Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
There has been a discussion on the topic before, in 24/7 section, as well as here. It has occured on several different models. Mine does not do it, a friend has one that does. It is not a danger, as long as the finger stays off the trigger. But it is a shock the first time it happens.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=11079.0

·
Registered
801 Posts
I repeat:

There are no pistols designed to automatically release the slide when you insert a magazine. If your gun is doing it there is something wrong with the gun.

Get it fixed before something bad happens.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
single stack said:
I repeat:

There are no pistols designed to automatically release the slide when you insert a magazine. If your gun is doing it there is something wrong with the gun.

Get it fixed before something bad happens.
what's wrong with the pistol that causes this? what would you suggest is the fix? just curious, i have had this happen before, it used to worry me, but not so much anymore.

·
Registered
148 Posts
the only gun i know of that automatically load once the magazine is inserted is the H&K P7 squeeze cocker. as for the rest, you have to push down the slide stop lever to chamber a round

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Kimber 1911 never does it, my S&W M&P does it sometimes, haven't shot the PT111 enough to know for sure but doesn't seem to do it.

The "problem" would seem to be how far the magazine follower forces the slide release into the slide, and or the mating surfaces between the slide release and the slide. While you want the slide to be held open reliably, you want it to be easy to disengage. Personally I would rather have it close on a loaded mag upon insertion than be hard to release. That is personal preference.

If you find it disconcerting you might try to push the slide release up into engagement more firmly before inserting a magazine.

I can't say I find this to be a big safety issue as the gun will slam closed like this every time it operates and not fire, that is what it is designed to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I noticed this at the range with my new 3rd gen MPro145. It did not happen every time, and the first few times it happened I thought I may have accidentally hit the slide release as I was triggering the mag release, "setting it up" to go when the round went home. By the second week, I noticed that 1)it happens every time I slam the mag in, and 2) If I dont slam it in, the mag may not lock in place. So, 3) it happens every time I load a mag! It appears to either be a happy accident with the release, or Taurus has a nice feature that they forgot to mention.

It was VERY surprising the first few times it happened.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't imagine this is designed in as a 'feature'. Neither my PT1911 nor PT145 do this. If 'slamming' the mag home jars the slide stop enough to release it, the slide stop may be worn or defective. You shouldn't be moving the slide to battery by moving the slide stop lever down anyway. A couple of instructors have ephasized to me that you should pull the slide slightly to the rear then release it to disengage the slide stop and move the slide to battery in any semi-auto pistol with a slide stop.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bluetiger said:
A couple of instructors have emphasized to me that you should pull the slide slightly to the rear then release it to disengage the slide stop and move the slide to battery in any semi-auto pistol with a slide stop.
You know I have seen people do this but never thought about it until you said it. In the manual on page 16 it states "Insert the MAGAZINE into the pistol until it is held by the MAGAZINE CATCH." To me it does not state to slam the magazine or firmly insert the magazine, just insert it. The manual also states "to with the other hand to pull the slide to its limit and release it. You MAY depress the slide catch and the slide will go forward under the recoil spring pressure and will insert one cartridge in the chamber.

I guess it goes like the old saying, when all else fails read the manual. :)

·
Administrator
41,721 Posts
Yep, with the slide open, when you insert a magazine, there is no need to slam it home. It'll latch into place with little effort. Slide closed a slam is useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bluetiger said:
You shouldn't be moving the slide to battery by moving the slide stop lever down anyway. A couple of instructors have ephasized to me that you should pull the slide slightly to the rear then release it to disengage the slide stop and move the slide to battery in any semi-auto pistol with a slide stop.
That is really opinion. I have heard and participated in the debate many times as to "sling shot" or use the slide release. Lots of competitioon shooters use the release. I haven't heard any real reason not too use it that isn't opinion or "I have always done it this way".

·
Registered
42 Posts
on mine, i can either "slam" the mag in, or gently insert it, then push like crazy til it finally clicks. I am not fond of slingshot, simply because in a HD/SD situation, my weak hand is either holding a spare mag, a flashlight, a cell phone, or all 3. I dont have the patience, appendages, or general mindset to calmly grasp the back of the slide, pulling gently until the stop releases, then release the slide. If I need more than the original 11 rounds, then I need them NOW.

As far as I can tell, the gun has no more chance of going off when it autoloads than it does any other time a new round is chambered.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.