Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Florida we are charged $5 for the background check when buying firearms. Do other states have some sort of charge for the background check? Co-worker, Mr Know-it-all, tells me it's just a Fl. thing. I don't know it all so I'm asking! I am asking specifically about the background check, not FFL transfer fees.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I think all FFL's are charged a fee for the background check, some just choose to pass it on to the customer in the form of a back ground check fee. Other include it in their selling price and don't list it as a separate fee. I'm guessing based on Florida Sales Tax laws if they list it as a fee it is not taxable so they don't have to charge/pay sales tax on it. Most of the guns I have purchased form dealers has been based on an out the door price. They then give me a receipt showing me gun price, sales tax, and back ground check fee. In some case my receipt just say $XXX and does not break out taxes and the fee.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Arizona does not.
Heck, it usually takes longer to box back up the gun you are purchasing than to do the background check here in Arizona.

Reactions: darbo

·
Administrator
40,276 Posts
My local garage FFL charges $10 bucks, when he thinks about. In brick and mortar stores, I've never seen a fee.

Never mind, I thought we were talkin ' transfer fees.

Never been charged a background check fee anywhere. But then I hold a TLC, and one isn't required.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
None in KY, but in truth we run very few. A valid permit in this state means no check (Frankfort runs all CCDW holders monthly. If there's a problem they come and take it.) We probably check ten percent of customers. KY is a cool state. You can buy automatic knives too, but ony carry one with a permit.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Don't know if it's a state requirement but it appears here in Wisconsin it's a $10.00 fee and then most FFL's add another $15.00 - $30.00 on top that as a transfer fee.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I think it has to do with whether they use NICS or not. The Feds provide NICS at no cost, but states using their own system are usually required by law to charge for it to cover the costs.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Some states do and some states don't....

Florida charges the fee because background checks go through Florida Dept of Law enforcement. The fee originally was $8.00 but then was reduced to $5.00 a number of years ago. An FFL here charges the buyer $5.00 because they receive a bill monthly for all firearms they sell each month.

Don

·
Registered
478 Posts
In MN I've never been charged a fee for a background check, but different FFL's will charge their own transfer fee. Fortunately I grew up with a guy who got an FFL that has the decency to only charge me $20. One shop I went to said theirs was $75!! I promptly turned around and haven't been back since. Of course this was also a place that during the ammo crunch was charging $25 for 50 rds of blazer brass, and would get one bucket of Remington golden .22's that they would divvy up into 50 rnd ziploc baggies for $10. I'll support local to a point, but that's just gouging and I dont mind if they end up the way of the dinosaurs.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
I buy all my guns from Geromes Rolling Cadilliac Gun Store down in Vine City part of Atlanta, he don't have no extra charges or taxes of any kind, what this background check you all keep talking about????

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
No charge in Minnesota.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Ohio does not.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
More KY coolness-concealed carry permits and LEOSA permits are free to LE and retired LE. The theory is they want trained people armed, and, I guess, they want some value for the cost of training you.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts