Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,701 Posts
Is "Honey Badger" a proprietary name for their AR pistol or is it different from other AR pistols? I see an SB brace on it. This is quite concerning.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is "Honey Badger" a proprietary name for their AR pistol or is it different from other AR pistols? I see an SB brace on it. This is quite concerning.
On their website, they say it is a proprietary brace from SB Tactical. Maybe SB didn't get a ruling from the ATF on this particular model? I'm not sure if their rulings on braces have been model-specific or general. Just a guess as to why they might have ruled it an sbr.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
35,701 Posts
On their website, they say it is a proprietary brace from SB Tactical. Maybe SB didn't get a ruling from the ATF on this particular model? I'm not sure if their rulings on braces have been model-specific or general. Just a guess as to why they might have ruled it an sbr.

Googling Honey Badger it appears that they included a suppressor.

That's definitely the concern. A lot of boating trips being planned.

So if it's illegal, what can anyone do with it? Get caught, go to Federal prison and/or pay a huge fine plus legal fees. Lose all firearms.

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts

I've had a feeling this was coming, ever since the bump-stock fiasco. Fortunately I have a SBR that I can use my shorties as replacements for.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like the Honey Badger came as an SBR or a pistol that were the same except for the stock/brace. The way it was mounted and deployed looks the same in the pics.

Do AR pistols and rifles use different buffer tubes?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The letter says an owner can separate the upper and lower and mount the upper on another AR pistol lower. This suggests there is an issue with the Honey Badger lower...not all AR pistol lowers (at this time).

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
It looks like the Honey Badger came as an SBR or a pistol that were the same except for the stock/brace. The way it was mounted and deployed looks the same in the pics.

Do AR pistols and rifles use different buffer tubes?

Yes. A rifle/carbine stock can't be mounted on a pistol tube. However the SB tac pistol brace can be mounted on an adjustable carbine tube.

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
The adjustable pistol braces might be the reason this is happening. Let's face it, I have an adjustable SB Tactical pistol brace so if I inadvertently shoulder it while firing, it will fit to my shoulder. I was criticised for getting a tax stamp when I could have just purchased a PDW brace. At the time the SBR stamp was actually cheaper. This may not affect braces that are not adjustable or blade braces that fit over pistol buffer tubes. Only time will tell, but contact your congress critter and complain about the ATF making arbitrary decisions that convert law abiding gun owners into felons.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Well, I don't have one. I think the legality of ANY AR "pistol" is iffy and debatable. Seems like, though, if you could take the "brace" off, it would qualify as a pistol. I really do not see the utility, anyway, except that it might be a cool weapon for a truck gun. I have a Mossberg Shockwave for that which I do hope isn't NEXT. That's why this legislation is troubling to me. I mean, what's next? If you are going to change your mind on something, don't legalize it in the first place!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I don't have one. I think the legality of ANY AR "pistol" is iffy and debatable. Seems like, though, if you could take the "brace" off, it would qualify as a pistol. I really do not see the utility, anyway, except that it might be a cool weapon for a truck gun. I have a Mossberg Shockwave for that which I do hope isn't NEXT. That's why this legislation is troubling to me. I mean, what's next? If you are going to change your mind on something, don't legalize it in the first place!!!!
Why do you think this way? Do you think a firearm should either be rifle size, or handgun length? Why would anything in between be unacceptable?

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Just the law. Barrels under 16" and a shoulder stock haven't been legal since 1933 without paying the class three license tax. I'm not saying they shouldn't be legalized, all for the individual's second amendment rights, though I'd have no interest in one. I've been hearing crickets and worried about my hearing as it is. I might spend the money and wait the year or two to get a suppressor, but not an SBR.

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
More details about this from The Truth About Guns in three posts here:

These reports include information from Q, LLC about what current owners can do to remain legal for the time being.

·
Super Moderator
35,701 Posts
I seem to recall that SB wrote in their installation instructions to be sure the overall length was less that 26"...anybody verify that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts