Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
23,575 Posts
They never quit, and neither can we. The mention of the GOA is another excuse to point out that they seem to have become more effective than the susihi of the month club that the NRA has turned into.

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They never quit, and neither can we. The mention of the GOA is another excuse to point out that they seem to have become more effective than the susihi of the month club that the NRA has turned into.
I wouldn't be so quick to discount the political clout that the NRA has accrued over 150 years.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to discount the political clout that the NRA has accrued over 150 years.
I'm affraid they have earned the right to be discounted anymore. I agree that the NRA has helped things greatly over their lifespan, but they are circling the drain now as far as I'm concerned. GOA gets my money these days.

I agree that the digitization makes searching and cataloging a million times easier than the paper system. If it's being pushed hard then it's probably all over already.

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm affraid they have earned the right to be discounted anymore. I agree that the NRA has helped things greatly over their lifespan, but they are circling the drain now as far as I'm concerned. GOA gets my money these days.

I agree that the digitization makes searching and cataloging a million times easier than the paper system. If it's being pushed hard then it's probably all over already.
I've communicated with NRA and suggested that they turn over their entire management in order to revitalize their mission and gain new support.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Keep in mind the NRA supported NFA1934. Yes they've been some help but partially helped set up the tools now used against the Second Amendment.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Rural King already does this.

When I purchased my Heritage .22LR, I filled out paperwork on the computer.

Yes...I purchased a handgun in the spring of 2019 in a large Austin, Texas, police outlet, and the form was completed on a computer.

Besides, does anyone really believe there is no record of your social security number being attached to a gun purchase via NICS ?

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Yes...I purchased a handgun in the spring of 2019 in a large Austin, Texas, police outlet, and the form was completed on a computer.

Besides, does anyone really believe there is no record of your social security number being attached to a gun purchase via NICS ?
I've never given my SSN on a 4473.

I filled one out on paper probably 30 years ago (long before background checks) and since starting to buy guns again about 3 years ago, I've only done the electronic ones (and they all completed in under a minute). It is my understanding the ATF collects ALL background checks electronically for a period of time and then, by law (maybe 6 months as if they follow it) they must be destroyed. If I recall, they had halted the destruction a few years ago, but my memory is shaky on that.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
With very, very little doubt I expect ATF has been digitally storing records for some time, just few know. Once they've got that info they'll never delete it. I think this latest push is just to legitimize what they're already doing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm sure if they wanted to, they could find out who has guns and who doesn't, just by tracking digital purchases.
Didn't you use a card for your last ammo, etc. purchase?
Sheeze. Nothing is secure anymore. Look up a holster on your computer and next thing you know you're getting spammed by shooting accessory dealers.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,710 Posts
I've never given my SSN on a 4473.
I have. If it speeds up the process so be it.

Who is it that gave me that number in the first place?

Unless you have been buying everything with cash, and are not employed, have no bank account, never use the interwebz, file taxes, etc.... you are being tracked.

When I got my SS# I gave up any expectations of privacy.

lf they want me ,,,, Come and Take it

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I have. If it speeds up the process so be it.

Who is it that gave me that number in the first place?

Unless you have been buying everything with cash, and are not employed, have no bank account, never use the interwebz, file taxes, etc.... you are being tracked.

When I got my SS# I gave up any expectations of privacy.

lf they want me ,,,, Come and Take it
The process for me has always been fast (under a minute). I can't imagine the SSN speeding things up. Now, if my name was John Smith, it may distinguish me among the other John Smiths. There is also some unique identifier you can get to, I assume, also distinguish you. I don't know if you have to provide an SSN to get that unique identifier, however. Fortunately, the name Delta Bravo is not in wide use, so there aren't any terrorists to confuse with me!

·
23,575 Posts
They have a lot, yes. I'm just seeing signs that GOA is getting to the point that they have more.

I've communicated with NRA and suggested that they turn over their entire management in order to revitalize their mission and gain new support.
Great idea. I've been responding to every one of their mailings with "Fire Wayne" for quite some time. Sharpie that message on whatever they send, and send it back. I've even started telling them "until you fire Wayne I'll just give my money to GOA - they are more focused and effective." The phrase "wine of the month club" may have appeared once or twice.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
As an aside I jave a question.
How come we never get a copy of the fully completed 4473, including the approval stuff??

AFS
That's a great question to jave! If it is a government form that we fill out, you'd think we would get a copy...

·
Administrator
41,043 Posts
Never gave it much thought, but I’ve never asked for a copy. It would be interesting to see if anyone would give it to you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts