Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I certainly can't say for sure. It does seem like maybe it's very slow or maybe hit/miss. Maybe call the shop and ask them.

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
NICS was working at my LGS this afternoon, but the demand nationwide is causing delays that range from many minutes to hours to, according to internet reports, days. Like darbo said, call and ask them the best time for you to try it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, call the shop and ask. They're the ones who can give you accurate info for their situation.

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Do none of your state CCW/CHP/CHL or whatever your state's nomenclature is, not count for your background check?

And you who live in states which require a permit JUST TO BUY A GUN (eg., FOID) are those being deflated held up as well?

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Last few times I purchased a gun they did not do a background ck.
In my state (perhaps in all?) if you have a carry permit- it is your background ck. I still had to fill out the form- but as soon as I was done- they handed me the gun. They keep the form on file, but do not have to run the ck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
In Illinois, we have FOID but no required additional permit to purchase. Each FFL pickup/purchase requires a background check, whether or not one has a CCL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do none of your state CCW/CHP/CHL or whatever your state's nomenclature is, not count for your background check?

And you who live in states which require a permit JUST TO BUY A GUN (eg., FOID) are those being deflated held up as well?
Oregon. CCW allows me to carry a concealed firearm, that's it. To buy we still have to go through the background check, which is done by our state police. No FOIDs or anything like that, but buying is the same process whether or not you have a carry permit.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts

Florida really dropped the ball when they started the CCW thing. They should have made the CCW our background check when buying guns. We do get to bypass the wait period but still have to go through another background check and pay $5 to do it.

·
Premium Member
12,518 Posts
There are a lot of first time gun buyers and I think that's great. My wife's boss just bought an AR-15 and a Glock 45, his first gun purchases ever. People are scared and find comfort in owning a gun. Hangups in background checks and even issuance of carry permits should not be allowed. It's the gun control system they wanted so they should be made to insure it works. Here's an article in regards to carry permits and the use of the virus as an excuse to withhold them. So much for the state, "Shall Issue", laws.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/20/coronavirus-philly-police-halt-concealed-permit/

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
264 Posts
well let me just say/ask--so how many think we should maintain say an additional 15000 hospital beds in buildings that we would never use except when an emergency arises?
how many think we should have twice the number of fire stations and manpower and equipment just so we have them available when a Hurricane/tornado/ flooding occurs, how many think we should have 1 1/2 times the number of Police cars that we actually use just for times of unrest or civil disobedience?
NOW how many are willing to pay the extra taxes to maintain and have this stuff that MAY be used once in every 2-3-5-10 or never years?
perhaps we as Adults should prepare ourselves for things that occur in our lives ahead of time?
We as gun people look at risk properly - probability vs consequences. The carrying of a handgun provides coverage for the gravest personal extreme consequences of being unarmed during a lethal force encounter. But the probability of finding ones self in that situation are extremely small, so small that we'll probably go the rest of our lives never actually needing the instant use of a handgun. So you prepare for dire consequences, choosing adequate equipment for that extreme we all hope never comes, and not fluff it off as "ain't never gonna happen", or to carry something unsuitable for the same false reasoning.

As to your question which boils down to preparedness for a serious national health emergency versus money cost. The cost in lives is your consequences factor, plus all the economic disruption which can become permanent. What's the probability of something like that happening? Well, even absent the current situation, we know throughout recorded history that deadly epidemics and pandemics do happen. Governments are instituted at all levels to provide for essential services - police, fire, military, medical, financial systems, transport, and these days communications/internet. We pay for what we think we need, informed by knowledge gained from experience.

So let me ask you this question in response - by way of illustrative thought process - how much should we spend on a standing army? Should military leadership assess world risk factors, make plans and test scenarios, maintain troop readiness through training and equipment and logistical support? All of this costs a great deal of money, and no one has invaded the united states since 1812. Probability is exceedingly low, but the consequences are terrifying if unprepared.

So in answer to your question - I say we should have the capability to assess world health conditions with a system in place to monitor and act with speed to ramp up response capability at a national level. The world, including the USA has excellent experts in the fields of biological risk factors. These are the people who should be monitoring, assessing, and listened to when they raise the alarm, with government policy supporting what needs to be done. I don't know what the money cost would be, but we could look to where adequate systems are in place already and learn from them. I say we pay this money because the consequences are terrifying if unprepared.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, Saturday at 9: o’clock I filled out the 4473 background check and it went for the usual 10 minutes. Came back as delayed. Usually walking out the door with gun at 10 minutes. Sunday morning now still haven’t heard back. The system is overloaded as all are coming back delayed. I ordered this gun before all this rush went down. They had no 9 mm or 223 - 556 left either. It was a bad experience. Just kinda scary to see this store cleaned out.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
So in answer to your question - I say we should have the capability to assess world health conditions with a system in place to monitor and act with speed to ramp up response capability at a national level. The world, including the USA has excellent experts in the fields of biological risk factors. These are the people who should be monitoring, assessing, and listened to when they raise the alarm, with government policy supporting what needs to be done. I don't know what the money cost would be, but we could look to where adequate systems are in place already and learn from them. I say we pay this money because the consequences are terrifying if unprepared.
AND if you can get say a few 10 million plus or so close friends to also agree to send some money to the Federal Government then it can happen!
point is that we really are not going to pay extra taxes to cover a "Just in case scenario" simple as that-- History has told us this.
people already criticize when they see a policeman in a resturant getting a cup of coffee or see a couple Firemen sitting on a bench outside the station, not thinking hey he/they might have just got back from a call where they saved someone(s) life and are in between calls-- can you see a fleet of police cars, Fire stations sitting idol or a vacant building full of empty beds and medical equipment?

·
Registered
264 Posts
You've missed my point. We already have the basic monitoring capability - and it doesn't cost all that much. But when the alarm bells are rung by competent people in a position to actually know something important to the entire population, the government should listen and ramp up and spend whatever it takes to fight that battle. I'm not talking about idle capacity sitting around unused.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
You've missed my point. We already have the basic monitoring capability - and it doesn't cost all that much. But when the alarm bells are rung by competent people in a position to actually know something important to the entire population, the government should listen and ramp up and spend whatever it takes to fight that battle. I'm not talking about idle capacity sitting around unused.
ahh, aren't we doing that ??
lest remember that this particular Virus was kept secret by China until it got loose and was spread across the globe, including here.
I personally think its no where near over or even close.
we (America) have a huge homeless population as well as undocumented people wandering around the streets, these people generally are not going to seek medical attention no matter how much is available until great numbers of them begin to die.
ever been to a SHHOT HOUSE?? you know a vacant structure where addicts hang out together sharing needles, pipes and smokes?
ahh health and well being are not a top priority here and then they leave and intermingle with other fellow addicts and propel walking the street to go to work etc.
believe me I know I worked in those areas for many years.
I worked in public safety for decades and have been involved in the INNER working of government--including the 1996 Olympics where tons of money was spent (and wasted) to insure what ever goes wrong we got it-- fast forward to the SHTF and nope!
cluster and people running around like chickens with their heads cut off, I think the Federal Government (white House ) has surrounded itself with people a lot better in position to make decisions than I am for sure and simply must trust those that have actual input into what is happening.
the question is IF they can address the situation in the correct manner and money doesn't make some people smarter or wiser.
and for the gun buyers--well settle down things will get back to normal soon and then you can put them new guns in the sock drawer until next emergency.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts