Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recently come across vids and articles regarding an offering of inserts, u just load the round into the insert and drop it into the cylinder, the round never touches the barrel of the handgun, the insert is the barrel. fire the round then eject the case, it comes many popular calibers for the Judge, recently a demonstration on YouTube showed 9mm, .380 fired at 7-10 and 15 yards, they were fairly accurate, this adds another demension to the already versatile Judge ..anyone have any experience with the inserts ?

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I have inserts for shooting 9x19 or 45acp in a 12 gauge. Also 22LR in a 26.5mm flare launcher.
They work OK, I just don't use them often.
I have occasionally thought about getting a 7.62x39 chamber insert for either my 308 or 3006 but since I have an AK and a SKS I don't really need it.
I just remembered that I also have a chamber adapter to shoot in 308 or 3006.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What makes these really appealing is that they are now offered with rifling b4 they were smooth bore, it should definitely effect the accuracy with a rifled insert ....

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
You should be aware that adapters designed for revolvers are 2.5" in length and are smooth bore, not rifled. Tests and reviews have shown that bullets fired from smooth bore adapters tend to tumble in flight. Keyholes in targets are common.

Only 5 inch and longer adapters are rifled. The same reviews state that rifled adapters result in much better accuracy with no evidence for tumbling and keyholes. The "drawback," such as it is in this current discussion, is that - obviously - those are far too long to fit any revolver.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Company called Short lane has a Jury series of
Adapters in various calibers that are 3 inch inserts that they advertise as “Rifled” that’s was got my attention I’m aware of tumbling in a smooth bore need to get some to try em out

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Inserts have been around for years. How well they work depends on several things. Quality of insert, how well made, how well they fit the gun etc. The gun also has a lot to do with how well they work. I have used them for years and like good ones. Use in shotguns to shoot smaller gauge shotgun shells. Also use rifled inserts/adapters for rifle and handgun ammo in shotguns etc. Good ones are great for what they are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts