/flash, and the gases blowing back, and the extra noise, anymore. And I'll take the extra recoil.) I want to use it more for self defense than target shooting. I'd prefer to use the 357 shot as opposed to 38 +p or spl's. Any ideas appreciated.

On another forum someone cut their barrel down (not to remove the ports) but just to have a 3" barrel. They removed the barrel (don't remember the make), cut off an inch, honed the front and added a sight. Is this even possible with the tracker?

-syracuse

·
Registered
846 Posts
I dont know, I just can't believe anyone would do this, the porting gives you more accurate hits do to lower recoil. I have seen people pay a allot to have them ported years ago before manfg. started doing it. That is why I loved my Dan Wessons years back. This is what led me to own my 1st Taurus my Tracker .44. I would never cut a gun down and believe it would be a mistake. Do you really think someone would tell you the truth after they did that and say " opps I was a d-m-ss"

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Well, a M66 is very similar and doesn't have porting. As is a M616 but its only a 2". But look at it this way, you have options....

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I know nothing of porting, but from pictures of them I've seen, I have one suggestion. Why not tap the holes and insert a screw?

·
Registered
663 Posts
jlentz said:
I know nothing of porting, but from pictures of them I've seen, I have one suggestion. Why not tap the holes and insert a screw?
I know nothing of porting either, but, judging from the positions taken by proponents and opponents, I think it has something to do with religion!

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
846 Posts
What are you going to do when the bullet hits the screws, or do you think this will be just a normal wear to fit conversion, geese guys leave it alone or sell it and buy one thats not ported. If you fill it or screw it I don't want to be near ya when you shoot it.
That the one that will be screwed. :puke:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The screws would not have to go into the bore. Obviously a machine shop would have to do the drilling and taping, wasn't talking of drywall screws from Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
846 Posts
LOL I know I was just kiddin at ya. LOL on the Wal- Mart.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Guys, I have also thought of the same thing, as when shooting in a decent position, it is great, but once while holding it a little closer to my gut, lost my hat, knocked my glasses out of position, with the blast from the porting. Now I attempt to have it at arms length, but after all, my M445 .44 special is a close range, defence weapon, and situations occur without time to get into a perfect shooting position, and then it is not so great. But I know most shops would refuse to mess with the titanium, so that is out.

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
Ports reduce recoil, but increase noise and flash that affects the shooter. It's a trade off. Me, I'm pretty recoil tolerant. My 66s don't bother me at all even with HOT stuff. They're big and heavy enough to absorb it. A titanium/scandium 12 ounce wondergun? Well, that might be a candidate for porting if I wanted so shoot anything hotter than.38 loads.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I like the porting on mine..makes all 357s feel like 38s.... :D
i think the combination of porting and weight on a Tracker is perfect.
I shot a 357 without the weight and porting,it jumped pretty good in my hand...

I would not mess with it...(pretty good combination :)

Not sure about the gas thing but it is a tad bit loud...i always have earplugs when i am shooting anyways...i think if you were using it in self defence, you would not think about it...

i remember deer hunting when i was a kid and the 270 that i had was loud( I always flinched)..My dad always told me that when you shoot at a deer, you will not notice how loud it is...and he was correct 8)

·
Registered
846 Posts
:bang:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I don't think you can plug the porting, maybe have a gunstith weld it for you and refinish the part but that sounds $$

I like porting myself, if you don't I'd say trade your gun for a gun that isn't ported...:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hold your fingers over the ports when shooting?

I think removing the front sight, then welding steel rod into the holes is the way to go. Wait, can stainless steel be welded??

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Yes, PointOneSeven stainless can be welded, however welding will add and/or change stresses in the metal causing some dimensional change. Refinishing the barrel and recontouring the inside would be extremly expensive (skilled labor intensive).
I believe one could cut the barrel off and replace the front sight (integral or not) for less money and less chance of disappointment.
Are Tracker front sights integral with the barrel or are they attached?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts