Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a couple of parts from MidwayUSA to see if I can address the problem of adjustable sights for the PT1911. There are several now offering 3 dot sights, but all I've seen are fixed sights.

Here is where I'm headed

The rear sight is a Millett 100 adjustable low profile for the colt combat. The dovetail should pretty much fit, but the top of the slide will have to be flattened for the front of the sight. Since I've already stripped the bluing from my slide, it should be just a matter of flattening the section forward of the dovetail. Since the rear of the slide is already flat to accept the Hienie rear sight... I should be able to just keep a stead hand to extend that.

The front is an EGW fiber optic for the 1911. I don't think the dovetail will match so I'll either adjust the sight or the slide. Millett suggest a .200 front sight to adjust for the higher rear. The fiber optic front should be a nice addition since it will pick up daylight quickly.

These are not night sights. Hopefully they will be suitable to let me adjust the sights for more accurate target shooting. I chose the white outline rather than the 3 dot arrangement. I had this type of rear on a target S&W .357 and I really liked it. It will give a post and dot effect... and I for one don't have a major problem with the Hienie straight 8... though I wish the dots were more pronounced.

I will keep everyone posted. When the parts arrive it may be obvious that they just won't work, but I like the looks so far on paper. This may work on the 24/7. It already has a flat slide to work with so the only problems would be the adjustment of the dovetails.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear sight is on... too late to get pictues today. Flattening the top of the silde takes patience and about 3 hours with a fine flat file. The bottom of the Millett sight also requires shaving the bottom of the dovetail so that it helps the sight sit down in the flats.

Somewhere in the material I saw the recommendation for a .200 front sight. The box recommends a .225 front. I will try this out for a bit... if the gun shoots high, then I will have to replace the front sight since the rear is set as low as it will go. I think a .250 may be a better selection depending on poa/poi. I can always raise the rear to raise poa/poi.

So far the esthetics of the sight are pleasing. The low profile keeps the rear sight from being over powering. Anyway... tomorrow I'll try for pictures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This may be the way I will go with adjustable sights. Paying a visit to a gunsmith tomorrow, taking along my slide for him to look at and sending a query to Novak to get their opinion.

Des

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have no arguement, other than lack of access where I live. Therre are lots of Novack type sights available and once you've got the slide fixed then you should just decide what you like from the varriety. Keep us posted on this development.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here it is...

The rear sight is fully adjustable... both elevation and wind-age within the sight itself... rather than having to physically shift the rear sight in the dovetail. The only question I have is the .200 front sight... I will have to shoot it to see how it works. The box says use the .225 front from the Colt Combat... or the .312 for the Browning (I presume the High Power) where the sight would set fully on top of the slide. If I were to guess off hand, I'd presumed something around .250 or .275, but I'll have a much better image after I've shot this.

For about $80 buck for parts from Midway, I'm pretty satisfied. If I had to good gunsmith with metal working machine, I'd had had the flats extended professionally, but not knowing someone, and seeking to answer the personal question (can I do this myself) I just worked patiently, stopping after ever 50 strokes with the file and checking level front to back and side to side. The sight itself covers the cuts so it looks good. It is an awesome rear with the while post and outline... very quick to catch your eye and the red fiber optic catches the light quickly, although I wish the rod was larger.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
Its amazing that one of us can come up with some really nice lookin sights and all the major companys that build aftermarkrt sights novak........ and the rest sit on there ass while one of the best guns to come a long in a vary long time has 3 options for just fixed night sights I guess seeing the gun can outshot almost all the guns priced twice the amount don't want to be embarrised if the taurus 1911 had adjustible sights on it well done cimmarron :)

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
sorry nick I just got up and the brain just forgot to use and ....or,,,or!!! I'll try and do better LOL.
Hey i had a bunch of periods the were just all afte novak. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Below is a link to Midway that shows a Champion adjustable rear sight for the 1911. It would appear that this one wouldn't require any machine or file work to install if the dove tail is correct for the PT1911. To that end I have sent an email to Champion asking them the dimensions of the dove tail. On the Champion web site is a bunch of different configurations of this sight with dots and bars. Interesting web site in itself. I will post their response if and when I get one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=185714&t=11082005#categories

Des

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well poop, I received an email back from the folks at Champion and the sight listed in the above posting, a Champion 860-636 will not fit the PT 1911 without modification to the dove tail. According to them the dove tail is too shallow.

I personally think that in the long run Taurus will add a 1911 model to the line that will include an adjustable sight but only after the Commander length and Officers Model length have been added introduced.

I haven't given up on this project but it appears as if a gunsmith will have to do a tad of mill work to get a small compact adjustable sight installed.

Des

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suspect that with the 800 series offering a "true Novack" rear that they might begin the shift... not that it will help us... so I've got ahead of the curve for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts