Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Looking for suggestions or perspective. Bought a Model 85CH stainless a few weeks ago. When I bought it the bore was dark but didn't notice excessive build-up. Put 50 FMJ rounds through it, cleaned it, bore looked good. In the past few days I put 75 rounds of lead bullets through it (158 gr round nose and semi-wad cutters - Federal, CCI and PPU). Cleaned it today with normal routine (Hoppes 9, brass bore brush, patches, repeat) but noticed what looks like a lot of leading in the bore (looked like rows of little blotches/mounds in the lands and grooves). I used Remington 40-X bore cleaner on it repeatedly, and it definitely got much of it out, and shined up the bore but even using lots of that, and running Hoppes 9 down, letting it sit for an hour, repeating... there are still a bit of leading it looks like, and patches with the Rem 40-X still come out dark grey with some scrubbing.
I don't know if this leading was there to begin with and I didn't notice it before, or if it all is result of putting 75 lead bullets down it. I don't shoot lead bullets in any of my other guns, but for 38 spcl I'd like to since I can get that ammo fairly cheap. So....
A) is that kind of leading normal for running less than two boxes of lead bullets?
B) what have you found to be an effective way/product to get lead deposits out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yeah, it's lead. The PPU 158 grain .38 Specials I have do that something fierce. What I do is this. I will run one cylinder of the PPU lead rounds through the gun, then I will run a cylinder of FMJ through there. It seems to pull the lead out.

Now, that is only after I have ran 5-6 rounds of lead bullets, not 75. I will not buy anymore of those PPU lead rounds, for it is kinda a PITA to have to do this...I just pay the couple extra dollars a box, for FMJ practice rounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The method of "running some jacketed bullets through" to remove lead deposits in a bore is not ideal. It often burnishes the lead smooth and into any bore imperfections. The Chore Boy/Lewis Lead Remover method of copper scrubber does work, but I prefer using patches cut from a treated lead removal cloth. You can find these cloths at many gun/sports stores or from places like Midway USA. After using a good bore solvent and a bronze brush/patches to remove powder fouling, cut a few tight fitting patches for your cleaning rod jag. Several patches through the bore and chamber throats is usually all that's needed to remove the lead. Be aware that the chemical in the cloth can remove bluing, so confine it to just the bore/chambers on a blued gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts