Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a AR15 model for home defense. Short carbine, .223/5.56mm. ATI's are affordable, I don't plan on shooting it much, are they reliable?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
They are absolutely reliable. They were specifically designed to be. I would trust my life with one. Having said that you say you don't plan to shoot it much which is fine. However, like any device there could always be a few kinks in it so be shoot to put a good number of rounds through it before you lay it up against your nightstand. Good luck!

Reactions: vboy36

·
Registered
73 Posts
Even a very low budget AR will and can run reliable. I have a DPMS Sportical, which most consider a low budget rifle. I have well over 1000 rnds through it and haven't had one single issue with it. It's not a precision rifle, but is accurate enough that I have put down many hogs, with one shot. The way the AR platform is designed, it just runs. Just keep it lubed, maintained and it will serve you without issue.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, and go to know on the ATI!!! I have a H&R 12 gauge pump and 3 carbines, 2 of which are pistol caliber. I am just looking at the ATI and was wondering.....

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I have a Panzer BP12... Fantastic weapon, especially for home defense. Wicked looking, reliable and fun to shoot... The stocking dealer lists it with having an 18.5" barrel and an overall length of 29.5". In reality it's 20" and 30.7" which barely fits in the 32" soft case i bought for it...

Might consider a shotgun alternative.

https://www.panzerarms.com.tr/bullpup-1

With 10-round magazines.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ve-ar-twelve-pro-bp-12-12-gauge-polymer-black

Also easy to handle, less chance of over-penetration and a big step up in stopping power.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are absolutely reliable. They were specifically designed to be. I would trust my life with one. Having said that you say you don't plan to shoot it much which is fine. However, like any device there could always be a few kinks in it so be shoot to put a good number of rounds through it before you lay it up against your nightstand. Good luck!
Thank you for the feed back, TonyC2639. I am looking hard at the ATI Omni Hybrid AR15 Pistol. I already have a Ruger Mini 14 but the pistol is such a nice size for home and the car.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think your AR would be just fine. Several things to consider about home defense: urban or rural? single family or multi family house? dense neighborhood or lots of acreage? Also, do you think you would defend yourself outside from a distance, or when they are kicking the door in?

How you defend yourself and property should probably take factors like this into consideration when choosing how you will defend yourself.

For me, I live in an urban neighborhood in a single family house. I think forced entry would be my scenario. I have a Ruger PC carbine with a light on it, 17 round magazine. The AR is for bigger parties. Oh, and all my guns have white lights on them.

·
Registered
36,305 Posts
any rifle (well besides likely the 22 LR,) is a whole lot to fire inside a closed area.
then when you go to the pistol/ carbine in 223/556 then it gets even worse.
muzzle flash and report are quite horrendous, more so in twilight or dark.
MY choice was for years a reliable high capcity 9 MM on /in the night stand and a backup of a 12 gauge pump. a 20 gauge might even be better.
I have since purchased a AR 15 pistol in 300 Blackout, which is loaded with sub sonic rounds .
which to me is a much, much better choice for home defense. even loaded at subsonic the 300 Blackout is launching a 200-220 grain projectile and is a reasonable longer distance choice say out to 50-75 yards if need be.
now truth be known IF I had the opportunity during a home break in of grabbing the 12 gauge or the 300 BO in addition to my side arm I really don't know which I would prefer?
but even as I keep a few extra shells on the butt stock of the shotty, the capacity doesn. t compare to the 30 rounds of 300 BO in the Ar.
I suggest that you take your or a friends AR 556 to an indoor range, slip the ear muffs off for just one shot and see what you think and then add about twice to muzzle flash and noise for inside a dark smaller room.
of course now this has NOTHING to do with you buying another weapon!
when the urge hits then you need to fix it!

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
^^ I just bought an AR 7.5" pistol and the muzzle blast was impressive...outdoors in broad daylight. I could not imagine what it would be like in an enclosed space in the dark. The 300 BLK are at very competitive prices now and factory sub-sonic rounds are readily available.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Thanks, and go to know on the ATI!!! I have a H&R 12 gauge pump and 3 carbines, 2 of which are pistol caliber. I am just looking at the ATI and was wondering.....

Thank you!!!
Oh you're very welcome. I must add though that your original post didn't say hybrid. Personally I am not fan of polymer uppers and lowers. I'm sure a lot of people use them but I don't care for them. If you're really not going to shoot it much after the initial "break in" it might be okay.

Reactions: darbo and vboy36

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wow, thanks for the feed back and Info, lots to digest here!! The 300 blackout (also offered as a pistol by ATI in my price range) that Olfarhors mentions sounds very interesting, in that I am thinking home defense. I like the 30 round option. I don't know anything about 300 blackout. What ammo does it use? Never mind, I just read about the ammo, 300 aac seems plentiful enough. So this is a better alternative if i am considering home defense due to flash and noise?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks Olfarhors, so now you have me thinking about the 300 BLkout pistol. But, do you have the 300 BO in a carbine or pistol? Is the AR BO pistol a bad idea for home defense due to noise and flash? I am like you, I have a 15 shot 40 cal on my night stand and a 40 cal carbine with only 10shot capacity (hold out from the clinton ban) in the corner. I just like the idea of an AR Pistol with one shot knock out capacity. I live in a single family home, concrete walls, suburbs. But if it is that the AR pistol is the issue as to flash and noise whether in 223 cal or 300 BO then I would just stay with the mini 14 and not bother with a AR pistol.

·
Registered
36,305 Posts
^^ I just bought an AR 7.5" pistol and the muzzle blast was impressive...outdoors in broad daylight. I could not imagine what it would be like in an enclosed space in the dark. The 300 BLK are at very competitive prices now and factory sub-sonic rounds are readily available.
Yea its becoming more popular for sure.
I began to find 300 BO brass about 10-12 months back laying in the range floor.
it caught my attention originally because of the case and I did not recognize it.
anyway when I got my 300 BO pistol I bought 2 boxes of different factory ammo to use as test/comparison loads for my reloads.
I think I paid around 14-15 bucks for each box of 20? they were sub sonic.
MY reload cost are more than the 223/556 and this is due to projectile cost really.
still haven't found really good inexpensive 200-220 grain projectile but cost is livable for the gun no doubt.
the darned thing is super accurate however with every projectile that I have fired in it at or inside 25 yards.
one of these 20 round groups is factory ammo.
one picture is a comparison of 556/ 300 BO, the neat thing is everything pretty much except the barrel is the same as the AR 556, even the magazines ,so parts etc are cheap!

Attachments

·
Registered
36,305 Posts
Thanks Olfarhors, so now you have me thinking about the 300 BLkout pistol. But, do you have the 300 BO in a carbine or pistol? Is the AR BO pistol a bad idea for home defense due to noise and flash? I am like you, I have a 15 shot 40 cal on my night stand and a 40 cal carbine with only 10shot capacity (hold out from the clinton ban) in the corner. I just like the idea of an AR Pistol with one shot knock out capacity. I live in a single family home, concrete walls, suburbs. But if it is that the AR pistol is the issue as to flash and noise whether in 223 cal or 300 BO then I would just stay with the mini 14 and not bother with a AR pistol.
ahh well for me if I am shooting Sub Sonic ammo then its very, very manageable.
I actually removed my ear protection for a few shots at the range and it wasn't anything that hurt at all, course now I am about 15% deaf from sirens .
the muzzle flash is almost non existant at indoor range lighting. mine is a 7.5 inch barrel like Chzeck.
now mine does not have a silencer on it either, with a compensator the cartridge is just a mouse fart to be honest, you hear the bolt operate.
anyway check into it, not for everyone I am sure.
the 208 grain regular power ammo ahs a nice muzzle flash but surprizingly the gun seems to have very little recoil with either.
herse mine, it now wears a combo red dot /laser sight system, a fairly cheap one !

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Olfarhors: I have since purchased a AR 15 pistol in 300 Blackout, which is loaded with sub sonic rounds .
which to me is a much, much better choice for home defense. even loaded at subsonic the 300 Blackout is launching a 200-220 grain projectile and is a reasonable longer distance choice say out to 50-75 yards if need be.

I just re read your post and I just saw your photo of the pistol. Awesome!!! I changed my order to a AR 15 pistol in 300 Blackout. Sounds great!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
36,305 Posts
Let us know how it works out for you!
Greenwolf may be the resident Ar Enabler currently and can turn you on the the deals outt here.

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
ahh well for me if I am shooting Sub Sonic ammo then its very, very manageable.
I actually removed my ear protection for a few shots at the range and it wasn't anything that hurt at all, course now I am about 15% deaf from sirens .
the muzzle flash is almost non existant at indoor range lighting. mine is a 7.5 inch barrel like Chzeck.
now mine does not have a silencer on it either, with a compensator the cartridge is just a mouse fart to be honest, you hear the bolt operate.
anyway check into it, not for everyone I am sure.
the 208 grain regular power ammo ahs a nice muzzle flash but surprizingly the gun seems to have very little recoil with either.
herse mine, it now wears a combo red dot /laser sight system, a fairly cheap one !

Actually my 5.56 has a 7.5" barrel..my 300 BLK has a 10" barrel. I have yet to work into sub-sonics...but need to do so!

Congrats on the new gun...looking forward to pics and the range report!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thank you for the feed back, TonyC2639. I am looking hard at the ATI Omni Hybrid AR15 Pistol. I already have a Ruger Mini 14 but the pistol is such a nice size for home and the car.
I recently acquired an Omni hybrid pistol. I don't have all that many rounds through it yet, but it's been 100% from the beginning. One big plus is that composite fire control group. I was a little leery of that, but I've become a fan. The trigger is very light and very smooth - totally unlike a typical milspec AR trigger. It's like an upgraded trigger included with a very inexpensive AR.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts