Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Arrested for Open Carry

16K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Raggs 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The report has it correct - local ordinances trump state and many areas it is like a checkerboard and you'd BETTER know what community you are in and the law. Makes it way too much of a hassle for me with too much at risk as well.

Missouri | OpenCarry.org "Full preemption of firearms laws EXCEPT OPEN CARRY REGULATION"

And, yeah #1 and 2 do NOT look like the sharpest pencils in the drawer NOT that appearance should add prejudice but...

#3 ·
I wonder if the Police were carrying openly when they made the arrest.

It would be interesting to see the exact wording of that town's prohibition on open carry.

It is quite possible they didn't include an exemption for law enforcement.

#16 ·
Surely no legislators would be that stupid. Surely our dear leaders, who know what's best for us even when it clearly violates the constitution, wouldn't be so arrogant as to pass a law that isn't even well thought out enough to allow LEOs to use their standard issue gear. Surely those wise souls who conceive our laws think things through more carefully than that, and aren't so idiotic that they'd end up looking less capable of thinking things through than a lab rat trying to take over the word. Are you listening, New York legislature? Of course you aren't.

It's legal here to open carry but why? I don't want a gang of thugs to disarm me and use my gun in a crime against me or another. JMHO.
I like the fact that New Mexico has open carry laws. That way, if I even need to doff the cover garment, I just went from concealed carry to open carry. No big deal.

And I agree with those pointing out that the fact that those photos aren't exactly flattering has no bearing on those individuals' rights to keep and bear arms.

Reactions: GunsandNoses
#4 ·
That`s the sweet thing about Michigan, local ordinances can`t over rule state firearms laws. Although, some comunites and leo`s try.

Reactions: treg
#9 ·
In Michigan an AG's opinion is not legally binding, is it binding in Mississippi?

#6 ·
Georgia also has state pre-emption except for regulating the discharge of firearms. Bonus is the statute allows for recovery of attorney's fees if the government entity loses. There are always a few cities that willfully ignore the law until a judge explains it to them slowly and carefully, then makes them pay the opposing attorney for the education.

Sent from my Nokia 925 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lance0812
#7 ·
The state needs to step up and handle the mix of laws among the cities. It would be almost impossible to research all of the city ordinances. They are just making innocent people, conforming to state law, into criminals.

#10 ·
I will have to look again, but if I remember right, Florida's Governor signed legislation preventing cities from writing laws that go beyond state and federal laws on gun control.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Kansas had that same problem up until last year or the year before when they passed a law that rectified it. In fact I think Wichita, the largest city in Kansas, had ordinances against open carry for like ever. And there were some smaller cities too that had one. I've heard there are still some cities holding out as long as they can even now, but that some Libertarian group has been working on them.

#13 ·
Kansas had that same problem up until last year or the year before when they passed a law that rectified it. In fact I think Wichita, the largest city in Kansas, had ordinances against open carry for like ever. And there were some smaller cities too that had one. I've heard there are still some cities holding out as long as they can even now, but that some Libertarian group has been working on them.
I live near a city that has such an illegal ordinance, and now they are being sued.

#18 ·
It's legal here to open carry but why? I don't want a gang of thugs to disarm me and use my gun in a crime against me or another. JMHO.
That happen a lot in Nv?

#17 ·
Here in Ohio we used to have the same problems until OFCC sued (successfully) several cities and then the state passed laws that stae laws prevail over any local laws. there are still a few cities that try to ignore state law but all they do is draw open carry demonstrations. At least now here we don't have to worry about different city laws evrywhere we go in the state.

#20 ·
Three important steps.

1) Organize a local 2A civil rights group.
2) Lobby the legislature to clean up the law. Stress the problem of "invisible lines".
3) Sue cities that don't follow the new laws.

Repeat as necessary.
Note: This will take years to achieve. Freedom takes hard work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.