Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people have started threads about the best bear loads. Well, a man I tend to believe tells me that the bear are starting to move around in Cades Cove and many have cubs in tow. If I can talk the family into it and the weather holds, we just might go out photographing bear. We will travel by bicycle, with cameras. If I bother to carry at all, it will be a Taurus 85UL, with 125gr, Hornady XTP. If you are questioning this load as a bear load, then let me respond by saying that (1), I keep my distance, and give them the respect the deserve. (300mm tripod mounted) and (2), It aint the bear I carry for, A cap gun that makes noise is enough for a TN black bear. It's the people that worry me. :cool:

Reactions: MOONDAWG

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Cades Cove..... I haven't been this year, thanks for mentioning it! Now to go make a few calls and get a group together.

Oh and to stay on topic, my bear load would be federal 180gr HP

Creek

Reactions: SixFalls

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
"....bother to carry at all"

Uhm, yah, well.

When I v have carried a .357 in the bear country I live in the middle of, including my yard, I have at least a 158 gn sp, if it's factory ammo. Cracking the skull or breaking a shoulder are your best bets with a face on bear. I don't trust a 125 jhp to do either.

I know at least two people who have killed black bears in their own yards around here. They've become believers in heavy bullets.

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
While black bears are believed to be far less aggressive than other species of bear, they have been known to attack humans. Reports of black bear attacks in North America are increasing as their numbers get larger and there are more interactions.

Personally, I would not discount the odds of getting attacked or not getting attacked and would carry a firearm capable of taking care of a bear as well as 2 legged miscreants.

As of now, that would have to be my Taurus Model 65 loaded with 158 gr JSP ammo.

If I had time to plan, I'd pick up a lite weight 44 magnum with a 3 or 4 inch barrel as my bear defense gun.

Reactions: leftcoastrebel

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
I'm not so sure about a hollowpoint load.....I think I want something that will go right through the toughest part of that bear. I'm thinking something like a 158 grain jacketed softpoint, or perhaps a cast flat point bullet of some kind. Minimum weight 158 grain.

·
Registered
31,749 Posts
I always kept a model 85 tent gun, just to make sure I didn't have to be around while the bear ate lunch!

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
If the bear is not your concern, then the little popgun will be just fine for those two legged critters. Go forth and know you are safe in that environment. ....As you have said, you will not be getting close to the ones you can see. Have fun and please share your pictures with us.:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
The only thing predictable about a bear is that they are unpredictable. More folks are mauled, wounded, or killed by Black Bears, than ever are by Grizzlies and Kodiak salmon eaters. Whenever I am in the woods I carry bear spray, and my Taurus® TRACKER™ in 41 Remington® Magnum; loaded with 250gr Federal® Hardcast CastCore® bullets. My backup to that is my Taurus® Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum loaded with Buffalo Bore® 180gr LFN ammunition. 38 Special is fine for shooting felons, not so fine for shooting critters like bears in my experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts