Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, NJ can at least claim to be consistent in how they apply their draconian firearm laws.

Arcane NJ law prevents retired cops from carrying concealed weapon | Fox News

article said:
New Jersey’s arcane gun law is preventing some retired cops from getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon, according to a published report.

That’s because the law makes no provisions for retired public university police officers to get one, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

“There seems to be discrepancy in whether [state] university police are viewed as working for a state agency,” attorney Thomas Roughneen told the paper.

He represents John Kotchkowski, 55, and Robert Dunsmuir, 48, two retired University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey police sergeants who were denied right-to-carry permits.

SNIP...

“How are UMDNJ police not a state law enforcement agency?" Roughneen asked, according to the Star-Ledger. “By that logic, that makes the entire Rutgers police force -- which is one of the largest in the state -- ineligible. And that flies in the face of the intent of the law, which is to increase public safety.”

The law was enacted in 1997 after the murder of a police chief who was killed when he tried to thwart the Newark carjacking of an elderly couple, the paper reported.
SNIP...
Bolded for emphasis, especially the part about a PERMIT to have a "right" to carry.:mad:

I wonder, if the interest is PUBLIC safety, whether these two NJ officers support the Right of Citizens to carry (so, the removal of such despicable laws as "permit" laws).

·
Premium Member
13,710 Posts
No law abiding citizen of any state should be denied the right to keep and bear arms. I don't like the idea of carry permits either. No government whether it's local, state or federal should be in a position to require you to seek a permit( permission) to exercise your right.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
No law abiding citizen of any state should be denied the right to keep and bear arms. I don't like the idea of carry permits either. No government whether it's local, state or federal should be in a position to require you to seek a permit( permission) to exercise your right.
Well said

Reactions: RustyYoungMan

·
Registered
17,719 Posts
I don't live in New Jersey.
I have no plans to live there in the future.
Carry on.
One of the prettiest sights I ever saw was Bayonne New Jersey disappearing over the horizon in my rear view mirror in 1969.

·
Premium Member
13,710 Posts
One of the prettiest sights I ever saw was Bayonne New Jersey disappearing over the horizon in my rear view mirror in 1969.
Then you've never had the pleasure of leaving Camden!

·
Premium Member
13,710 Posts
Cut it out.
When people agree with me in here I get confused.:blink:
Lucky for you it doesn't happen often! LOL!!

Reactions: Cariwine

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
Are they ex-cops or ex-campus cops? And the law was enacted because a chief in 97 tried to stop a car jacking and got killed. Was he retired and they want retired cops to mind their own business? I don't get it.

I hate FOX. They leave out just enough information to slant the story and make it sound like more than it is. Fox is there to inflame, not inform.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
Found another article that said other ex-cops are allowed. Campus cops weren't included in the law. Boo hoo. The law was enacted to allow former police officers to carry once they were retired. The chief that was murdered didn't have a gun on him that day and tried to fight his killers off with a broom.

Now if the Republican governor and current Presidential candidate would only extend the right to all.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Then you've never had the pleasure of leaving Camden!
I've been to Camden numerous times and can verify what he says is true.

It's almost as pleasurable as seeing NYC fading in the rear view mirror.

After traveling all over the country and parts of Canada, I've decided that there's nothing north of Roanoke or west of Yuma that I can't live without.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts