Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never carried my gun during the summer and I have to leave it in the car when I go to work - companies have an odd sense of political correctness, considering all of the nuts who bring a gun to work and decide to start having target practice.....anyway, when the Texas heat gets into the 90's and into the 100's, are there any considerations for keeping the gun in my car? Specifically, will the ammunition be okay in that kind of heat?

Thanks for helping a newbie along.....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Cars will amplify any heat that is absorbed by the sun so if its 90 or 100 outside it could reach 200 inside depending on where your car is parked. While rounds haven't been proven to cook off at 100 degrees it is possible they could at higher temps. IF you can keep a cooler handy and use those solid ice packs that would keep the temp down for a while, the only concern with that is condensation buildup in your gun which will aid in corrosion. you can experiment and throw a thermometer a dry cooler and see how high it goes without ice. if its below 90 all day you should be fine. And people will think your just packing an extra lunch.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Way back when I was in high school it was still ok to carry a long gun in your pickup in a rifle rack. Being from a Kansas farm & oil field town, we all kept rifles and shotguns in our trucks or car trunks year round. Some of us also kept a revolver under the seat or in the glove box and the windows were up and door locked most of the time. I don't remember any problems ever occuring from heat (or theft). Boy, talk about a different time..... Anyway, the temp here is about as hot as it is in most of Texas, I think. I do remember that often the guns would be hot enough to need gloves to first get them out of the rack and yes they were loaded at all times. These days I do sometimes leave a revolver under the seat (in a safe box) for extended periods both winter and summer and have had no problems yet.

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys - and I will probably do the ice cooler thing, I don't see how that could hurt to try at all.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have had a pistol in my truck for years, in Texas. I have never had a round discharge from the heat. I can't promise that it won't happen, but it has never happened to me. I have never heard the news report report anything like that either....and I have a feeling that they would jump all over it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Well..Here in Arizona it also gets blazing hot, I have always had a gun in my truck..I have never heard of Ammo getting so hot that they go off( Guess it could happen though) :???:

I would have heard about something like that happening in Phoenix( they will tell you it is 110 or 115 outside, but that temp is taken up 30 feet on the north side of the airport..they do not want to tell you how hot it really is on the street..lol)

Biggest problem where it is hot is the gun is hard to handle...I do know that if you over lube it runs out everywhere on them...
The big thing also is rust..I see that more than anything ;)

Cool post BTW :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think if this was a real issue the guys & gals in Iran would be having problems with it. Not to mention all those people living in desert areas around the U.S. The Media would have been having a field day with it by now, too.......anything they can dig up negative on guns, ya know! :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts