Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may enjoy this. A bombing mission where tankers have to refuel tankers to refuel tankers.
30 years ago in my war!

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
The logistics of the Falklands war was incredible. It was a war I admired the Brits for.

·
Super Moderator
26,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jake my ship, a cruise liner they converted to a troop ship in 9 days, including 3 helicopter pads, and underway refueling lines. Took 3 months to convert it back!

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I started the video, noticed the length and said to myself I'll watch a couple minutes and then finish it later. Next thing I knew, the credits were rolling.

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
Jake my ship, a cruise liner they converted to a troop ship in 9 days, including 3 helicopter pads, and underway refueling lines. Took 3 months to convert it back!
I'm sure 2 1/2 months of that was cleaning and new upholstery! :)

What was the casualty loss of the Brits, I'm thinking it was fairly light.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Sea Harrier won that war for the Brits. Had they decommissioned there two carriers they couldn't have fought that war and won.

They could have lost it if the Argentines had properly fuzed their bombs and had gotten more Exocet missiles from France.

Many bombs that struck British ships failed to go off.

Another problem was they only had enough fuel for 2 to 10 minutes on station any longer than that and they wouldn't make it back to Argentina.

The Argentine army sucked and didn't want to fight but they can be proud of the bravery of their Navy and Air force Pilots.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I'm sure 2 1/2 months of that was cleaning and new upholstery! :)

What was the casualty loss of the Brits, I'm thinking it was fairly light.
The Falklands war lasted 74 days, the casualties were:

UK, 255 dead, 777 wounded.

Argentina, 635 dead, 1068 wounded.

·
Super Moderator
26,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Sea Harrier won that war for the Brits. Had they decommissioned there two carriers they couldn't have fought that war and won.

They could have lost it if the Argentines had properly fuzed their bombs and had gotten more Exocet missiles from France.

Many bombs that struck British ships failed to go off.

Another problem was they only had enough fuel for 2 to 10 minutes on station any longer than that and they wouldn't make it back to Argentina.

The Argentine army sucked and didn't want to fight but they can be proud of the bravery of their Navy and Air force Pilots.
The reason why many bombs failed to go off was that the Argentinian pilots dropped their bombs too near to the targets fuses needed a certain length of flight to arm. That was changed when it was reported in the newspapers.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Damn, Rod! What a nail biter that was. I think I'm going to need some bandaids. :D Great video - thanks for posting!

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
Rod, if Britain has no long range bombers, how would they handle a Falklands crisis today?

·
Super Moderator
26,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rod, if Britain has no long range bombers, how would they handle a Falklands crisis today?
In 2 words, with Argentina saber rattling again, for the very same reasons, to cover up the job the gubmint is doing...they CANT! They have no carriers. There is talk of sharing one with France...PLEASE I DO NOT WISH TO HEAR COMMENTS ABOUT DOING 10 knots forward and 35 in reverse. They do not as yet have any carrier based fighter/bombers US is screwing us there.The JSF thing. They do however have a reasonable force on the Falklands that might be able to hold off an Invading Argentine attack.
Military of the Falkland Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This they did not have in 1982.
The 1982 war was purely for political reasons on the Argentine side to try and cover up all the wrongs the "Junta" had created....now it appears to be happening again.
After my first war, 1982, I was called up again for Desert Storm, while I lived in the US, but they changed their minds, At my advanced years now, I do not wish to be called up again.
But the UK would be very hard pushed at this time to defend ANY of their overseas protectorates. VERY HARD PUSHED. They would do it because thats what Brits do. If we make a committment we stand by it.
But, having said that, under my "Taking back the US, one job at a time policy" we will be able to use the USN by 3013!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Brits do. If we make a committment we stand by it.
But, having said that, under my "Taking back the US, one job at a time policy" we will be able to use the USN by 3013!
Just make sure you guys shoot all the politicians when you do it. If you'll do that I might even have to buy a union jack to waive from the window when the red coats return. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts