Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
22,830 Posts
Back of the slide? Meaning what you look at when you take up a firing stance? That would be odd. Can you post some pics? Does cleaning and oiling change it?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back of the slide? Meaning what you look at when you take up a firing stance? That would be odd. Can you post some pics? Does cleaning and oiling change it?
I can take some pics tomorrow during daylight. I doubt my camera will produce good enough photos indoors.
Yes its the back, when you take aim. No it has turned grey, cannot wash off the grey at all. Its as if that part got heated and the paint dissipated. I don't know how to explain it better. I don't complain. I am just scared something might go wrong. I have never shot +P ammo in her

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
The back of the sides ot top of the slide or the very end that is actually a polymer/plastic piece?
Could be lube or cleaner discoloration or even a film of dirt.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Do you mean the dust cover that hides the striker? It's plast, and probably being discolored by cleaning solvents like scoutfish.

Reactions: jeepster54

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The back of the sides ot top of the slide or the very end that is actually a polymer/plastic piece?
That'd be my guess. Have you used Gun Scrubber or similar product on it? Usually a little Hoppe's will bring the black back.

Reactions: jeepster54

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Do you mean the dust cover that hides the striker? It's plast, and probably being discolored by cleaning solvents like scoutfish.
I am not a cleaning solvent good sir! Thank you very much! :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, that plastic part is still original black.
The part of the slide that goes over it is gray.
I will take photos tomorrow. It appeared very suddenly I must add.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Did you use a cleaner or have you handled any chemicals today? Brake fluid, starter fluid, laquer or laquer thinner?
Maybe your hands are sweaty? I know that last one sounds stupid, but my S&W M1917 will start looking grey until I wipe it down. The oily film on my hands makes sheen that makes the gun look grey-ish because of how it reflects the light. Especially in cooler weather.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
Reactions: scoutfish

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a photo as requested. As you can see on the left there is a bit of black left. The rest of the slide, both sides, when viewed from the side is still as new.

I'm sure you will also notice that the rear sight is not 100% horizontal:) But that happens when the sight is adjusted to its max height. PT709.jpg

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Is this an EDC? You keep in a holster alot?

I notice the red paint on the sights is all but worn away too. Maybe something rubbing the paint dull on the metal but not affecting the poly parts. Maybe fading if exposed to sunlight over time while sitting upright in a holster?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this an EDC? You keep in a holster alot?

I notice the red paint on the sights is all but worn away too. Maybe something rubbing the paint dull on the metal but not affecting the poly parts. Maybe fading if exposed to sunlight over time while sitting upright in a holster?
Yes, this is my edc. I conceal carry, so the only sun it sees is when I am shooting it outdoors.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If my dog had a face like that, I'd shave its butt and make it walk backwards. lol

·
Super Moderator
40,611 Posts
Looks like the finish is just wearing off, find out what is rubbing against it to stop the wear.

Reactions: Hunter2020

·
22,830 Posts
I'm confused at this point. Yeah, I know.

Is it discoloration, or is the finish just wearing off?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts