Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum! It's been a while.

Due to some family emergencies, i wasn't able to purchase the Taurus pistols i had my eye on earlier last year (OSS DS 45, a 24/7 G2 in 45, and a 709)

Now that I've got things back in order and have had some time to more carefully consider my options for pistols, I think I'd like to invest in two firearms as CCW's. One that holds 10-15 rounds of 9mm (a 'compact', bigger than a pocket-gun, but not a full-sized duty pistol) and then something smaller like a taurus-709, Ruger-LC9, KelTec-PF9, ect. for deep concealment/comfort.

After taking a few "pocket 9mm's" for a test drive at the range, I've decided that the 709 in stainless will fill the role of my small-carry. It's just too smooth, too comfortable and too good looking to say no to.

But as a main-carry or "big brother" to my 709, I'm stuck between three options.

Sig P250 Sub-Compact, 12 rounds, 6.7" long, 1.1" wide, 4.7" tall, $420-$480
Smith & Wesson M&P9C, 12 rounds, 6.7" long, 1.2" wide, 4.3" tall, $425-$495
Taurus 24/7 G2Compact, 13 rounds, 6.5" long, 1.2" wide, 5" tall, $400-$465

They are all great guns, they all have different features and strengths and are all roughly the same price (the 24/7 is a little cheaper, but only by about $15-$20)

I'm leaning toward the S&W, but only because it's so much lighter than the other two (Taurus=27oz, Sig=25oz, S&W=22oz)

I'd like to hear your thoughts, opinions ect. on the matter. I've posted to a few other boards just to get a wide array of opinions.

·
Registered
24,598 Posts
No question in my mind. Taurus 24/7. Has been reliable in the long run and it is a good lookin gun.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Have you thought about the PT111 Mil G2?? 12 rds. and less expensive? I have the M&P40C and my Mil Pro's are so much more comfortable handling for me. In any case, nothing wrong with any of your three choices, but I'd look at the Mil G2 if you haven't already.

·
22,294 Posts
coughXDcompactcough

I've never held or fired a Smith semiauto that impressed me. At all. And I don't like their take on the trigger safety idea. The warranty and the 1911 style safety would put the Taurus in my holster before the Sig.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm really not a fan of the grip safety on springfields. That being said, i've enjoyed the few xd's i've shot

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I have the Sig P250SC 9mm and it's very nice and it has that transformer option. Very close in size to my MilPro PT145. I use the same holsters for both.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been trying to find a range in my area (or within an hour drive) that has a pt11G2, but i haven't been able to find one.

Also the two 111G2's I've seen at my local gun shop were priced the same as the 24/7G2C, I flipped a coin on the one I should consider (and I thought the full size extra mag with the 24/7 was a nice addition for range time. I'd never carry the 17-round mag for edc, but it's nice to not have to reload quite as often)

But the 111G2 is definitely on my radar.

This is a purchase i'll be making in roughly1-3 months, so I should have enough time to weigh all my options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having 7 rounds is nice (much better than being defenseless), But having a dozen rounds would be nicer in my opinion.

For my piece of mind, I would feel better having 6 sets of double-taps than 3 with a "winger".

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
If you have the 709 already I'd go with the 24/7 or the MilPro as suggested. The manual of arms (where everything is at and functions) should be virtually the same. That way if you get into an OH SH!T situation you don't have to remember which gun you have. JMO.

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
The time proven (1904) 9 mm cartridge in the compact (3.2" barreled) light weight (22 oz.) thin (1.2") hi-capacity (12+1) PT-111 G2 is the closest thing to a "Once Size Fits All" duty/off duty/concealed carry self defense gun one can find.

After a 50 year search, and until something better comes along, it "IS" my "GRAIL" gun for such purposes.

·
Registered
36,297 Posts
Well in 9 MM I have 2 small weapons that I love, the Taurus 24/7 C Pro D/S, which they no longer make, I am not familiar with the G-2 at all.
and my number one carry gun is the Beretta PX4 SC (sub compact), SA/DA, great fixed low profile sights (with the option) from Beretta to get fully adjustable sights, Tritum sights, fiber optic sights, it has a 3 inch barrel, super great tooling and machining, Bruniton finish, great Berertta support, including all kinds of accessories, you know like "Magazines"and "Holsters", and superior factory service, Here the gun runs about 509.00 bucks.
really think of it as fat 709, other than width (ambi saety) its the same height/ length as the 709.-really smaller
OH and it packs 13 +1 rounds of 9MM goodness
They also make a compact in 4 inch barrel..

Attachments

Reactions: Fibonacci

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the px4storm-compact was one of my first choices when i was making my list of possible options, but the cheapest i could find it in my area was around $525-$550.
That was almost as much as a new pt111g2 and a 709 combined.
The Px4 full-size and compact ARE sexy guns, and they feels amazing to shoot. But i need something i wont mind getting scuffed, scratched, dirty, or possibly relinquished to the authorities if it were to be used to save my life or that of my family.

A few friends have been pressuring me to "suck it up and get a Glock" but personally.........
(*whispers* I don't like the way glock's feel in my hand AT ALL... and they cost too much *ends whispering*)

The one feature i like that the 24/7G2 has that the PT111G2 doesn't, is the decocker option to force it back into DA-mode. That's how I'd like to carry ideally, round in the chamber, DA, safety-off
Thanks for the advise so-far everyone, i hope to get even more input from you all

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The one feature i like that the 24/7G2 has that the PT111G2 doesn't, is the decocker option to force it back into DA-mode. That's how I'd like to carry ideally, round in the chamber, DA, safety-off
Thanks for the advise so-far everyone, i hope to get even more input from you all
You need to decock the 24/7 Pro to force it to go to DA for the 1st shot but you do not need to decock the 24/7 G2 to have the 1st shot in DA because the 24/7 G2 has DA/SA trigger. I rarely used the decocker safety on the 24/7 Pro & 24/7 G2 pistols.

·
Registered
36,297 Posts
To each his/her own!
550 bucks for a tool that will last you a life time isn't that much to me but we all must live (or Die) within or budgets. the PX4 of course comes with the decocker and several other features to numerous to mention, but there are plenty of other good/great weapons out here, we all have our likes/dislikes.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Sig P250 Sub-Compact, 12 rounds, 6.7" long, 1.1" wide, 4.7" tall, $420-$480
Smith & Wesson M&P9C, 12 rounds, 6.7" long, 1.2" wide, 4.3" tall, $425-$495
Taurus 24/7 G2Compact, 13 rounds, 6.5" long, 1.2" wide, 5" tall, $400-$465

Of those the closest I have is a Sig P250C in .40 S&W. I love it, it is an accurate firearm that goes bang when I want it to and has proven very reliable.

I am also kicking around getting the 24/7 G2 in .45 acp and from the ones I have handled and shot, I like them alot as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, if i can find a good deal on a PT111G2 (hopefully in stainless) I'll get it. After looking at it again real hard, it's starting to grow on me.

I'm trying to keep my options for my semi-auto's in 9mm simply for the convenience of not having to buy multiple calibers of ammo.
I already do enough of that with my revolvers (went to the range last week and foolishly brought my 44mag rounds with my Ruger black-hawk 41magnum) ended up having to spend an extra $60 to get some ammo there rather than drive all the way home.

Maybe in a year or so I'll get a 24/7G2C.... or if i can sweet-talk my local gun store owner into giving me a deal

·
Registered
762 Posts
Okay, if i can find a good deal on a PT111G2 (hopefully in stainless) I'll get it. After looking at it again real hard, it's starting to grow on me.
Bud's Gun Shop has one in black for $333.00. I almost pulled the trigger myself but am waiting for an M66 revolver I just purchased.:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts