Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really a special kind of stupid. A business wants to revamp a dilapidated building and bring revenue, and the council wants to stifle that. Idiotic. This from a guy who outed himself in the "Dems on TA" thread as a non-Romney voter :) See? We can all get along.

Atlanta considers restrictions on gun ranges - Houston Chronicle

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
yea, I read about that on our local Georgia forums. She's doin it fro the "children", so that makes it OK!!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
"While some neighbors say they're opposed to opening a shooting range in the area and don't want to expose children to guns,"

Yes children do make enticing targets!
What in the world do people think is going to happen involving children at a indoor shooting range. Just amazing.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
"While some neighbors say they're opposed to opening a shooting range in the area and don't want to expose children to guns,"

What in the world do people think is going to happen involving children at a indoor shooting range. Just amazing.
Children get exposed to guns on TV and video games; they learn the respectful use of them at a well supervised range.

·
Registered
24,943 Posts
It's just more of the spreading plague.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If they are in mean streets of Atlanta, those kids are going to be exposed to guns, like it or not. Kids would not be exposed to the guns used at that indoor range. It's not like they can just waltz in off the street and start running around.

I also doubt any low life BGs or BG WannaB's will be hanging around that place of business. BGs like soft targets. Patrons of that indoor shooting range would not fall under the umbrella of soft target.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To defend my honor, those xxxxx's didn't cover the great grandaddy of all words. But, I apologize for the softer euphemism if it was found offensive.

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
While some neighbors say they're opposed to opening a shooting range in the area and don't want to expose children to guns, some nearby business owners say the shooting range would be an improvement over the decaying building.

We have an indoor range / gun shop about a 1/2 mile from my house. It has been there for about 12 years. There are no children hanging around the range, or, building. There is another one under construction about 3 miles from my house that will be even bigger. They are both membership only, or, available on a daily rental fee to adults. They don't allow school field trips to the range. Guess what, there has never been a intentional or accidental shooting at this facility. They don't allow unattended children in the facility, they don't allow shooting outside of the building. If a younger adult is exposed to "guns", they are with a supervising parent or other responsible adult.

Yes, when it was first proposed, there was a minor outcry from adjacent neighbors. A few citizens tried to get the County Planning Commission to ban ranges by exclusive zoning. Ranges were permitted, but only in the most restrictive zoning district, of which, there were only four parcels in the entire County zoned for them. This was defeated in Court.

I understand the general nimby (not in my back yard) feelings that some people have. I don't like the fact that a registered child sex offender lives within 2 blocks of my property, but, the State allows it. The left doesn't want us to have guns at all, imagine the mouth frothing over a place to shoot them.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Even here in Texas, which is gun friendly, you can have some problems with new ranges, or old. As long as you're way out beyond city limits, no problems. But if you're close to a housing development, you'll get lots of grief.

Couple months ago I posted my own experiences as prez of a trap and pistol club that had been there for 40+ years. Then they built some houses nearby. Big legal troubles.

I'm speaking here of outdoor ranges -- don't know how an indoor range would fare. We only have one half-way near me, and it's right in the middle of a big commercial and residential district.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts

Ok my sarcasm didn't come across even though I used the "official" green sarcasm font. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
The range I go to has "Family night" ......

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I think I've seen this mentality before . . .

Ya got trouble.

With a capital 'T'.

And 'T' rhymes with 'G' and 'G' stands for GUNS!

Next thing you know, they'll be self-reliant, expecting explanations, and voting . . .

*gasp*

CONSERVATIVE!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Completely stupid and expected from a liberal city like that. Maybe we can send them Sheila jackson lee. She'd fit right in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts