Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,684 Posts
He generally doesn't like reloads for defense, advice which I ignore. He believes there are legal liabilities to their use. In Texas, I've never heard of such a case. Either a shooting is justified or it isn't. But, I like his writings and enjoy reading 'em. Heck, I don't agree 100 percent with anyone on any given subject.

·
32,808 Posts
There have been a number of cases dealing with handloads and defense. His books and articles in many tactical magazines cover this completely.All the cases he covers actually happened. He is a member of a trial lawyers association who acutally defend innocent people and are not the sharks for hire. Since he has been privy to the actual and not theory based law cases and as a professional witness, he has the credentials and experience for what he speaks of. He has credentials as an armorer for most firearms. His methods and what he teaches about self defense are world wide known and respected. The military teaches his techniques to every branch of the military and his students have won every battle they have been in.He is certified in most weapons and non lethal force. As he points out, an overzealous district attorney or money grubbing sue happy lawyer can ruin your life pemanently by not heeding certain advice. Even if you have done everything right in a defense shooting the above mentioned will and have persued and destroyed lives. Take the Duke La Crosse team. They aren't angels,but their lives were shattered beyond repair by the DA and he is under investigation. He knew the team mates were not guilty and kept after them anyway. Want to hire alleged violent alleged sex offenders? Not me. The publicity alone could kill a business. This is not ever going away. The press and feminists won't let it. These guys are through for life. And a over zealous person wants to put you away for life or on death row for his own personal gain. Why go there or open yourself to it? So while I don't agree with everything he espouses, one has to take what he says and consider it. Most of what was in the article was true. Please point out the fallacies to me if you can with objective reasoning.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this to be very interesting and informative. Don't get me wrong, its just sometimes he comes across with a superiority complex.

·
32,808 Posts
I'm cutting you slack. Jeff Cooper and Chuck Taylor are a couple others that can join that club. On the other hand like fighter pilots one has to kind of think that way to survive the in a combat enviroment. It is a mental state of mind that can spill over into other parts of ones life. Or they just became that way. ;D :D

·
Super Moderator
35,684 Posts
The reload thing is about the only thing I really think he's off on at least in Texas and I don't personally worry about legal proceedings or consequences of using hand loads. I worry about a shooting is justified. I don't ever want to pull the trigger on someone unless I absolutely have to and my life or that of a loved one is in jeopardy. So long as you're justified, seems to me, the tools you use are immaterial regardless of off the wall court cases in left wing states.

I read Ayoob all the time, enjoy his writings. He's not a gun snob. Jeff Cooper is a gun snob with an agenda. This guy, Chuck Taylor, has written some of the most worthless drivel I've ever laid eyes on. Ayoob KNOWS his law and knows his guns and self defense, I just think Texas is a little more to the norm from where some of his court cases have occurred. For instance, you can use deadly force in Texas to defend property. A guy in Houston some years ago shot a repo man to death with a .30-30 rifle who he "thought was trying to steal his truck". He was no billed by a grand jury. What do you think would have happened in that case in New Jersey? Of course, he probably had a civil lawsuit to deal with, never heard. I do carry handloads and will continue. Hopefully, I'll never find myself in court anyway. That'd be the best thing.

I don't do schools, really, but if I did, I think Ayoobs "Lethal Force Institute" would be high on my list of places. Ayoob teaches civilians what they need to know on the mean streets. So many of these outfits teach stuff for police and that and off the wall stuff I really don't care about, thinking "Thunder Ranch" here. All I wanna know as a Civilian, all I want to practice, is what to look for when I'm on the street, what to avoid, what to do if trouble finds me. I don't need to learn how to clear houses or defend myself with a single action revolver (one of Thunder Ranch's goofy courses, self defense with cowboy guns... ::) ) . Ayoob's courses for armed civilians get right to the point and his insights into the laws of use of lethal force and what goes on in the court room, I think would be very interesting and invaluable. Some day, maybe I'll scrape together the scratch to go up there and take one of his classes.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He had one back in November in Minneapolis, (closest metro area to me). Cost was around $500, and it consisted of 10 hours of lecture, no shooting. He had another in December that was about $450, and was 8-9 hours of lecture. The guy apparently knows his stuff, but I understand you have to be real thick skinned to take his seminars, because he'll tear into you for asking a "dumb" question. Kind of an ego thing, I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts