Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Phoenix, Arizona visiting my youngest son this week before Christmas. I asked, in another thread, for suggestions on which firearms stores to visit while I'm here. brotherbrian recommended Arizona Firearms on West University Drive in Tempe http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/firing-line/131536-next-three-days-i-ll-phoenix.html#post1918922.

Brian, I owe you. The first drink is on me.

The first thing my wife and I noticed as we drove up to the smallish-looking store was that all of the few parking spaces were full. We solved that dilemma by parking next door where we weren't supposed to (my wife volunteered to stay in the car while I shopped; she's not a big firearms fan). I walked into a nondescript entrance and was instantly transported to a low-ceilinged, warm and comfortable place called, "This Is What Every Gun Store Should Be."

I was immediately greeted by an employee from behind the counter; this is always a Good Thing when entering any store. To my left was a double-rack of lever action Winchesters and Marlins. The lever action rifles closest to me were mostly labeled "Pre-1964," and there were quite a few to choose from. Prices varied from the mid-$400s to close to $800. Beyond them was an alcove of various and assorted firearms, accessories, and the entrance to their back room/gunsmith chop.

Straight ahead were wall dislplays, rows, racks, and display cases full of firearms, all well-laid out, all clearly marked with tags and prices, all sorted and categorized in common sense ways. It was all sort of crowded, well-stocked, welcoming, and comfortable at the same time. Every time an employee passed by behind the counter or on the floor, I was asked if I had any questions, would I like to see something, did I need help. I stopped at one part of the counter and inquired about concealable 9mm pistols. They pulled out three models that I was asked about, answered my questions, let me compare them, offered personal opinions and what they heard about this one, a complaint about that one...all this after I clearly told them I was from out-of-town and wouldn't be buying anything.

I complimented them on having a great place, and mentioned the parking problem. They acknowledged it is a problem, that they have outgrown their property and are considering a move to a larger place. I pleaded with them that if they did, please keep the atmosphere that they currently had.

Arizona Firearms in Phoenix has my highest recommendation. Even if you're not going to buy anything, stop in just for the experience and the instant camaraderie. We're firearms enthusiasts and so are they, and as soon as you walk in, you can feel it.

Two thumbs way up.

·
Super Moderator
40,615 Posts
Sounds like a good place, reminds me of the place Sekol & DH took me to in PA, think it was called The Bunker. Small, well stocked, and friendly.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I'll keep that in mind if I ever make it out to Arizona.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
when i made the 3.5 hr trek up there, the pistol I was interested in had more scratches than the pic they showed, and it had more wear. He went in back and brought out 2 more of the same pistol that were up for auction and let me take my pick of the lot. very helpful indeed. i will buy from again if they have anything im looking for.

glad I was helpful, and glad you enjoyed your visit. I hope all stays well with your family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts