Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been "way" too busy as of late, and I decided to take the day off tomorrow. One thing that I am doing is FINALLY, shooting that Taurus PT22 at an indoor range tomorrow. I have been trying since after Christmas to shoot it, but it has been one thing after another. So I am giving it a good cleaning again, and tomorrow morning we are heading out to the indoor range "early" to get a slot.. away we go!

I will be posting pics of the pistol afterwards. This is the same one that i was able to buy at Academy Sports for $179.00 USD. I was able to snag 100 rnds of CCI Mini Mags (I heard that this gun likes them the most) also Federal HV, and some magtech which I have heard good things about. And also some Eley Remington. I also heard that this pistol likes the hotter HV stuff the best. I will post PICS of the pistol also when I come back.

Stay tuned. ;-)

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
IT's about time......LOL !!!!!

I kind of did the same thing today in catching up with a few that I had yet fire. Made for a great afternoon. Be sure to come back and update us.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

WELL - that should make Happy Tom even happier!!!!! :D

*Enjoy it

Reactions: Ironmagz

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

WELL - that should make Happy Tom even happier!!!!! :D

*Enjoy it
Sorry buddy I don't swing that way.. if your into cross dressers I have no problems with that. To each their own. :smile:

·
32,527 Posts
Gotta love that PT-22 and yes, it'll make you happy, happy, happy.

This gun has been a staple of Taurus for many decades. My two are chugging along just fine. One is a "new" one that is a few years old and the other is in the 20 year old ballpark.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Well, if I ever do find unicorns - scratch that - I meant CCI Mini-Mag, does it still come in 100 round boxes? Or do they sell it one round for $1 each (5 rd limit)?

Seriously, the PT-22 info says it likes high velocity (not hyper), and it seems that the Remington Thunderbolt, Mini-Mag, and maybe Aguila or Federal are my best bets, right?

I don't want to pay for overpriced 22LR and find that the PT-22 doesn't eat them.

It will be a SD backup/get-off-me gun, so I want to give it every chance to be successful.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I put the Federal 22LR on my 'list of stuff to search for' every weekend. 22LR is just not easy to find here. Overpriced Aguila HV is all I can find locally.

I think the PT-22 specs prefer 40 gr 1200+ fps, right? Does the PT-22 care about LRN vs copper plated?

·
32,527 Posts
Quote from another thread.

PT-22 and PT-25 ammo recommendations by Taurus

This is from the Taurus manual.
This is direct from the PT-22 and PT-25 book from "Steve's pages.com.
PT22 - WARNING: THIS PISTOL IS DESIGNED TO SHOOT 22 LONG
RIFLE STANDARD AND HIGH VELOCITY AMMUNITION ONLY. DO NOT
USE ANY OTHER AMMUNITION IN THIS PISTOL.

One has to try many brands and types of the ammo recommended by Taurus to see what the function and accuracy loads are. Hypervelocity ammo is against that rule and recommendation.

Here's another quote.
QUOTE:Taurus pistols were designed to use cartridges loaded to the limits shown
below. Other cartridges of various types or bullet weights may or may not
function acceptably; such ammunition should be thoroughly tested by the
user before relying on it. Because of the widely differing specifications of
such other ammunition, Taurus cannot be responsible for malfunctions
resulting from its use.
BULLET MUZZLE
CALIBER WEIGHT VELOCITY
.22LR 40 GR 1280 FPS
.25 ACP 50 GR 760 FPS

That would mean high velocity ammo at that or about.

End of quote.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts