Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot: 280 yards with rangefinder 25-30 m.p.h. crosswinds. 210 grain pointed hollowpont, boat tail shot from a .300 Ultra mag and chronoed at 3,000 F.P.S. How much drift should should be expected?

·
Registered
32,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jake, this is a lot like home work.

Depending on the bullet Coeff, altitude and temperature it could vary. 20"-50".

Handloads.Com Ballistic Calculator
Altitude 2,200' ASL, temperature 69 f. It was a sleek spire point hollowpoint, I did not know what the ballistic. coefficient was or brand of bullet. I just watched the shot, from prone position on bipods, one heck of a scope and the other hunter spotting, who saw the impact on the Scimitar Oryx. As losing a wounded Oryx was a sore spot for the hunters and the Ranch and Oryx owner, I never asked the spotter where the point of impact was, but I suspect it was in the brisket in front of the legs and well in front of the heart.

I was of the opinion the shot should not have been taken at that range with that kind of cross winds. With the minimum calculations of 12" and 20" by Bellows and yourself, the hunters probably made some adjustment for wind but missed the heart and leg or shoulder shot by at least 8 inches minimum or the leg or shoulder would have been been hit. Providing the animal ran the way it was facing. He had a little hitch in his get along, but not much. I have done extensive research on the Oryx anatomy and the typical shoulder shot is well above and forward of the Oryx heart. It really doesn't matter now, but if the ranch owner allows them back, he invited them back, really nice guys, hopefully they will never take a risky shot again.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
What a lot of people that actually go out west (for example) and take long shots will tell you after a hunting trip is that cross winds at extended ranges seldom blow in the same direction nor at the same speed.
I have never hunted out west or at extreme distances but several friends tell me its whole lot different than hunting in my parts and a lot different than shooting off a bench here.
I might get a 300 yard shot down a power line here or MAYBE across a field and that's about it when I was hunting using my 300 Win mag and they were pretty much protected from cross winds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts