Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backwoods Home Magazine makes some of Massad Ayoob's articles available for viewing online. I find it very interesting reading and wanted to share:

Columns by Massad Ayoob

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
I know he likes 9mm, ut that guy knows his stuff. His articles are worth reading.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Thanks for the links. Massad is without a doubt one of the premier authorities when it comes to the use of firearms in police/tactical/defensive situations. I put more stock in what he has to say than just about anybody else.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I do enjoy reading his articles. You can always find something informative in them.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for posting the link, Pbass.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I always enjoy his work.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
I agree he's one of the most educated men on fire arms and law there is. In a shooting it would be worth your money to pay to have him testify on your side.
I know that if you take one of his classes he will testify for you I don't know if its free but probably at a good discount. He will change the out come of your case.

·
32,659 Posts
If you want to take a look at his other works Gun Digest has his 5th and 6th additions of Combat Handgunnery that are awesome.

For his other works there is www.ayoob.com . Police Bookshelf is what you're looking for at the site.

The other authors are excellent reads as well. Some of the stuff is copywrited some time ago, but is classic and the lessons taught are timeless. They never get old.

Not affiliated with the place.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
His articles in Combat Handguns are one of the main reasons that I suscribe to that magazine. Some of his stories on legal ins and outs are scary.

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
...having spent a "LOT" of time defending LEO's and armed citizens in court, it's worth the time to listen to his advice on self defense issues.:D

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just got through reading his concealed carry book I got from Amazon and it's great! Now to get some more of them! I think anyone who carries should read and reread his books.

·
Administrator
35,533 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Thanks for the post, his books and videos are great

·
Registered
515 Posts
I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here on Ayoob; I hope it doesn't make me unpopular... :(

Not really a fan of his - although I will admit to having 1 of his books & reading some of his articles. Way too self-righteous for me; I understand he is foul-mouthed too & that would also put me off although in all fairness I haven't heard that myself. I read that in a magazine review on one of his LFI courses.

I can also remember when he was at first silent, then supportive of S&W when they signed the HUD Agreement back in 2000. I realize that he lives in the same regional area as the manufacturer, but I can remember at the time his comments seemed to me to be defensive & arrogant.

No doubt the man is very knowledgeable & talented in firearms & I respect that - but his manner puts me off.

·
Super Moderator
19,944 Posts
I don't disagree with your assessment. He does come across as self righteous a lot but I DO put a lot of credence in the lessons he teaches. He really is good at giving a nice forensic analysis (from many different perspectives) of shoots. I think that this presentation style is why he is so revered in the shooting community.

Example of his self righteous coming thru? Any article containing the phrase "The defense lawyer (usually a buddy of his) and I set up the logic of the defense shooting over the course of my opening 45-60 minutes (which has been exhaustively detailed in the opening of the article); I then 'took apart' the prosecuting attorney in the next 10 minutes and the jury wasted even less time in returning a "Not Guilty" verdict" - or something along those lines. Why doesn't he describe the 10 minute disassembly of the prosecuting attorney? I want to know what questions were asked and how he countered them so quickly without becoming a hostile witness!!!!! Give me details!!! Aside from learning the basis for what HE believes constitutes a righteous shoot - described at the outset of an articles describing a shoot - it would be most helpful to know what questions or concerns the DA/Grand Jury/etc brought to trial - this is the only way we will ever understand how our elected officials (DA) operate and what their basis for investigating and prosecuting a shoot that wasn't ruled a justifiable homicide by the PD.

That being said, if I'm ever involved in a defensive shooting -DAMN RIGHT I DEFINITELY WANT HIM ON MY SIDE!!!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I ask a lawyer that I shot with some of the questions about him not covering some of these things. His reply was that the less you make these things public the better. Even though the lawyers can research old court records many do not. They just put a case together and run with it. He is not as well known outside of the shooting groups as some of us would think. Lot of the things he said about court cases and the politics involved gives better understanding as to why some cases are pushed and others dropped. Media involvement can make some of these prosecuters with political motivation get involved hoping to increase their political standings.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Massad Ayoob is my authority for self-defense.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I've been reading his stuff for years. Back in the days before WWW Guns and Ammo was the thing, and I always read his column. Here's some pics for Ayoob fans...

Masaad Ayoob through the years...

And this one just kills me - Flavor-Yooooooob! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts