Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I can't personally vouch for all of that, but can for some of it. I was working plainclothes security at a department store in the eighties, and sometimes I had to check the lot. I walked out one day and a guy asked for money. I told him I didn't have any, (which wasn't far from the truth) and started to advise him that there was a no solicitation sign on the wall. It wasn't unusual for people to ask for money, and the usual procedure was to tell them go somewhere else. If they didn't then call the cops. I was moving my sweater back anyway so I could expose my badge on the r. side of my belt, when he put his r. hand into his pants pocket, and said in a low tone to "Give it up." He was maybe 4-6 feet away. I thought he might have a gun so I stepped back and drew my stainless snub nose revolver, which was in a IWB holster in th 4 o clock position, just behind the badge holder. He stepped forward at the same time and tried to grab me with his l. hand, while pullling out a knife. All of this seemed to happen at the exact same time.

The article says,

Another consequence of such close-range attacks is that victims tend to fall as they move backwards trying to escape their aggressor.
That did not happen to me, but I was practiced in martial arts, and knew how to walk backwards and sidestep without that happening. I also had training beyond the minimum for security guards, which was a joke, and the additional training I took involved fire and movement. I was also aware of what the pavement was behind and around me prior to talking to the guy, so it wasn't like I was going to accidentally step off a curb. Due to the distance I held it at the hip and only raised up to eye level as I stepped back. Had I needed to shoot from the hip I could've done it, as I had practiced shooting from the hip at distances up to ten feet, although hip shooting is more for 3 foot situations. The only reason he didn't get shot was that when he saw the gun he stopped any forward motion and immediently dropped the knife. Had he even leaned in my direction I would've been forced to shoot him. He slowly raised his hands and took off running toward a public housing complex across the street. (almost getting hit by a car in the process)

I later found out from an employee of the store that the guy probably knew I was security (after all I was the only white guy in an all black neighborhood) and the reason he chose to try to rob me was NOT for any money but street cred. He probably wanted to brag to his friends that he robbed a security guard. The store's security was all unarmed but I worked for an outside agency, suplimenting their employees, and I could carry as I was also LE. (this was before Ohio had CC) He assumed that I was unarmed. He also made the mistake of warning me of his intentions beforehand, again thinking I was a helpless victim.

At the time in order to carry concealed you either had to be LE, or had a specific justifiable reason to carry. Justifiable reasons included transporting a lot of jewerly or cash with you, or politically connected, like an anti gun politician who was caught carrying a semi auto handgun. He claimed he needed to carry because he supported gun control and allegedly had threats against him. His campaign slogan should've been, "Guns for me but not for thee." The incident that happened to me made me a supporter of changing Ohio's CC laws, because the right of self defense shouldn't be limited to just LE or the wealthy or politically connected people.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good article! One more reason we all have to pay extreme attention to our surroundings.
I personally keep as much distance from strangers as possible when out and about, in hopes of mitigating situations like mentioned.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good article! One more reason we all have to pay extreme attention to our surroundings.
I personally keep as much distance from strangers as possible when out and about, in hopes of mitigating situations like mentioned.
Yes! If we could just get our girls to pay close attention in public, as well. I have found this near impossible with all three of mine. They know stuff happens, intellectually, but are more concerned with the current Vera Bradley sale, or where to go eat, etc. Yeah, yeah, Dad, we know.

Grrrrrr.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes! If we could just get our girls to pay close attention in public, as well. I have found this near impossible with all three of mine. They know stuff happens, intellectually, but are more concerned with the current Vera Bradley sale, or where to go eat, etc. Yeah, yeah, Dad, we know.

Grrrrrr.
My 2 daughters have always had really good situational awareness. It's my wife, that has had me worried for all these years. Recently however, she has become acutely more aware of her surroundings. It's almost a game now ,that we compare which weirdo the other one was watching while we're out and about.
If I can get her a little more gun savvy, and talk her into getting her CCW all will be right in my world.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts