Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Taurus shooters. I just thought I would start a thread to discuss our unique SA/DA Hornet revolver.

I think it would be nice to discuss this revolver.

Some questions or topics to discuss and be considered (but are not limited to) are the following:

How long have you owned your Taurus Raging Hornet & are you currently still an RH owner?

Do you still own a Raging Hornet?

Did you buy yours new or pre-owned?

Is your Raging Hornet a "safe queen" and/or remain NIB (new in box) or do you shoot it?

If you shoot your Raging Hornet what do you use it for primarily?

Do you shoot factory rounds or do you hand load ammo for the Raging Hornet?

What rounds or loads have worked best for you & what were the least favorable?

Do you shoot it open sighted or with an optic? If an optic, what type & size.

What accessories have you bought to use with it that have been useful? I.E. holsters, shooting sticks or rests, grips, sights, cases etc.

Share your favorite hand load recipe.

Feel free to share your pictures.

What is your favorite thing about this gun? What is your least favorite?

What modifications have you done if any?

Has your Raging Hornet ever broke on you? Is there something you feel is maintenance specific to this revolver or something you do to or for this revolver that you do not do for your other handguns?

If you can think of anything else to add feel free. It might be easy to just copy and paste the original post and then answer the questions or click quote and reply.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How long have you owned your Taurus Raging Hornet & are you currently still an RH owner?

I bought my Raging Hornet on my birthday 2 years ago. I walked in to my local Gander Mountain with a possible trade on a total different gun and saw it in the case. Since I had bought my 1st Taurus the prior year and finding out about their existence I wanted one. Plus having had a bit of desire to own a 22 Hornet since I was a teenager I wanted one of these. The cool factor was overwhelming but I never figured I would see one for sale locally.

Do you still own a Raging Hornet?

Indeed I do!

Did you buy yours new or pre-owned?

Mine came used, with out a box or manual but with a small Tasco scope & mounts.

Is your Raging Hornet a "safe queen" and/or remain NIB (new in box) or do you shoot it?

It is a double duty gun. Mostly it is in the safe in 1 of 2 pistol cases that will fit it.

If you shoot your Raging Hornet what do you use it for primarily?

Mostly, when shooting it, I take it to the range to practice. I have taken it out woodchuck hunting but haven't
had a chuck close enough (with in a 100 yards) when I have had it with me.

Do you shoot factory rounds or do you hand load ammo for the Raging Hornet?

I have only shot factory ammo out of it. Will be starting reloads soon.

What rounds or loads have worked best for you & what were the least favorable?

I have shot the following:
Remington 45gr SP - It shot fair. Nothing great but nothing good either.
Hornady 35gr Vmax - it grouped well, not great at 50 yards. Shot high and left (at 50 yds) VS the above Remington shooting low & right (at 25yds). Perhaps if I had shot Hornady 1st I would not have adjusted my scope.
Remington 45gr HP - Ugh, what a waste of $40. This ammo is junk all around for me. At 100 yards out of my rifle it looked like it patterned like a shotgun. Pretty much the same effect from the revolver at 50yd.
Prvi Partizan 45gr SP - I bought this on a whim actually. I was at a gun show and they had it for $22/box of 50 & I thought "well if it is junk at least I will have spare cases."
This ammo shot the best out of all. Still not that great out of the revolver, but better than everything else I tried. Since trying this last Summer in the Hornet I have come to realize that my shooting rests need improved. Using the Caldwell Pistolero & Matrix is not cutting it. They are hard plastic & just are not working. The PPC I tried out of my Savage 40 and it grouped far better than the Remington. One problem I have with the PPC is that at least this box the cases are long and on occasion I had 3 or 4 jam in my action of the bolt but never in the Taurus. Last month I bought another box of Hornady Vmax. I want to try it in the Savage 40 because I read the reviews on MidwayUSA & a few others and they say it shoots awesome out of the Savage 40. I did purchase reloading equipment last year and plan to start working on some loads this month. BTW the PPC is deadly on woodchucks. Whacked 2 yesterday. 1 at 98 yards and it was the most bloody kill I have had with ANY round on chucks & 1 at 189 yards. Last year I killed 3 in 36 minutes at approx 150, 200 & 100 yards. I say approx because I now have a range finder.

Do you shoot it open sighted or with an optic? If an optic, what type & size.

I use a scope. At 1st it came with a Tasco 2x22 (now on the Tracker 17) but now it has a Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32

What accessories have you bought to use with it that have been useful? I.E. holsters, shooting sticks or rests, grips, sights, cases etc.

I bought an Uncle Mike's Bandolier holster that fit SW scoped 10-12" 500's. This was a mistake. I have also bought a monopod shooting stick for this and the Tracker 17 and 2 Plano pistol cases. 1 will fit up to 4 handguns and the other will fit the Hornet or the scoped Tracker.

Share your favorite hand load recipe.

Will do when I find something that works.

Feel free to share your pictures.

This was with the Tasco scope.

This is the smaller Plano pistol case.

Tracker 17 with a McStar 2-7x32 scope. This was sold as a handgun scope and it does have a lot of eye relief but I feel it is more of a scout scope. The Tracker now has the Tasco 2x22 on it but I will soon be adding that to another Tracker and installing yet another Tasco 1.25-4x28 on the HMR. You can see the NcStar dwarfed the Tracker. If I had the 8+ inch model it would have been OK. However with this scope I was unable to put it into the bandolier holster that was made for that size scoped revolver. Honestly that NcStar would have been nice on the Hornet. Not only would its size complement the Hornet but it was remarkably clear compared to a lot of scopes. I honestly thing it is more clear than the Bushnell.

I am pretty sure this is my best 3 shot group at 50 yards but it has yet to be duplicated. If this wasn't the Hornet it was the Tracker but the best group with the Tracker was a 3 shot cluster that I could cover with a nickle easily and maybe even dime. that day was the 1st day I had the NcStar on it. Again I haven't been able to duplicate it.

What is your favorite thing about this gun? What is your least favorite?

Well one of my favorite things about the Raging Hornet is playing show and tell OR just taking it to a busy range and when the time is right taking it out of the case. One time I was shooting the Tracker 17 (which if you have one you know this rim fire Tracker talks LOUD & PROUD) and a couple younger guys were shooting a few benches away. They asked me if I was shooting a .44? I tried and succeeded in not laughing and asked them why they thought it was a .44? They said because it was so loud. I said, no it is not a .44 but if you think this is loud wait until you hear my .22 go off. they looked at each other puzzled. A few minutes later I have the Hornet out and drop the hammer. Now I am resisting looking to my left but I see them slowly walking over towards me. What is THAT? they ask. Obviously you know I am going to say it. It's my 22!

Thats not a 22 they say. Sure it is I say as I hand them a spent case. Its not a 22LR or mag but it is a .22 caliber. They tell me it is pretty loud and I say yep, louder than my .357 4"! Believe me it is. I always say you shoot a Raging Hornet one time with out ear protection, ONE TIME. I use plugs with muffs because that thing is brutal. I guess that is my least favorite thing. How loud it is. That and the percussion blast to the face.

What modifications have you done if any?

None yet, I might try some trigger springs. I have a trigger gauge on the way to start checking trigger pull on everything.

Has your Raging Hornet ever broke on you? Is there something you feel is maintenance specific to this revolver or something you do to or for this revolver that you do not do for your other handguns?

My Hornet has been pretty reliable. It does seem ammo sensitive. My friend, "the old *******" has been helping me this this and many things. He has given me suggestions about loads, rests, sticks & life in general. He really is a good friend. thanks T.O.R.N

Reactions: cooper

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some updated pictures of the Hornet that "barks".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice Hornet! Have you tried the Winchester ammo? I bought a T/C Contender Carbine in .22 Hornet. My best groups at the range were with the Win loads.
I haven't had time to work up a handload for the Raging Hornet. I bought mine used and from the looks of it, I don't think it got shot very much. Fun pistol to shoot!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Good looking revolver! You don't see many Hornets or Bees laying around. Wouldn't mind finding one

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both. No I haven't tried the Winchester ammo. I had planned to & my local shop carries it too. I am just a bit torn between should I buy some or should I concentrate on the hand loads? On one hand I could have some once fired Winchester cases & maybe a decent firing gun or on the other hand I could be taking 2 $20 bills and lighting them on fire LOL.

I was hoping to have got my reloading bench set up this week and had hoped to get started.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Sir, I traded off my Raging hornet and bee years ago. The Raging hornet could use a longer cylinder for handloads. I trimmed cases for the longer 50 grain bullets and the 1 in 9" twist barrel handles them well. The longer bullets shoot tighter groups. The raging revolvers would be easer to shoot off hand without the weight of the full lug under the barrel. The raging series are great hunting guns and work well with shooting sticks. With good loads the revolvers shoot some impressive groups. The hornet and bee are great varmit rounds with the bee having the edge. A scope is needed to get full use of these guns. Don let me know when you kill a ground hog with yours.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sir, I traded off my Raging hornet and bee years ago. The Raging hornet could use a longer cylinder for handloads. I trimmed cases for the longer 50 grain bullets and the 1 in 9" twist barrel handles them well. The longer bullets shoot tighter groups. The raging revolvers would be easier to shoot off hand without the weight of the full lug under the barrel. The raging series are great hunting guns and work well with shooting sticks. With good loads the revolvers shoot some impressive groups. The hornet and bee are great varmint rounds with the bee having the edge. A scope is needed to get full use of these guns. Don let me know when you kill a ground hog with yours.
Hehe, YOU know you will be the 1st, OK 3rd to know because the woodchuck will be 1st, I will be 2nd. You will be the 1st to receive the picture from my phone before the carcass assumes room temperature. I might even include a catatonic look from me with a smile that can't easily be removed. LOL

Once I get some workable loads and I get confident enough I expect to have dispatched a few the Raging way by Summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
does anyone know how many raging hornets were made? I do know they were only made between 1999 and 2004.
I have called Taurus several times.
thanks for any info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts