Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I've read good reviews of it. Yes it's a decent price though I'd probably opt for other equally good, lower priced 1911s. Bud's likely has it a tad cheaper and free shipping.

·
22,814 Posts
It's been a long time since I read anything bad about the new AO 1911s. I thought they already made a GI model; wonder what I'm missing.

I came darn close to buying one of these recently, but settled on an ATI. ATI makes very good 1911s. The low-cost 1911 market has some amazing competition in it these days.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Probably not a bad gun for the $$$ but I'd rather have a Taurus PT 1911. It has more features.

Reactions: jwc007 and dcc

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
It's been a long time since I read anything bad about the new AO 1911s. I thought they already made a GI model; wonder what I'm missing.

I came darn close to buying one of these recently, but settled on an ATI. ATI makes very good 1911s. The low-cost 1911 market has some amazing competition in it these days.
A.O. (Kahr) has made a G.I. style 1911 for sometime now, so I don't understand it either unless that's a old article.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
A.O. (Kahr) has made a G.I. style 1911 for sometime now, so I don't understand it either unless that's a old article.

Some of the old AOs (1980s - 1990s) were made by Thompson in Hurley NY had a bad, and well-deserved, reputation. I had one and it took a LOT of work for it to be reliable.

·
Registered
36,649 Posts
I have a old Auto Ordinance made by Thompson in New York.
IT was a truck gun for many years and so has a bit of touchups from rust spots here and there.
It has always been a very reliable 1911 even with hollow points.
Its been a pretty good weapon for its purpose.
I can't remember exactly how old this one Is but think it was purchased about 1979-1980?
IT was under 300 bucks though.
Some of these are like the 1911 style LLama though, better be aware of what exactly you are getting before buying one.
Not sure about the new KAHR models?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I second the opinion of the old AOs. I helped a friend try to get one to work back then. Probably not all of them were bad but I never knew anyone who bought a second one.

Reactions: Plano Mark

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I took my old Thompson AO to the late Jim Clark Sr. in Louisiana, he said that the metal was good to work on, it just needed some tuning to make it reliable. I didn't have him do it, but had it done later by a DFW gunsmith. New sites, combat trigger, new safety, smooth the ramp, and it was good to go.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
4,692 Posts

Some of the old AOs (1980s - 1990s) were made by Thompson in Hurley NY had a bad, and well-deserved, reputation. I had one and it took a LOT of work for it to be reliable.
I had one of those and while it was reliable the stock barrel came with a large pit in the bore and a soft slide stop than bent and fell out while shooting it.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Hmm...

·
22,814 Posts
Yep, the older ones had a terrible reputation. The new ones, since Kahr bought the name, have a very good reputation across the 'net.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts