Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night I got a wild hair and decided to dehorn business end of my PT1911's slide to stop it from shredding my pants and holsters. The dehorning went well and the slide reblued very well. I had previously refinished the entire slide after tiring of it rusting all the time from IWB carry. The bluing went as expected and turned out very satisfactory. While there I thought maybe I should take the sharp edge off of the barrel bushing as well for a more uniform look. After filing and sanding I set out to reblue it... exactly as I had done to the slide... Lets just say the results were less than satisfactory!!!! I can't get ANY bluing to take on this bushing!!!! Any suggestions? Right now I have covered it with black magic marker (I know... pretty *******... but whats a guy to do), it doesn't look too bad unless inspected closely. I have no illusions of it being permanent so I am looking for other possible solutions.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Some steels will not take blue, I know Stainless won't, The bluing process requires the carbon in steel so low carbon steel just wont blue and I have had problems trying to blue MIM steel parts.

You could paint it or have it coated with Cerakote or some other product.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You might have a painted stainless bushing.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts