Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I woke up this morning.. I feel good.. very well rested. So back to the range we go practice again one handed shooting. With my wrist and hand injury on on strong hand, I really should not shoot even two handed with say my .380 acp or 9mm. I'm not bad one handed using my weak hand or some people call off hand, with my Taurus PT-22 in .22LR.. but I wanted to practice more with my Heritage Rough Rider (owned by Taurus) in .22LR as it is a heavier gun as well.

I also love shooting this gun as I got it about 3 years ago for $99.00 at one of those Academy Sports black friday deals.. and that was the "first" and "last" time I will go out on black friday shopping... sorry.. but I saw first hand how "nasty" people can be.

Here is the target that I was shooting at, a bit under 10 yards. I was at Kilo Charlie shooting range, in Lexington S.C. a great place to shoot at, veteran owned as well.. and they are going places. Nice people down there.

At first, I did those head shots to get my bearing a bit better as this is the "3rd" time I've ever shot one hand (and weak / off handed), after that I got my sight picture corrected and I was doing good half-way thru. I was shooting Geco .22LR ammo (German import) which was ok, but the cases were sticking a bit in the cylinder when I was using the extraction rod, the .22LR ammo that I had from Federal, just the bulk stuff.. no problems.. so I switched to that for the majority of my shooting.

While certainly is not my first choice for a self defense gun, along with my Taurus PT-22 at least it's "something" that not only can I shoot one handed.. I can also "LOAD" one handed. This also is true with the Taurus PT-22 as I don't even have to rack the slide as it has the pop up barrel that I can load the last round into battery and I'm good the good / GTG. I had a great time this morning... and now I'm looking around at ammo sales... ect. Have a great day.. Thanks for reading - H.T.
NOTE: Not sure why the web site is showing the picture on the side, as it is "not" landscaped on my computer.. interesting. :)
off hand.jpg

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Where there is a will there is always a way. Never give up! I don't have a 22 pistol to shoot off handed, one hand! May have to try with the S&W 380EZ.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where there is a will there is always a way. Never give up! I don't have a 22 pistol to shoot off handed, one hand! May have to try with the S&W 380EZ.
Agreed.. it's an eye opener for me.. because I was like "well.. I should of been practicing one handed all of this time". The one thing I'm looking at today, is some videos on Youtube in regards to racking the slide with "one hand". I may practice that today using some snap caps with my .380acp.

·
8,887 Posts
Shooting off hand should be part of everyone's range practice. I also try to include shooting one handed strong hand as well. Looks like you got it down. In your case I might suggest you move up to a larger caliber next, if you can handle the recoil with your left hand. But for now - you developed a solution to the temporary handicap. I like the challenge of shooting left handed with all my handguns - makes you really focus on the basics again.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shooting off hand should be part of everyone's range practice. I also try to include shooting one handed strong hand as well. Looks like you got it down. In your case I might suggest you move up to a larger caliber next, if you can handle the recoil with your left hand. But for now - you developed a solution to the temporary handicap. I like the challenge of shooting left handed with all my handguns - makes you really focus on the basics again.
Totally agree... soon, I'm going to work on shooting the Taurus TCP 738 (.380acp), racking the slide one handed is what I am reseaching today. I may be able to use my belt or belt buckle to do it.. and again.. I have dummy rounds / aluminum snap type caps to practice this at home.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
When I practice, I do a few mags/cylinders of normal shooting then switch to single strong hand, single weak hand then awkward positioning. The reason is there no telling how you may be forced to discharge a firearm to save your life.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I enjoy shooting weak hand (my left) been doing it for a long time and encourage all to do so simply because you never lbow if and when an injury can affect your strong hand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts