Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have checked out Armslist.com and/or frequent it? I just stumbled onto it for the first time about a week ago.. now I can't stop watching it. If you don't know what it is, I guess you could relate it to Craigslist, but for mainly firearms and accesories. You pick your state, then area or cities of the state, and from those results you can filter from private/retail, fs/ft/wtb, caliber, pistol/rifle etc. A key-word search is also available.

I was surprised about how many people are actually using it around here. I don't live in the smallest city but I know there are lots bigger that would have even more listings daily.

If you've checked it out before or do after this, let me know what you think or share any experiences you've had. I know that in dealing with individuals, experiences can change with every call/email/transaction but still would like to hear about it.

Are there any other or better sites like it you use or have?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I've gotten a 709 from it and some ammo from the local armslist. No problems from it. I also check a couple of local (State) forums for deals...

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I check it a couple of times a day. I have gotten a few things from there but it is starting to get a lot like Craigslist in that a lot of people/businesses are starting to clutter it up with either overpriced items or multiple lists with different titles. It seems like a lot of people dealing with John Q Public think we know nothing about the price of their $1500 Crossman air rifle and no, the price is firm. Still look for good deals though. It can be addictive once you find a steal!

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I had never heard of it before now and it looks interesting, thanks for the post....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears to be a great alternative to waiting on the gun show to come around once every few months. That is, if there was ever a reason you wanted to buy used...

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I check it often and generally find people list most old guns as though they are collector's items and, in the case of new guns, they're trying to get back every penny they paid for them.
On the other hand, they may price them high in the knowledge they'll have to dicker, but in my case that works against them - because I skip over them.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Awesome website, thanks for post

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I've used it, sometimes well sometimes not so well.

The thing that bothers me the most about armslist/craigslist is the people who just wanna email back and forth 10x a day for a week, then, "oh no I don't have the funds, I just wanted to check it out". Makes me want to throatpunch some nerds.

That's my rant on it, sure there's good deals to be found, but there's some real weird people out there.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Craigslist is notorious for crime even murder. So I would be real cautious with a gun site that does the same.

Reactions: kaiged1

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've used it quite a bit to buy and sell. As long as you know the value of what you're looking for. You do get the occasional PIA that is just waisting your time. I look at it many times a day.

·
13,540 Posts
I've used it, sometimes well sometimes not so well.

The thing that bothers me the most about armslist/craigslist is the people who just wanna email back and forth 10x a day for a week, then, "oh no I don't have the funds, I just wanted to check it out". Makes me want to throatpunch some nerds.

That's my rant on it, sure there's good deals to be found, but there's some real weird people out there.
My pet peeve is the seller who says, "It's not overpriced! I paid xxx.xx for it!"
Well, excuse me, buddy but you got taken to the cleaners on that deal and I ain't gonna bail you out.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I found my NIB black stainless TCP on there a few months ago. I have decided that I will pretty much stick to buying guns through private sale if at all possible.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found my NIB black stainless TCP on there a few months ago. I have decided that I will pretty much stick to buying guns through private sale if at all possible.
I feel the same way youngandfree! In fact, since I hadn't found what I was looking for yet on Armslist, I went early to the local gun show yesterday and found it in a private collection, which was my goal. It went home with me...!

I will continue to watch Armslist as I am in the market for a kel tec sub 2000 in 9mm (glock feed) or a High Point 9mm carbine. I saw a new sub2000 at the show but it was in 40 cal. I probably would have bought that one new had it been the model I want.

I'm also in the market for a AR15 5.56. I looked for just a lower receiver I could buy there from an individual but didn't find one. Might have to just order one.. :(

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
I took a look at the closest one... no bargains. In fact there was one I flagged as overpriced - a Hi-Point 9mm for $375 (It did have a holster ;))

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
Craigslist is notorious for crime even murder. So I would be real cautious with a gun site that does the same.
Good point. There was a local case from Craigslist - it was even discussed on TA.
How about this for a possible way to deal with it.
  1. Meet at a public range - it would be a good idea to shoot the thing anyway.
  2. Bring a friend who is carrying. You will inevitably be distracted and concentrating on the sale, rather than the surroundings.
  3. Leave the money locked and hidden in the car until the deal is made.
The first 2 work for the seller as well.

·
13,540 Posts
I took a look at the closest one... no bargains. In fact there was one I flagged as overpriced - a Hi-Point 9mm for $375 (It did have a holster ;))
At that price it should have included a bodyguard to wear the holster and carry the pistol for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts