Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot about those plastic ballistic tip bullets being super accurate.
I kind of have my doubts about this... I mean plastic and bullets... come on.
Seriously though I have purchased a few boxes of Nosler ballistic tips in the past for my .300 win mag and despite being outrageously expensive they seem like crap bullets to me.
The tips are crooked in some cases and in others they have deformities and little tags of plastic hanging off them and so on.
I have found this in several different boxes.
This leads me to wonder how can these possibly be accurate at all.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've never seen a ballistic tip as deformed as most of the crushed and misshaped lead tips I see on normal jacketed production rounds. That being said, I rely on regular production ammunition for my hunting needs. I had a .270 that liked Winchester Ballistic Silvertips, but I tried some Fusion rounds at the suggestion of a friend and I was able to out shoot or match what I was able to do with the Ballistic tips. In the end I saved some cash and I don't look at Ballistic Tip ammunition anymore.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Being an ole fart I tend to shy away from "wonder bullets" and stick to more tradtional designs for hunting purposes.

And I have to agree that misshapen or deformed "tips" are not conducive to accuracy.

One of my favorite "fo-pa" movie scenes is an opener in the movie "Sniper" where Tom Barenger is using a nail file to work over a 7.62X51 round.

Ammo, even match or "sniper" ammo is a relatively cheap component in the over all sceam of things; a deformed round would be replaced, not "re-worked", it's dynamics would be all "F"ed up.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My Remington 700 in .308 shoots it's best groups with Nosler Ballistic tip 168gr bullets. I shot this target a couple of years ago. It is four 3 shot groups at 100yards, best group was .486", worst .864" with a .661" average, all 12 shots with no cooling between. Of course none were damaged as the OP described.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Generally a bullet that has most of its weight towards the rear of the bullet is more accurate. It has to do with bullet ballistics. If more of the weight of the bullet is moved away from the axis of rotation then it will stabilize in flight better and create less wobble then a standard bullet. Which is why so many match bullets are hollow points. A ballistic tip such as you are referring to will cut through the air better then a hollow point because there is lower drag created by the hollow point(this is called ballistic coefficient).

On the other hand if the bullets are all screwed up coming out of the box then there must be a manufacturing defect. I have never seen problems like you are referring to

I also seem to remember reading something about the bullet base being the deciding factor in accuracy rather then the tip.

However I am no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I know that with my 17 HMR using ballistic tipped ammo is more accurate than standard HP. With that being said, I am talking about 3/8-1/2" grouping at 75 yds so it is very minimal. I havent tried any for my larger bore guns as if it is within 1 1/2 " at 150 yds so I figure that will do for any lqarge game I hunt or for the ocassional zombie head shot!

·
Registered
273 Posts
All I can trell you is that I have loaded up a lot of .22-.250 and .270 rounds with nylon ballistic tips and I've never had any problems with accuracy. Plus, the expansion is awesome. I've never noticed any nylon overhang, or any that were inserted off center. Box my Browning rifles for these calibers love them.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I always took some fine grit sandpaper to my 30-06 pointed soft points to smooth them out and make them pointy.

SN850316.JPG

2MOA at 100 yards before I sold my rifle.

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
With a .22 pellet gun, I have found them to be highly accurate. I Imagine they are in other more higher powered guns! I've never bought any for center fire calibers.

·
Super Moderator
19,886 Posts
I know Nosler (and probably other makers as well) puts non metallic tips on some ammo which is stored in a tubular magazine to keep the tip of one round from igniting the primer on the round in front of it when the chambered round is fired. My own experience with ballistic tips are with handgun ammo and allows some hollowpoints to chamber more consistently as they partially replicate the round nose FMJ ammo shape to assist with ramp feed, etc. I've not experienced any problems with accuracy, personally, but haven't hunted with it but agree with the responses thus far that the accuracy and efficiency of hollowpoint expansion should be retained with them. Also agree with the responder that if you note significant deformity of the tips, you should probably replace them (or at least not hunt with them). Again, my purpose is guaranteed chambering when I need it - accuracy at SD ranges (generally < 10 yards) shouldn't be affected too much by the shape of the nose of the bullet.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
I've used Nosler Ballistic tip bullets for handloads in 30-06, 308Winc, and 7.62x54R. I've had extremely good performance in 30-06 and 7.62x54R, but not so good in 308. That may have more to do with the chef than with the bullet though. I get less than 1 inch groups with my Sako 30-06 and 2 inch groups with my sporterised Mosin Nagant. Quite honestly, I stopped using anything else, but the Nosler bullets, a few years ago because of their performance in my hand loads.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used the Hornady Leverution or however you spell it, it has the best ballistics in 45-70 compared to other lead or jacketed rounds that I've tried. I haven't used it in anything else. I will state that the accuracy is excellent also.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've never seen a ballistic tip as deformed as most of the crushed and misshaped lead tips I see on normal jacketed production rounds. That being said, I rely on regular production ammunition for my hunting needs. I had a .270 that liked Winchester Ballistic Silvertips, but I tried some Fusion rounds at the suggestion of a friend and I was able to out shoot or match what I was able to do with the Ballistic tips. In the end I saved some cash and I don't look at Ballistic Tip ammunition anymore.

It just doesn't get any better than this, friend! :rating10::happy:

·
10,379 Posts
While I do alright (+/- 1" group at 150 yards) with my Remington CoreLokts in my Savage .270. I've moved to hand loading the Hornady SST 140gr. I can make one ragged hole at 150 yards with those loaded on 53.5gr of 4831. I've got a target somewhere in my house, I'll see if I can get it scanned and throw it up here.

It's an amazing round for my uses. Took my whitetail this year at around 100-120 yards, perfect expansion, no exit wound. Bullet entered and seemed to go BOOM inside the deer, he was DRT, didn't take another step.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
I haven't kept abreast of changes made in the Ballistic tip Nozler projectile in recent years.
but when they hit the market they were the cats meow!
IF memory serves the round was developed from the solid base hollow point Nozler match projectile and it and the ballistic tip was deadly accurate and a very low ballistic coefficient as well.
The poly tip was placed in the end as I understand it to remove the likely occurence of the tip becoming damaged from recoil in rifles (including bolt actions) as the ammo pounded against the front end of the magazine, I understand that the jacket of the projectile was also redesigned to make it better at expansion than the match bullet.
I know i have made some pretty good long range shots wiht my 300 Win mag and the 165 grain Ballistic tip and I reloaded them for several friends that made some darned unbelievable shots across power line and fields with the things.
this was of course before they were availbale in Factory loadings.
I no longer hunt so I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest hunting projectiles.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Years ago the choices for jacketed rifle bullets was simple, FMJ full metal jacket with the lead core seated in the jacket from the base. They were also the military bullets. Lead tip soft points in round, flat and pointed tips, and hollow points. Pointed soft points were easy to deformed, the FMJ and hollow points were not. The bullet tip of plastic started out as a way to make ammo a little more durable. Driving the plastic tip back into the jacket on impact was just icing on the cake. I have loaded and shot thousands of them with no problems. Love them in small calibers where they can help the BC on small bullets and sure do not hurt performance. On the flip side though I like a big heavy hard cast for hand gun critter thumping.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got a Savage 93 in .22 WMR and sighting it in at 100 yds. I got a couple 3/4" groups with Hornady V-MAX 30 gr. Not too bad with a brand new rifle.

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
I just got a Savage 93 in .22 WMR and sighting it in at 100 yds. I got a couple 3/4" groups with Hornady V-MAX 30 gr. Not too bad with a brand new rifle.
Yes Sir and the 17 HMR 17 grain V-max isn't to bad either!
now this is from a prone position, supported with sand bags!
definitely not free hand from this old man.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes Sir and the 17 HMR 17 grain V-max isn't to bad either!
now this is from a prone position, supported with sand bags!
definitely not free hand from this old man.
Good shootin'! I moved out to 200 yds. and got a couple groups just under an inch with the V-MAX. Too bad I had to send the rifle back to Savage because it was misfiring. I'm starting to like long distance shooting, I think it could become addicting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts