Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the thread on barrel length in handguns, I was wondering what sorts of barrel length you guys prefer in your long guns.

Of the three serious rifles I've had one was a dedicated target rifle designed for 1000 yards+ and had a barrel length of 26", my .308 Parker-Hale deer rifle had a barrel length of 20" but measured overall with a reflex moderator fitted came in at just on 22" and my .243 Ruger M77(original) had a 24" heavy varmint barrel.

I have friends who hunt deer with barrels up to 24" but I've never seen the need for that much length as the most I'd personally take deer at would be 250 yards or less. The M77 was good on foxes out to around 400 yards and was very accurate.

Regarding the target shooting aspect, I 've come across people with 28", 30" and, the most extreme, 32" barrels. I hate to think how much these rifles cost to be re-barrelled as I know many serious target shooters will swap out barrels after 1500 rounds..!!

This was my target rifle. Remington Sendero action, PacNor barrel, HS Precision stock, Badger Ordnance 20MOA scope rail, mag and mag well and bolt knob.

208178_1021442417276_9424_n[1].jpg

Deer rifle is a .308 Parker-Hale Scout. Mauser action, laminated stock which I had Duracoated and fitted with a Wildcat P8 moderator.

Scout1.jpg

Finally, the Ruger M77. Standard Ruger issue. Loved the tang mounted safety on that rifle.

M77-2.JPG

·
8,328 Posts
I likey,,very nice long guns.

Barrel lengths of mine:
18" for home defense and hunting up to 100 yards
20" for big bore / magnum loads out to 200 yards
22" for medium power 243 etc.. out to 200 yards.

My eyes aren't good enough to go beyond 200 yards. Even with a good scope, if the eyes don't fail me, then the shakes make my scope reticle do the cha-cha.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
1 @ 11.5 inches.
3 @ 16.25 inches.
And another 20 or so varying from 18 inches (custom 7x57 mauser) to 24 inches (1893 7x57 Mauser in mint condition) or so.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
My 40-year favorite deer rifle was a Remington 760, carbine length (18") barrel, with a 3-9 scope (various manufacturers).

For a few years, it had a "bullet-drop compensator."

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Gosh over the years I have hunted Deer (White tail) with a multitude of different rifles and configurations .
many, many years ago I settled in on a 300 Win Mag bolt action 24 " barrel, in fiber stock.
as i reload and back then was subject to go a lot of different places to hunt and might consider most any game animal I figured this one gun and caliber could be used for basically any game animal in the USA, simply tailoring load weights to that animal.
MY favorite rifle that I currently own is this lil Ruger RSI in 250-3000 Savage caliber, I think she is quite a looker myself.
that caliber is easily able to use on medium sized and smaller game.

Attachments

Reactions: ManxTom

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gosh over the years I have hunted Deer (White tail) with a multitude of different rifles and configurations .
many, many years ago I settled in on a 300 Win Mag bolt action 24 " barrel, in fiber stock.
as i reload and back then was subject to go a lot of different places to hunt and might consider most any game animal I figured this one gun and caliber could be used for basically any game animal in the USA, simply tailoring load weights to that animal.
MY favorite rifle that I currently own is this lil Ruger RSI in 250-3000 Savage caliber, I think she is quite a looker myself.
that caliber is easily able to use on medium sized and smaller game.
I love that Stutzen rifle. Classic European style hunting rifle. What's the camo stock on the other rifle.. McMillan?

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Don't shoot a whole lot of rifle but the .30-'06 has a 24" barrel, my CAS main match '73 Sporting Rifle (octagonal barrel) clone in .45Colt has a 24 1/4" (I passed on a 30" musket a while back) and the '94AE Trapper that's backup CAS and brush gun has a 16".

The last one is right handy when hunting in pine thickets where you could comfortably measure shots in feet rather than yards. It's short and maneuverable in such a tight space even if it doesn't well hang on target since it's so light out front.

Loaded with 300gr Corbon wide nose flat points, it duplicates on paper (bullet weight and velocity is the same, the only difference is I use a .452" bullet and they used .458's) the Old West era .45-70 carbine load (.45-55-300) that the US Cavalry used- but I can carry 9 of them. It tends to anchor them quite nicely if you put the shot where it belongs and that's why I use it. Traipsing through a pine thicket on a blood trail ain't the way I like to spend a day in the woods.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I love that Stutzen rifle. Classic European style hunting rifle. What's the camo stock on the other rifle.. McMillan?
Honestly its been so long since I put together this setup I really do not remember the brand of the stock.
its a HOWA action and riding on top is a Tasco 3 X 9 X 40 World class scope.

Reactions: ManxTom
1 - 8 of 8 Posts