Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since never having owned a revolver just handguns...........what all will i need to clean my new 85? i have my tooth brush, my cleaning pads, my bore brush, my ballistol, but what should i use as lube? i use tetra gun grease on my 1911's but id think something a little more "liquidy" would be better for the revolver parts??

thanks for your input

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I use Breakfree CLP for a normal lube on my guns as well as tetra grease for some areas. I've found the two work well together. I use ballistol on my black powder guns but don't on my more modern guns. I make up a solution called moose milk (formula is listed all over the net) with ballistol and water. Cuts black powder like it was never there.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ballistol will do it all. The only thing it won't do is clean burn rings off stainless. A lead wipe away cloth will do that.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
As far as oiling, when I apply oil I always use a shaving brush (available at any drug store). I just put three or four drops on the shaving brush, and that's enough to put a nice light coat of oil on an entire pistol. The shaving brush gets the oil in all the nooks and crannies, and it only takes about a minute to do the oiling. For lubricating and protecting I just use regular old rem oil on non-carry weapons. Been using it for a long, long time and it's never let me down. For pistols that I carry I lubricate them with Rem Dri Lube with Teflon as it won't drip on your clothes, and it has no discernible odor. I wipe the outside down with an oily rag, or a silicone impregnated cloth - again depending on whether or not I plan to carry the weapon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
am i the only one who actually likes the smell of ballistol?

Reactions: AdesteAnimo

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I don't mind the smell of it. Lots better than most products of its type, and a product I trust.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
As far as oiling, when I apply oil I always use a shaving brush (available at any drug store). I just put three or four drops on the shaving brush, and that's enough to put a nice light coat of oil on an entire pistol. The shaving brush gets the oil in all the nooks and crannies, and it only takes about a minute to do the oiling. For lubricating and protecting I just use regular old rem oil on non-carry weapons. Been using it for a long, long time and it's never let me down. For pistols that I carry I lubricate them with Rem Dri Lube with Teflon as it won't drip on your clothes, and it has no discernible odor. I wipe the outside down with an oily rag, or a silicone impregnated cloth - again depending on whether or not I plan to carry the weapon.
Or after cleaning it like dbeardslee has said wipe down the outside with "S100" that is available at any Harley dealer, it shines and protects any metal surface from a $25,000.00 Harley to a $10 fishing reel....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use Wally World Carb cleaner spray, Hoppes Nr9 or a similar bore cleaner with brush and for the grand finale I spritz it and wipe it with Wally World Synthetic oil. Supposedly, the Syn Oil does not attract dust (or as much dust maybe?). I have been tempted to try Ballistol tho.

Regarding the S100.... I use that to clean and degrease/debug my motorcycle... but it must be rinsed off with water according to the directions I believe. I would not use it on my guns.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Regarding the S100.... I use that to clean and degrease/debug my motorcycle... but it must be rinsed off with water according to the directions I believe. I would not use it on my guns.
S100 has many cleaning and polishing products and I use several on my Harley but I only use the detail polish on my shootin' iorns, no water needed.....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If I am degreasing I use non chlorinated break cleaning fluid on my revolvers and semi auto's. Semi auto's (steel/poly) break free(barrel bore), frog lube or Ballistol especially on Poly. Revolvers: Hoppe's 9 on steel revolver cylinder bores and barrel bores, break free for the rest and a couple drops of REM oil to finish with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts