Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where to get the recipe and or the ingredients to make this stuff? like to make a block to se first hand how certain rounds preform. ive done the water jug thing and it does not give these bullets any justice like a block of gel would. is it legal to make or own this stuff? neighbor dude said it was not but i figured id ask yall rather than trust mr. cheap vodka tonic himself next door. thanks in advance.

found this info online but no way to purchase:

Ballistic gel is prohibitively expensive. Sites that have cited prices have it range from $10-$14 a pound. The FBI is said to use 6x6x16 or 8x6x16 inch blocks. Each block is composed of 1 kilogram of ordnance gelatin powder (about 2.21 pounds) and 9 liters (about 2.37 gallons) of very hot distilled water. Mix well. Set in an area where it can not be contaminated for four to five hours and allow it to naturally cool to room temperature. Chill 48 hours in a sterile environment to a temperature of 4° C (39.2° F). The gel must remain at 5° C to be calibrated. You now have a 22 lb brick of expensive, tasteless gelatin. It is a 10% mixture (90% water, 10% gelatin powder).

It is said that one must purchase at least 25 lbs of the gelatin powder, which should make about 3.6 cubic feet.

A double batch can make a 6x10x18 brick, and a triple batch can make a 10x10x18 brick. You might want to coat your molds with some cooking spray so they pop out. If you forget, you could run hot water over the outside of the mold until it is able to slide out. The gelatin will spoil, so use it within a week. A few drops of wintergreen oil will help keep it fresh, and you never should freeze the gelatin.

The acceptable measure of a block of gelatin is a .177-caliber ground steel BB to penetrate 3.34 inches (8.5 cm) when launched at 590 fps.

The advantage of using this mixture is that you have the closest resemblance to human flesh that the FBI has found (without actually shooting someone). Also, when you shoot it, you can see the soft tissue damage as well as the track of the bullet. The downside is that it is expensive and you only get one shot per block.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
never made the stuff i do not believe you have to go though the whole sterile steps.. clean maybe but sterile is pretty damn hard to come by in this world.

personally i would'nt bother.. instead try old milk jugs of water.. or water logged phone books..
can add some old denim jeans to the mix if you want.

im not overly impressed with gel tests.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
You could probably find larger quantities of the Gelatin from a Restaurant supply house, and make a larger batch. Only limit would be your container size, and your refrigeration limits.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't forget that the block has to be pretty thick. Based on watching mythbusters (those guys are great) and what I have read online, 4 inches of penetration into ballistics gel is roughly equivalent to breaking Human skin. So make it pretty thick to stop a higher powered cartridge.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Are you looking to experiment on with different caliber/loads on you own or are you just looking for jello data for different loads?

Steelheart

·
Registered
329 Posts
there are a lot of different formulas floating around the internet, as well as countless videos on YouTube showing the making of and shooting of the gel blocks.

When Mythbusters made that torso out of gel with a rib cage and a balloon full of fake blood where the heart would be, my first thought was, "I want to shoot that".

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im just curious to see how rounds preform out of my gun. i think the slowmo cam you see when bullets pass thru the block is very interesting. cant get enough of it. its hard to imagine a body cavity expanding like the block does with big rounds.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=929328
Cabela's used to be the only distributer of this but apparently they changed who sells the stuff as I couldn't find it on Cabelas.com. You can also order pre-made blocks or just the raw mix. Midways prices are higher than what I remember from Cabela's.

The stuff is reusable (to a point) and is supposed to give the same results as standard b10% ballistic gelatin so you can compare your results to published testing done elsewhere.

At some point I'd like to get this for my own use (once I can drop that much $$$ on toys for my toys). I'd have posted about this stuff earlier but didn't know who was selling anymore.

Steelheart

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
threefortyduster said:
Don't forget that the block has to be pretty thick. Based on watching mythbusters (those guys are great) and what I have read online, 4 inches of penetration into ballistics gel is roughly equivalent to breaking Human skin. So make it pretty thick to stop a higher powered cartridge.
+1 mythbusters.poor buster

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.