Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to handguns. My question is on a Tracker 922ss which barrel is more accurate a 4" or 6"?

GregA

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
As a general rule, the longer the barrel, the more accurate it is. That being said, I doubt that anyone but an expert marksman would be able to produce enough of a noticeable and consistent difference on paper to be able to actually see it.

As for a particular gun, it's a crap shoot. I've seen 3 or 4 inch barrel guns that will shoot circles around the same model gun with a longer barrel.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum.^ pretty much covered it.Barrel length is often dictated by how you plan to use the gun.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The accuracy of a particular length of barrel is not only the mechanical function of stabilizing the bullet (a longer barrel = more time to stabilize), imparting velocity (longer barrel = more velocity, up to a point); it is also the function of the length of the sight plane (how far apart the front and rear sights are). A longer barrel = longer sight plane, which contributes to better accuracy.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
:r_c: If a revolver is intrinsically accurate from the factory, the barrel length doesn't mean squat in this equation.

What makes longer barrels "appear" to be more accurate in the "hands of men" is the fact that a longer sight radius reduces group spoiling minor sight movements thus enhancing the shooter's shooting skills.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I agree with all the previous posts, and I shoot several pairs of the same model firearm, but in different lengths and yes, the longer one gives me a tighter group of holes on the paper target. Since we can't carry in my state, what I look for in a firearm is different than what many others look for. Some firearms with a short barrel are very accurate with a proficient operator behind them -or in my case one who is just very, very lucky most of the time!:)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
As said before the longer barrel and longer sight radius is easier for most people to hit consistent with. What the gun will be used the most for usually determines barrel length for most people. I have a revolver with a 15" barrel that is extremely accurate but shot very little because it is too long for most carry and informal shooting. A mini revolver with a 1" barrel is too small to be shot comfortably but when put in a mechanical rest shot some amazing small groups to our surprise. For carry I like 2" and 3" barrel revolvers they can also group well. Plinking the 4" to 8" barrel guns usually get first pick with 5"&6" barrels being favored. When teaching both men and women to shoot for a range gun the longer 6" barrel guns are usually picked up when given shooters choice after they have fired different guns. That is because most hit better with the longer guns. Ask what they would carry for woods or hiking and 4" gets first pick.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chances are the mechanical accuracy of the 4" gun is the same as the 6" gun. To me it's just personal preference. Generally fir me a 4" gun will feel better balanced, so I'll shoot it better than a 6", which will feel barrel-heavy for me.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I'll agree. One can often shoot longer barrels more accurately, but they aren't necessarily more accurate in and of themselves if you remove the human variable. Back in the 70's I remember one of the gun rags proved this by conducting an exhaustive test using 2" and 4" S&W Model 15's against 4" and 8 3/8" K-38's all in a Ransom Rest. They were pretty much averaged out all equal across a wide variety of loads. Wish I could find that article...

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
Sight radius is the key to accuracy. The longer the better. Besides it looks cool. Welcome to TA from Minnesota

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 Smiley Hello.gif The knowledgeable members of the forum who have replied to your post have done a fine job of
answering your question so the best I can do is welcome you to the forum....

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
OOOHHHHH! That is a fabulous silhouette! I would LOVE to have one!! I've been looking around off and on for one, now I'm all fired up for the hunt again! Thanks for the great picture - I think??!!:unsure:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome from StL MO - good question!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you very much!!!!

Thanks SEKOL,

Yeah, that is one nice "Mohaska"! It is the only one I have ever seen, they were made from 2002-2004 in .22 LR, and .22 Magnum only, 7 shot. They must not have made too many, I hadn't seen one before, or since.

Shoot safe

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I am new to handguns. My question is on a Tracker 922ss which barrel is more accurate a 4" or 6"?

GregA
Looks like you'll have to try them both out and see which one you shoot more accurately. A fun experiment to work on!

Coop

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have yet to see a snub nose at any of the matches I shoot in. All things being equal, the greater the sight radius, the tighter the group, most of the time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sight radius is the difference, but it's generally not the tool but the craftsman using the tool that is the key to its effectiveness! :) A 2" snubbie in the hands of a professional would probably equal the performance of a lesser mortal (;)) shooting a rifle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with all the previous posts, and I shoot several pairs of the same model firearm, but in different lengths and yes, the longer one gives me a tighter group of holes on the paper target. Since we can't carry in my state, what I look for in a firearm is different than what many others look for. Some firearms with a short barrel are very accurate with a proficient operator behind them -or in my case one who is just very, very lucky most of the time!:)
You can't carry in Maryland ?? That's BS! I thought Illinois was the only right denied state.. that sucks man

1 - 20 of 20 Posts