Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the title says it all. I'm seriously considering a birthday present for myself... After looking at several brands of commercial manufactured M! carbines, I've settled on the Auto-Ordnance. I cannot really afford a collector grade or even reman USGI veteran...the prices are bizarre. I can get this one, brand new in the box for $660, and it has a warranty! I don't intend to just look at it, I intend to shoot the hell out of it...another reason NOT to look for an original. What I have read, and from a couple of other's experience, is that the break in period of around 150 rounds will be the time any issues will show up. After break in, they seem to be flawless. The group size at 100 yds is better than the Inland (I was considering that one, too) and the price is quite a bit lower. Near as I can tell it's 100% USGI compatible. Anybody out there own one that can tell me about their experience with it?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I guess the title says it all. I'm seriously considering a birthday present for myself... After looking at several brands of commercial manufactured M! carbines, I've settled on the Auto-Ordnance. I cannot really afford a collector grade or even reman USGI veteran...the prices are bizarre. I can get this one, brand new in the box for $660, and it has a warranty! I don't intend to just look at it, I intend to shoot the hell out of it...another reason NOT to look for an original. What I have read, and from a couple of other's experience, is that the break in period of around 150 rounds will be the time any issues will show up. After break in, they seem to be flawless. The group size at 100 yds is better than the Inland (I was considering that one, too) and the price is quite a bit lower. Near as I can tell it's 100% USGI compatible. Anybody out there own one that can tell me about their experience with it?
I've never owned an auto ordnance carbine but was curious about getting one someday. Thanks for the post. Congrats on your carbine. By the way, you mentioned group size at 100 yards, what was yours?

I know what you mean on prices, they're crazy for carbines. Even the korean reimports with the blue sky stamp and worn out barrels that used to sell cheap are high now. I used to own one, and although it still was a good reliable shooter it had no collector value (at the time)

Back in 1980, when I was in Miami during the riots, one of the local security guards was fielding a M1 carbine with HP rounds, in addition to the 38 on his hip. Although he had a 15 rounder in the carbine, he also had additional 30 rd loaded mags with him. I doubt the carbine was approved by whatever agency that licensed guards there, but under the circumstances the cops didn't make an issue of it. They had their own problems to deal with.

With the price of carbines now, I can't imagine using one as a defensive gun. If you actually have to shoot it at someone it gets confiscated for a while. Depending on the agency, if it's a collector item, and it doesn't get lost, you might not get it back in a nice condition.

·
23,833 Posts
Always thought the M1 Carbine was an elegant little gun. If you get one, make sure you file a thorough range report!

Reactions: BigBlue and MoKen

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will post a report with as much data as I can. The reviews I read said the A-O averaged 2" at 100 yds, while the Inland was 3"...I'm kinda picky about accuracy, so 2" groups from an 18" barrel sound pretty good. My 100 yr. old Schmidt Rubin (31"barrel) makes one hole groups at 100 yds..I will probably order it before Christmas, but I might not get to shoot it until Spring..we get that -30° weather around here.....

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I will post a report with as much data as I can. The reviews I read said the A-O averaged 2" at 100 yds, while the Inland was 3"...I'm kinda picky about accuracy, so 2" groups from an 18" barrel sound pretty good. My 100 yr. old Schmidt Rubin (31"barrel) makes one hole groups at 100 yds..I will probably order it before Christmas, but I might not get to shoot it until Spring..we get that -30° weather around here.....
That's much better than my old Blue sky carbine with a worn out barrel. It was more like 6" at 100 yards. If it would've had a new barrel it probably would've been a lot better. Still, if I'd have ever actually needed it for something serious at closer ranges, it would've been acceptable enough I guess.
Putting aside serious social work, the carbines are just plain fun to shoot. The weight of a 22 rifle, but shooting something much more powerful.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might be getting it sooner than expected. LGS in my area has one on Gunbroker nobody has bid on, yet for $10 less than the quote I got the other day....

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
My TO&E weapon for a short while, and I loved that little rifle. When I was appointed Battery XO and got a 1911, I asked if I could keep carrying the M1 carbine instead. Nope. That was the last time I laid hands on one.

Good luck with yours...

·
Super Moderator
35,997 Posts
I've always loved the look and handy dimensions and weight of the M1 Carbine and was hooked on it as a kid from war movies and TV shows. What kept me from ever considering one was it's a weak caliber, not very useful for anything one of my bolt guns couldn't do better....HUNTING, you understand. I never killed a man, but I've killed dozens of deer and hogs over the years.

Now, once you get a few hunting guns, what else is to get for HUNTING? You can't hunt with 'em all at once. I currently have one rifle that is my go to hunting rifle, a stainless M7 in .308 Winchester. I have an old SKS that I've rigged up for night hunting pigs. I also got an M4 last year for my birthday. It's pretty neat, killed a deer with it this year, but it's not preferable for hunting to my .308 or other bolt guns. I got it for political reasons and nothing in the news recently convinces me it wasn't a good move even though Hillary got beat.

So, my M1 Carbine desires have gone unfilled. When I was a kid, I wanted this .22 LR "M1 Carbine" marketed by Iver Johnson. I dreamed of that rifle and never got it. So, when I saw a Chiappa M1 .22 Carbine at a LGS for 255 bucks, I bought it right there knowing nothing about it other than there it was, a .22 Caliber M1 Carbine. Actually, by all accounts it's more authentic looking than the old Iver Johnson. It's not gas operated, of course, but it has the look. :D Yeah, I'd still like to have the real thing, but I'm not sure why. :rofl: So, it's been an easy desire to fight especially considering price tag.

·
Super Moderator
35,997 Posts
BTW, I'll be watching for that range report! :D

·
Super Moderator
27,271 Posts
Always wanted one in 22.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to work tomorrow. I start at 4 am...so I'm not going to get into tearing it down and such, until Monday..but I do have it, and I will try to get to the range with it on Monday afternoon....Pictures then!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have an Underwood M-1 carbine and an Iver Johnson M1-22 carbine.
Neither is my first one in its caliber.
As a side note, when I was in the Air Force in 1968 my annual qualification was done with an M-2 carbine (full auto). I've loved then ever since.

If you plan on a total disassembly you will need to buy 2 tools. The cheaper one is for removing the nut that holds the gas tappet into the barrel. It can be either a 3 or 4 slot nut so check before you buy.
The other tool is the bolt assembly/disassembly tool. Otherwise GOOD LUCK.

·
Premium Member
14,019 Posts
Watching shows such as "Combat" left me admiring and yearning for weapons like the M-1 Carbine and the Thompson 1928A1.

Reactions: darbo and rodfair
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.