Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Rossi '92 in .357 a few weeks ago, had terrible feeding issues, so I took it back to the dealer who sent it to the importers. A week or so later the dealer rings to say the rifle is back, but it is completely siezed? I called in and, sure enough, I cannot move the lever at all.

Apparently when it came back the dealer racked it a couple of times to check it and noticed it was stiff, racked it again and that was it, stuck.

He returned my money on the spot. I ended up buying a pretty Chiappa .357 Trapper. No issues, action smooth, and accurate.

I have had Rossi rifles in the past, and have had no issues at all, I still have a stainless Rossi (it has 'By Taurus' on the barrel) .357 with a 24" octagonal barrel and that is a peach, so I went for a .44 Rossi '92 as well.

Whaddaya know it, exact same issues. Before you say it, no, it was not from the same dealer. So I took it back, got mymoney back and bought a .44 Henry Big Boy instead. Twice the price, but it sure looks bomb proof.

Has anybody else come across this type of problem or am I just unlucky?

·
Super Moderator
35,009 Posts
My only 92 is 25+ years old, works fantastic. But, haven't messed with one lately.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Never owned one, but your problems, even though it is only one situation, does not intrigue me to go out and get one. When it comes time for me to look for another lever gun, I will have to do a lot of research.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I dont have one, the only Rossi I have is a revolver and I love it. I highly recommend them.

But I did look at a few rifles a while back. I went with a Marlin.

One Rossi had an issue with a loading door. The guy hands it to me in the shop, I'm looking it over and it looks like the loading gate is stuck open on the side. I tried using a finger to free it, but it just didnt get unstuck. I handed it back to the guy in the shop who was also a smith, he messed with it a bit and said it would require tools to free it. I just chalked it up to a gun store display gun that got handled alot by people who didnt know what they were doing.

Thats the only negative Rossi rifle experience I have had.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Earlier this year, I bought a R92 .44Mag with the long octagon stainless barrel and receiver, and it has been flawless in function. The only problem I have had, and it is very minor, is that the front sight is slightly bent to the left, probably from shipping. Not a problem because I was planning on replacing the sight with a fiber optic front sight anyway.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Earlier this year, I bought a R92 .44Mag with the long octagon stainless barrel and receiver, and it has been flawless in function. The only problem I have had, and it is very minor, is that the front sight is slightly bent to the left, probably from shipping. Not a problem because I was planning on replacing the sight with a fiber optic front sight anyway.
That is the model I have (but in .357) with no problems at all, I wonder if they put more care into the manufacture of the more expensive models. Mind you having 'Rossi by Taurus' on the barrel may be an indication as to why the quality is better.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have a 92 in 45 Colt 20" Octagon barrel, SIL has the the same gun in round barrel. I have a friend I shoot with that has the Ranch Hand in 357. None of us has experienced any issues with these rifles. I have personally slicked the actions of all three rifles.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I'll find out tomorrow. I have one on it's way right now. How much does a box of 44 mag cost in the UK? About 25 dollars for 50 over here.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll find out tomorrow. I have one on it's way right now. How much does a box of 44 mag cost in the UK? About 25 dollars for 50 over here.
Here are some good prices (Pounds not Dollars!).

.44 Remington Magnum FPJ 240gr 50 rounds per box. £29

.44 mag Sellier & Bellot 240gr soft point EXPANDING AMMUNITION price per box of 50. £25

Silly prices.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 92 in 45 Colt 20" Octagon barrel, SIL has the the same gun in round barrel. I have a friend I shoot with that has the Ranch Hand in 357. None of us has experienced any issues with these rifles. I have personally slicked the actions of all three rifles.
I had both rifles 'slicked' made no difference. Anyway, why SHOULD you have to slick a rifle you have just paid good money for?

Would you buy a new car that you had to take apart and fettle the engine?

I will never buy another Rossi, which is a shame as I do like the one I own (image attached is my actual rifle from the dealer advert), and the Puma I had was also a good rifle, but I don't like to gamble on the quality of any firearm I buy.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased a brand new 44m Rossi M92 and cannot recommend them. Yes the loading gate will cut you but IF that was the only problem.
1) cartridges are released intermitanty from the tubular magazine
2) if cartridges are released then they are lifted at an acute angle to the chamber that they usually jam entering the chamber
extraction is good but what is the use of a firearm which you are cycling and cannot get a cartridge in the barrel

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I will keep you guys posted as I test mine out. Mine have been cleaned and lubed and do cycle dummy rounds very well. the .357 I cycled .38 and .357 live rounds because my .38 dummies were out of spec and they cycled well no hang ups. Will do a range report over the next week or so.
Have a 92 in 44mag and one in .357, Rio Grande in 30-30.
I am going to shoot them factory stock for at least 200-300 rounds prior to any fluff and buff or action work. Will not be sending them back unless there is a catastrophic failure and they would have to be replaced. My gunsmith is good and I have seen the results of Taurus's tech's working on my revolvers and it was not pretty. May also utilize Steve's Gunz. I did not pay allot for these so if I have to drop a little money into them I am OK with that. They seem sturdy enough, and are externally well finished. Parts are available as well unlike some of the other Taurus platforms.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I had both rifles 'slicked' made no difference. Anyway, why SHOULD you have to slick a rifle you have just paid good money for?

Would you buy a new car that you had to take apart and fettle the engine?

I will never buy another Rossi, which is a shame as I do like the one I own (image attached is my actual rifle from the dealer advert), and the Puma I had was also a good rifle, but I don't like to gamble on the quality of any firearm I buy.
When it comes to "clicking" a rifle, apart from getting it to work, that is not uncommon at all, or has it been since mass production was invented. Colt handguns of a bygone era are a good example. If you wanted a .357 revolver as slick as a Python, from the factory, you paid the price for a Python. Tigers of the same time period were a much more sturdy revolver and were much cheaper but they weren't as "slick". Many folks learned how to slice them up and spent the money they saved on more ammo.

That is not meant to excuse a gun that doesn't function correctly out of the box, but if you expect it to be butter smooth out of the box every time be prepared to pay for it.

I got lucky I guess with my new 92, .357. Other than a slight plum color to the receiver and the forearm wood being a bit "squared off" as opposed to an original, the trigger is fine (very good actually for a levergun), sights, while a gross design, are dead on, functions with everything and is very accurate (again excellent for the type) and it is as smooth as any 92 of any manufacture that hasn't been "massaged".

I hope everyone who gets a problem gun raises holy $&### with the factory until they all come out like mine. The problems I have heard about are all easily fixable in manufacturing and certainly should be caught by decent QC procedures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts