Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 1911-22 on layaway and I got it out today. Quick trip to the range to put a quick 250 rounds through and home again to clean and primp. I installed a set of 1911 grips that I had in the gun safe just because it's the minimum I could do to jazz it up. It operated flawlessly and my ammo was gone before I realized it. Accuracy was OK. It was shooting low right, but I compensated and was able to get them where I wanted them to hit. I discovered extra front sights packaged with the pistol after I got it home, so the next trip will be to accurize. Shooting was very enjoyable except for having to reload the mags. The pistol only came with one mag, so I bought an extra and surprise, surprise, surprise, The extra held 11 rounds while the supplied magazine only held 10. I took them apart after I got home and the only difference between the two mags was a small stud on the plastic piece at the bottom of the mag spring. That got cut right off, and now both mags hold 11 rounds. Fit and finish on the pistol was very good although if the wood grips had been nicer... nevermind, I would have changed them anyway. Paid a little less than $350, and it looks like I got a pretty good weapon for the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love mine, it gets fired almost every weekend as either me, my girlfriend, or a friend wants to try it out before they buy one. I'm willing to bet it has about 10000 rounds through it by now. I've had a hiccup with it here and there, but it's always ammo related.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have the SigSauer version (also made by GSG and all parts are interchangeable). I decided I wanted to try a muzzle brake (not for recoil, but to hold down the muzzle flip for rapid fire practice. Found a company called CW Accessories that makes a couple of different compensators (muzzle brakes) that fit the threaded barrel of the GSG/Sig. I bought the cheaper "one chamber" version but they also make a longer "two chamber" one as well that costs a little more. You can get it in black or unfinished aluminum color. (home page)

There's an outfit out there called GSG Pro that makes full length guide rods to fit it that has a round rod rather than the cross shaped one and is just a bit longer than the OEM one. I had the cross shaped original hang up on me once and it was a pain to fix at the range and have had absolutely no problems since changing it out. (GSGpro Home Page!)

I really like the way that the weight of the gun is almost the same as a normal 1911 .45 and the magazines are also heavier to help the balance. Now if GSG would only make a "Compact" size one so I could use it for practice with my carry gun I'd buy one of them too.

BTW, those 1911 grips you put on it really look nice!

·
Registered
39 Posts
G'day guys
Shout out from a proud gsg 1911 owner from Australia Glad ur injoying the gsg 1911 had Mine since mid december about a 1000+ though it love using more than my 9mm, I've added a s/ steel flat msh and a s/s guild rod the weight is very even and almost matching my springer 1911a1 9mm. Not liking the front sight any more looking to replace it soon anyways very happy I got it paid aus $ 645 for the adops $ 65 per mag so be happy it's cheaper over there. Later guys

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
I have been fondling a Sig as well , i like the Olive drab green and the dark earth brown, leaning to the dark earth.
I have looked at the GSG and the Colt version, the Colt had a better fit, but out of about 5-6 Sig Sauers they all seem to have a better fit, finish than the the others.
the Sig also has yellow hi visibility sights that are a plus for my old eyes.
the dark earth comes with a farily nice set of wooden grisp as does the olive drab green.
I was wondering if regular 1911 grips would fit them.
really like the way they all feel in the hand.
so are all the magazines interchangeable and where are you finding them?
the Sig extra mag is about 40 bucks!

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
are all the magazines interchangeable and where are you finding them?
the Sig extra mag is about 40 bucks!
The extra mag I bought was a GSG mag. I think they fit the Sig and Colt as well, but don't take my word for it. The extra mag was $32 at the LGS I bought the pistol at. I think that might be a good price, because it was the last one they had, and the clerk said they couldn't keep them in stock.

By the way, welcome to the best gun forum on the web Rippid.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a 1911-22 on layaway and I got it out today. Quick trip to the range to put a quick 250 rounds through and home again to clean and primp. I installed a set of 1911 grips that I had in the gun safe just because it's the minimum I could do to jazz it up. It operated flawlessly and my ammo was gone before I realized it. Accuracy was OK. It was shooting low right, but I compensated and was able to get them where I wanted them to hit. I discovered extra front sights packaged with the pistol after I got it home, so the next trip will be to accurize. Shooting was very enjoyable except for having to reload the mags. The pistol only came with one mag, so I bought an extra and surprise, surprise, surprise, The extra held 11 rounds while the supplied magazine only held 10. I took them apart after I got home and the only difference between the two mags was a small stud on the plastic piece at the bottom of the mag spring. That got cut right off, and now both mags hold 11 rounds. Fit and finish on the pistol was very good although if the wood grips had been nicer... nevermind, I would have changed them anyway. Paid a little less than $350, and it looks like I got a pretty good weapon for the money.
The extra mag I bought was a GSG mag. I think they fit the Sig and Colt as well, but don't take my word for it. The extra mag was $32 at the LGS I bought the pistol at. I think that might be a good price, because it was the last one they had, and the clerk said they couldn't keep them in stock.

By the way, welcome to the best gun forum on the web Rippid.
Ta mate
Love my tracker .357mag and was interested in a 94 .22 4" and ended up here. And was surprised to find posts on my new favored gsg 1911 so this forum was a great find for me
Ps the 94 4" isn't imported to aus for some reason mehh

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Thanks CJS, I checked for sure today and the GSG and the Sig will interchange maagzines, the only difference is the name on the floor plate.
don't know about the Colt however?
The GSG is about 7-8 bucks cheaper than the Sig mag, bet that doesn't surprize anyone!-LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks CJS, I checked for sure today and the GSG and the Sig will interchange maagzines, the only difference is the name on the floor plate.
don't know about the Colt however?
The GSG is about 7-8 bucks cheaper than the Sig mag, bet that doesn't surprize anyone!-LOL
ATI is a very small company and if you have a problem and need to speak to someone, they are VERY good. I sent in my GSG AK47 .22 when the safety mechanism failed and had it back in 4 days. My guide rod broke in my GSG 1911 and I had a new one in three days. CW accessories' full length guide rod is a MUST.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is a great little .22. I am testing it and have over 1400 rds thru it only having cleaned it when I first got it. We shall see how far it can go. I bought two mags from Grumpyguns.com for $31 a piece and shipping was very reasonable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
FELLERS!!!
I'm super stoked! that the mods i've done to my gsg are paying off, went to the range today and put 100 rds of cci standard 3 ftf all mag related ( i've got an idea of whats causing the mag feeding props and a repair for it more on that later)and the accuracy has improved too.

mod 1 guild rod got a mate to make a longer and sightly wider one of s/s i hand fitted it and polished it works like a charm the slide action is a lot smoothed.

mod 2 the Disconnector button looked like some noob cut it off with a pair of pliers it was long and sharply pointed i hoped it would round off with use but it didn't click that the slide was soft and it was steel and was restricting the slide cycle and wouldn't round off with use so i got a drummel and rounded it off, slide action a lot smoother only catch on cycling is the hammer beening cocked.

mod 3 swapped out the arched msh for a flat sightly over sized had to use more force on the msh locking pin, think i worked out why there's sight differences, gsg in Germany i think they use the metric sizes and after market "drop in parts" are made mostly in the usa were they use the imperial system which could account for slight differences in the fitting?so when I'm going to order Drop in parts I'm going to measure the gsg part 1st and send the sizes so i can get a closer fit ?.

mod 4 swapped the wrap around flat grips for a fuller finger grooved wrap around grip a lot fuller grip for my long fingers.

mod 5 tighten the grub screw on the trigger less creep cleaner let off more finger control.

mod 6 changed from g96 to gun grease g96 wasn't thick enough for smooth slide action, hmm feels soooo good when i stoke my greasy slide back and forth ohhh yerrrr!!!

also got a laser/flash light combo for the rail for $80 it doesn't fit that well the rail isn't cut right for the clip on mount on the laser, but it still works but not well on sunny days had to be with in 10m's to see the dot but could see it up too 50m in the shade 2 handed 10 shots slightly over the size of a 50c at 10ms sweet!! look out cane toads u can't hide in the dark anymore muahahahah!!,battery's are bloody ex'y $16 each takes 2 of them dam!!!hope they last a very long time mehh !! so i'm a happy chappy right now and looking forward to sunday shoot !!
gsg 1911 tac & lazer.jpg gsg 1911 tac light and lazer.jpg

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
I broke down and purchased a Sig 1911-22, reports on under Sig 1911-22, so won't go into all of tha nagain here.
But did wnat to mention that had the gun shop do a light cleaning and lube so i could shoot it.
ran 100 rounds of CCI mini mag flawlessly, and 170 rounds of remington golden bullets and began to get few stovepipes, had about 5 stove pipes out of the last 30 rounds, the gun was dirty and the slide was dry by then. but its made by GSG and so far i like it a lot.
according to GSG the Sig and GSG are fully interchangeable as to parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey guys
There's been a lot Of excitement here in oz with someone posting that gsg is bring out a new line of custom shop gsg 1911 in tan and od green in June sometime? Some gunshops are advertising them already but I can't find any info or pics online and was wondering if the boys in the USA know we're to find some info online ?? Thanks fir ur time anyways

·
Registered
39 Posts
A mate sent me this interesting that the gsg website has no info on them?

We are currently importing 4 models into Australia:

1. GSG 1911 22LRHV (wood grip) RRP $650.00 Inc GST comes with 1 magazine
1. GSG 1911 Tan 22LRHV (wood grip) RRP $680.00 Inc GST comes with 1 magazine
1. GSG 1911 Olive 22LRHV (wood grip) RRP $680.00 Inc GST comes with 1 magazine
2. GSG 1911 ADOPS Tactical (Black Grip) RRP $680.00 Inc GST comes with 1 magazine

http://i39.tinypic.com/ibl5yc.jpg
[/quote]

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Hey guys
There's been a lot Of excitement here in oz with someone posting that gsg is bring out a new line of custom shop gsg 1911 in tan and od green in June sometime? Some gunshops are advertising them already but I can't find any info or pics online and was wondering if the boys in the USA know we're to find some info online ?? Thanks fir ur time anyways
HMM! well Sig Sauer are selling these finishes like hotcakes!
check out the Sig Sauer website they have the dark earth and the forest green on there.
I just purchased a Sig sauer in Dark earth.her
es mine!
of course these are made by GSG.
Sig also offers a blue with a very, very nice set of textrured Sig wooden grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
A mate sent me this interesting that the gsg website has no info on them?
We are currently importing 4 models into Australia:
1. GSG 1911 22LRHV (wood grip) RRP $650.00 Inc GST comes with 1 magazine
1. GSG 1911 Tan 22LRHV (wood grip) RRP $680.00 Inc GST comes with 1 magazine
1. GSG 1911 Olive 22LRHV (wood grip) RRP $680.00 Inc GST comes with 1 magazine
2. GSG 1911 ADOPS Tactical (Black Grip) RRP $680.00 Inc GST comes with 1 magazine
http://i39.tinypic.com/ibl5yc.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Cough-Cough-Cough-choke!!
Uhh, here in the US of A the Sig Sauer suggested retail is $420.00, I just bought a Dark Earth (tan) for 351 plus tax , which was about 375 out the door.
the green was the exact same price and the blue with the great textured Sig Sauer grips was 10 bucks more.
All the Sigs to my knowledge come with wooden grips of one type or another, my Dark Earth had a nice set of medium walnut G.I. grips on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cough-Cough-Cough-choke!!
Uhh, here in the US of A the Sig Sauer suggested retail is $420.00, I just bought a Dark Earth (tan) for 351 plus tax , which was about 375 out the door.
the green was the exact same price and the blue with the great textured Sig Sauer grips was 10 bucks more.
All the Sigs to my knowledge come with wooden grips of one type or another, my Dark Earth had a nice set of medium walnut G.I. grips on it.[/QUOTE]
Yer I get choked up when i read yankes bitching about paying 400 for a sig 1911.22 :mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts