Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Armscore/Tanfoglio RIA MAP1 9x19mm with Hogue Grip and Magazine with Pearce Grip Magazine +2 Extension

Was lurking in my favorite local Gun Shop, looking in vain, for some .22 LR ammunition, when I spied a new small frame 9mm Tanfoglio variant, of which I had been wanting for some time. With the market being what it is, I decided to GET, while the getting was there, and the rest is a good history.

Armscore/Tanfoglio RIA MAP1 Field Stripped

My initial impressions were that the Pistol is well made and durable and that is still my assessment after some 200 rounds downrange, now. The only visible tool marks found were on the left side safety and they were quite minor. Finish is a dark Parkerize that can be dark grey to black, depending upon the light and whether preservative oil is present. I'm keeping a very light coating of Ballistol on it, which makes it appear more Black. The Pistols action was smooth, even when dry of oil. This handgun is of all Steel Construction. Manual Safety has ambi-dextrous levers.

Armscore/Tanfoglio RIA MAP1 9x19mm Accuracy with Match load of Berry's 124 grn FP over 4.8 grains of WST at 50 feet, offhand.

At the Range, it performed very well in the Accuracy Department. In Reliability however, the Magazines that came with it, were only so so, as the supplied Magazines ( it comes with two 16 rounders) had weak springs. As I had a good stock of Mec-Gar Magazines, this proved not to be an issue, and with my Mec-Gar Magazines, it proved to be 100% feed reliable with all Factory and Reloaded Ammunition used. The only issue with the Witness Mec-Gar Magazines was that they did not activate the Slide Stop, which is not a deal breaker. I have some Wolff +5% Magazine Springs on order ( 4 to 6 weeks out) and that should cure the supplied Magazines issues.

Ammunition used was mostly my Reloaded Match ammunition with a box each of CCI 124 grain +P Gold Dots and Winchester 124 grain +P PDX.

The supplied magazines have the "Triangle T" symbol stamped on them, which denotes Tanfoglio, however I strongly suspect that they are made by Sabatti, which can be infamous for having weak Magazine Springs. The rest of the Magazines are made pretty well, and generally all you need do, to redeem a Sabatti Magazine, is to replace it's Spring. I've put them off to the side till my Springs get here. When the new Magazine Springs get here, I will also add Pearce Grip +2 extensions to the Magazines, which should give me an 18 round Magazine Capacity.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I love the fixed sights, the Grip, the Trigger, the Accuracy, and Reliability. The only minor inconvenience is the Rail, which has made holster selection a bit more problematic.

·
10,379 Posts
Nice! Looks like it's in really good shape. Hope the springs work out for you.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Yes they are good guns, I had the MAPP1 MS but it walked out via a son's girlfriend and has never been recovered. I have a number of magazines that is all that is left of it. She even took the custom made Leather IWB holster with the gun.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
Looks identical to my Witness in 10MM, except its a wonder finish, other than that same grips, same rail, looks like same sights, etc.
I got an original magazine that is made by Tanfoglio and I ordered 2 new ones as extras and they appear to be Meg Gar, although they were i Tanfoglio plastic sleeves??
So i guess the only difference in this and the EAA witness is that its imported/distributed by Armscor?
I really, really like both my 38 Super and 10 MM Tanfoglio (EAA WITNESS) and have been duly impressed with the quality, accuracy and certainly the price of them.
enjoy!

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i guess the only difference in this and the EAA witness is that its imported/distributed by Armscor?
I really, really like both my 38 Super and 10 MM Tanfoglio (EAA WITNESS) and have been duly impressed with the quality, accuracy and certainly the price of them.
enjoy!
Not exactly. Tanfoglio sends Finished Barrels and small parts, semi-finished Frames and Slides, to Armscore/Rock Island Armory in the Philippines, where they are finish machined, Black-Parkerized, Assembled, proofed, then shipped. One of the nice differences between these and an EAA Witness, is that they come stock with Ambi-Safety levers. Also, these are built on the Tanfoglio small 9mm/.40 frame, which EAA imports very little of, preferring to import only the Large .45/10mm/.38 Super Frame based Tanfoglio Pistols. I prefer the original small 9mm/.40 frame for the 9x19mm Cartridge. Fewer Feeding and Mag issues, that way. That said, the newer Mec-Gar Magazines for the large frame variants are now reliable. Still, I had small frame Witness Magazines already in my stock, so it's more convenient, and I like the small frame sized grip. Actually, I like them both!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrats on the new slinger

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Actually the EAA Witness and Armscor are different internally. One is called the wide frame and the other the small frame. Well basically it comes down to the way the slide fits on the frame as both are physically exactly the same dimension wise. Now things that won't interchange are conversion kits for EAA won't work on the Armscor version and are not available for it either. Cons on buy from Armscor over EAA is super customer service as Armscor Precision is the single best Customer Service I've ever dealt with and that is a lot of the really big guys too. EAA customer service makes Taurus look like one of the best of the top so not really that good at all.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx everyone!

Just an update here. I've now acquired Mec-Gar Cz75 17 round and 19 round Magazines which work perfectly in the Armscore MAP1 and my Tanfoglio TA90.
These would work great for USPSA Limited Class and other uses.

TA90 and MAP1 with 19 round Mec-Gar Cz75 Magazines and Hogue Grips

Reactions: Wolf1477
1 - 12 of 12 Posts