Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I decided to be cheap. Ive been looking at aftermarket sights for a while now but I just cant bring myself to spend 80-90 for some truglo or meprolight sights, so i did the next best thing.

I got the brightest finger nail polish that my wife had and went from there.

I didnt like the stock white dot sights so I improvised and it made a huge difference in visability.

I shot from about 40-45 feet away. My rear sight was loose a while back and I think it might moved a little before I tightened it. So im not sure how close the accuracy is to stock, but it works for me.

Let me know what yall think.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was also firing from a free hand standing postion with a lot of wind so you can obviously see some sway.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
My sights were getting a bit dull, so I did something like that.
Bought a $1 bottle of reddish-orange nail polish at a Family Dollar and dabbed the sigths.
Much better.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I was thinking about getting a set of Nightsighters, but this would be a more cost effective solution. How well does the polish hold up over time?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Probably about as well as it does on a fingernail.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I have neon yellow/green nail polish on the rear and neon reddish/orange on the front of all my guns right now. My wife drug me into a Claire's Boutique at the mall. She looked at me funny when I picked these two nail polishes up and said to get them for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted a neon yellow color but hot pink was all she had which still works great. I'm assuming that it will last longer than it would if it was on fingernails, since nails are constantly brushing up against things throughout the day. My wife did say that the brand I used was the longest lasting brand. I'm going to apply a clear coat today when I get home. Probably fingernail polish clear coat. I'm thinking that should extend the life of the paint. Plus if you don't like the colors, you can just remove it or paint right over it. Well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I wonder if it would last longer if you put some clear on top of the color? Someone raid the wife's make-up case and find out.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Consider O.I.P. nail polish. My wife assures me this is the most durable on the market. Used by pro pedicurists.

I use it on my Bodyguard and LCP and it resists Hoppes solvent very well. Lot of colors available; I clean thoroughly with alcohol and apply two coats of orange.

Years ago I contacted an officer in the U.S army signal corps (while it still existed) and he said orange was best at varying distances under the widest range of lighting conditions with normal eyesight. Just FYI...

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
There's another thread here on the same subject.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if it would last longer if you put some clear on top of the color? Someone raid the wife's make-up case and find out.
That's what I did just earlier today. I'm thinking it will work pretty good.

Consider O.I.P. nail polish. My wife assures me this is the most durable on the market. Used by pro pedicurists.

I use it on my Bodyguard and LCP and it resists Hoppes solvent very well. Lot of colors available; I clean thoroughly with alcohol and apply two coats of orange.

Years ago I contacted an officer in the U.S army signal corps (while it still existed) and he said orange was best at varying distances under the widest range of lighting conditions with normal eyesight. Just FYI...
I actually did use O.P.I. Nail polish brand. My wife told me the same thing, that it was the longest lasting. Hell it better be for $8 a bottle. I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture but the color is a hot pinkish orange. It stands out really well. I just wasn't sure rather or not the front dot should be a different color. Did you hear any input on that from the officer?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I like a contrasting color for the front sight dot in a 3 dot setup.
Green (555nm) is the color the human eye sees the best.
I like the orange rear and green front 3 dot setup like the truglo tfo, this just really seems to stand out for me.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I actually did use O.P.I. Nail polish brand. My wife told me the same thing, that it was the longest lasting. Hell it better be for $8 a bottle. I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture but the color is a hot pinkish orange. It stands out really well. I just wasn't sure rather or not the front dot should be a different color. Did you hear any input on that from the officer?[/QUOTE]

No, we just discussed best colors at varying distances according to studies conducted by signal corps. Not firearm related.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts