Taurus Firearm Forum banner

When you aquire a new, or new to you firearm, how many rounds do you fire until you are satisfied th

• Dependable out of the box.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100 Rounds

• 500 Rounds

• 1000 Rounds

• 2000 Rounds

• More than 2000+ Rounds

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me 500 is suffiicient, but I'll keep close tabs for 500 more. :)

Super Moderator
+1 I always keep track of how things go, if it feels different or sounds different or anything for that matter. To important to let something strange go.

Registered
I said 500 as well, but then again you can have a jam on a round 501... :-\

generally you can tell if the gun is reliable right away, since if the gun isn't 100% you'll have problems in the first few boxes of ammo. I'm not a big believer in brake in periods...

Registered
I'm the only one here that trusts a gun before 500 rounds?
I've shot and owned a few lemons before and the problems were apparent in the first mags, always felt I probably failed to find that gun's favorite ammo.

Registered
i carry a revolver for my ccw so theres a 99% chance i'm not going to have a feed jam problem--however there is always the chance something internal could break or you get a bad round. I have yet to ever have a centerfire factory round go off, but I think 500 rounds is acceptable.

Registered
I give mine 500 rounds of endurance firing (rapid, strong hand, weak hand, anything to make it flinch) before it gets the green light. If there's a flaw in the metal or parts, sometimes they don't become evident for a while, I feel more comfortable in giving the weapon a period of time to prove itself before I trust my life to it.

Registered
I shot 500 rounds through my PT1911 in two days with out cleaning, the only problem I had was with a mag. I went with CMC mags no problems in over 2000 rounds. I carry it as one of my CC weapons.

Registered
I voted 100rds but for new autos I use the old standby of 200 rds, the second half of which the gun needs to be flawless. Now this total may or may not include testing carry ammo for reliability in a given gun.

Steelheart

Registered
revolvers i'd say pretty much out of the box.

auto's 200 rounds sounds good enough for me assuming 0 malf's

i believe in practicing with what you carry so i it passes the inital 200 carry it, any serious problems would have shown up by then and any small ones will show up in practice sessions.

Registered
I said 500 cause you didnt have an option for 200,I think after 200 you would have a good idea.

Registered
It's a little different for me.

If I fire 100 rounds, and I dont have any problems, I'll carry the gun. If I have a single problem, I push it to 500 rounds, and then carry the gun.

Registered
For me, it's a combination of FMJ and my carry round which will equal 500-600 rounds with zero malfunctions. All my semi-autos passed this test except for one: my wife's Bersa Thunder .380.

I know it's expensive and not everyone can do this, but I've been doing it for over 20 years now and not changing anytime soon.

Registered
I voted 500, but I'm still undecided on the subject. When I first started carrying, all I had and could afford was one pistol. I had shot it over 1000 rds before I received my permit, without a failure. If there were a malfunction, having one shot would have to be better than having no shots.

Registered
i like to see alot of rounds go through it. 1000 plus....shoot a couple thousand and than i can say (belive) this is a great gun.

Registered
I'm comfortable with 100 rounds with 100% performance. One malfunction, ever, and it immediately becomes suspect. Another malfunction, if I'm sure it's not an ammo problem, it either goes to my gunsmith, or back to the maker. Fortunately I've only purchased two firearms that failed, one was replaced by the maker, the other was traded +$ for another brand.

All guns are mass produced machines, which means they can all fail. With proper maintainance I expect 100,000 miles from an automobile, and a lifetime of reliable firearm performance.

Registered
I voted 100 rounds myself, but I will add that it needs to be reliable with the ammo I will carry as well. After the gun is deemed reliable, I will run a box of the carry ammo thru to make sure there are no problems. I don't know, maybe you can wear a gun out by making sure it's reliable. I ran 75 rounds thru my keltec before my hand gave out, and for me that was enough. I didn't want to shake the thing apart before I started carrying it. I probably still have less than 250 rounds thru it.
Another way to look at it: A person buys a gun. It's their first gun. They want it for home/self defense. Should they have to wait to run 500 rounds thru it before they put it on their nightstand? The gun costs say $350. Then there's the cleaning kit etc. 500 rounds is $150 on average, plus the several range trips to shoot it, range time, targets, etc.
Ultimately, the more it performs reliably, the more I will have in it without question. But like the man said, it could break at round 501

Premium Member
I too voted 100 rds, but mostly for me that would be for a semi auto for function. I have much more revolvers, and for PD, I carried them with confidence with much less than 100 rd fired.

I know one could lose timing, or what ever, but anything mechanical can break at the worst moment, so If I worry about it, I would never use it no matter how many rds I put thru it testing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts