Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to initiating the process to obtain my Ohio CCW license yesterday by attending the mandated training. Coming from Pennsylvania, I had to study the laws for Ohio closely as there are some big differences. Pennsylvania doesn't require attending a training class, doesn't require LE notification at a traffic stop, you can carry in church, etc.

I had a good instructor out of Aurora. His name is John Paulett; I can recommend him highly to anyone who is interested. John used some on-line videos to press home his points on firearm safety and personal security & was a very effective instructor and an all around good gun guy. In fact, as the class was small when it came to the range session of the training we managed to have some time to swap pistols and I shot my first Glock. At least for now my carry gun(s) will be my .45ACP 1911s; I took those to the range & John sent a few rounds down range from both of them. I don't think I converted him into a 1911 guy from a Glock guy - but he shot them well! Although the Glock (also .45ACP) had less recoil than my 1911s, I still liked that crisp SA 1911 trigger.

If there is anyone here that would like to make a recommendation on a county to submit my application I would appreciate it. I'm in Summit; I've heard that I may be better served by going to a neighboring county - but not Cuyahoga. I also border Portage (my instructor recommended it), Medina, Wayne, Stark, & Geauga.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
First, good job, it's about time. Second in Ohio it's a CHL(concealed handgun license) not a CCW, that's what police would charge you with if you weren't leagal. I don't know about the counties in your area, but when I got my CHL in Sandusky Co. it was less then 24 hours. Good luck and when you're leagal. Carry safe, carry smart, and carry often!

·
Registered
612 Posts
it differs from county to county. I had 2 friends go through the course, one took 3 days (over the weekend no less!) and another took a full 7..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts