Taurus Firearm Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
G3/TX22
231 Posts
I am a cheap flashlight junkie and have purchased more than a dozen of those 3-4 dollar Cree single AA flashlights from China. Given a lot away also. Drives me nuts when those push button switches on the back fail to work. In fact I was looking for a cure to that just a day ago.
From one flashoholic to another, how ya doing brother :)

Sounds like your talking about the Sipik and/or the SK68. Those are the ones that can take either a single AA or a 14500 lithium ion battery. With the AA you'll get about 80ish lumens, which is quite bright. With a 14500 you'll pump that up to around 300 lumens which is great for such a small light (though these days you can get something like a Nitecore EA11 or EC11 that pumps out 900+ on turbo). If you haven't been there, take a look at budgetlightforums and you'll see all kinds of mods and repairs for various lights. You can easily repair the switches. Here is an example, it's a typical 18650 light and not a Sipik or SK68 but it's probably similar. The tail cap part starts around the 1:10 mark.

Budgetlightforums would probably have info on parts and where to get them :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
None of my current defensive lineup even has rails but last night, listening to a spooky roadside story on Youtube, I decided I "need" a light mounted on my carry pistol.

What about you guys?
I have lights mounted on most of my semi autos. Even if they don't have rails you can still usually get lights for them. I have a Streamlight TLR 6 mounted on my Glock 26. On my Glock 26 it mounts to the trigger guard. My Kahr also has a light and it mounts to the trigger guard. They work good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow....
Lots to talk about on this one today. I just hope I can remember everything and get it typed out effectively...

I'm not totally for or against the idea of a WML. I can see alot of pros and cons. I presently don't have any, so my comments and ideas are as much hypothetical as anything, but may be fun to discuss. The biggest reasons I don't have any are....

1) Price/quality ratio. I've seen plenty of WMLs for sale over the years. Especially the last couple of years. Seems LEDs and better battery systems have made alot of positive impact on the flashlight market in the last few years. But basically, if they weren't really expensive, they felt like they were made from spare parts and would fall apart quickly.

2) Holsters. I already have hundreds of dollars invested in my holster collection. It takes some trial and error to learn what works for you. If you get out and live a little and don't just follow a set routine 24/7, then you probably have a few different holsters for each gun you might carry, to adapt to different activities, outfits and carry positions. If I made the additional investment to get quality WMLs, I would insist on heavy kydex to protect the weapon and the light. The custom kydex holsters necessary to accommodate those requirements would be less than readily available. As well as probably expensive.

3) My carry preferences. I'm mostly interested in revolvers. I mostly carry revolvers. They don't typically come with accessory rails. Go figure.

So regarding my reasons, yeah, I know I probably would/will change my mind about #1 eventually when I find the right deal on a good quality light. I know the technology has been around a little while now and prices are coming down on it.
But I haven't found that deal, yet.

Maybe one of you flashlight junkies know the one I need to look at?

Regarding reason #2, if I knew of anyone in my area that made custom kydex, especially if it was at a good price, it probably wouldn't be an issue.
But as of right now, I don't.

Regarding reason #3, I do have, love and carry a couple of autos. A Glock 22 and a Glock 27. Both 3rd gen. They do have rails and could be used to try the idea. Maybe I will one day.

To the WML idea in general, I think proper training and thinking with the idea, and a little bit of wisdom from the experience of men who have used them, would make a world of difference. A few points I want to consider...

The most obvious point in my mind, I'd like to reiterate what another poster pointed out, it would not be my only light. Not even my primary light. The WML is a specialized tool and should only be used as such. The primary flashlight is a general utility tool and used accordingly.

I get the "it makes you a target" point. I agree, to some extent. If I were in a fire fight and saw my enemy light himself, or allies, up with a bright light, yeah, I'd take advantage of that and aim at the lit up profile. However, unless you're facing multiple enemies, the stunning effect of blinding the enemy could be of much more tactical value to you. Wait until you know you're near and use that extra light, and the split second it provides, to make sure you hit your target. The trick would just be having the right kind of activation switch, which would allow you to use the light sparingly and at the right times.

If blinding yourself in an especially dark setting is your concern, there are filters you can get and use that would help alot. Such and example would be the classic MiniMag lights that came with a rubber boot and small translucent red, blue or green plastic discs. If you put the red disc in the rubber boot and put it over the light, the light had just as much range, but was much less harsh and didn't dialate the eyes nearly as much. Maybe this could help? Of course you can also just get/use a light that's not as ridiculously bright.

Really, if the situation doesn't call for a light, the simplest solution is to just leave it off.

Another point that comes to mind is that everyone seems to be thinking about this from the same perspective of a tactical weapon, in a tactical situation and multiple trained enemies. I kinda get why. Most guns that have accessory rails and lights are modern, plastic body autos in all black and high capacity... But what about other much more likely situations?

For one example, I live in an apartment complex. It's really nice and well maintained. They have dumpsters placed strategically around the area for all the tenants to use at our convince. In keeping the appearance and hygiene in mind, they all have a nice painted wooden fence around them so they're not so visible. I watch those areas closely when I take out the trash. Especially when it's dark. They're an obvious, perfect ambush point. A person could easily hide there and when you approach your hands would be full with the trash bags. If someone jumps out from behind the dumpster one night I'm not waiting to see if they have good intentions. I'm gonna draw. It would be nice to be able to see who and what I'm pointing at before I shoot. A WML would be much better than fumbling around for a separate flashlight in that situation.

Another one that comes to mind is that I like to be outside alot. Go on day hikes, walk around the local parks, take my kids to play outside, which sometimes means going beyond the marked playgrounds. What if we loose track of time and are out past curfew? Then in the darkness there's a big bump? We suddenly are next to a large wild dog, or black bear, or whatever else, and he seems angry. Maybe we don't know for sure if he's a threat or not, so I need a light to watch him. I'm not gonna wait for him to jump on my 2 year old to draw and hope she's okay. Having my light and sights on him at the same time while we back away slowly and hopefully make some distance so I don't have to shoot him would be great. Having a free hand so I can hold her hand and be sure she backs away properly too would be even better. Not all threats are people.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have lights mounted on most of my semi autos. Even if they don't have rails you can still usually get lights for them. I have a Streamlight TLR 6 mounted on my Glock 26. On my Glock 26 it mounts to the trigger guard. My Kahr also has a light and it mounts to the trigger guard. They work good.
Tell me about "Kahr with light mounted on trigger guard."

What Kahr and what light?

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
Backup and or threaten to send in a barkiing dog. Been there seen that before. :rolleyes:

well in reality--setting the building on fire and waiting outside is the BEST answer!
believe me I have seen them run out like rats off a sinking ship--Damn tear gas)!
course there is that collateral damage--but hey is it YOUR BUILDING?

Sleeve Textile Gesture Event Street fashion

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
well in reality--setting the building on fire and waiting outside is the BEST answer!
believe me I have seen them run out like rats off a sinking ship--Damn tear gas)!
course there is that collateral damage--but hey is it YOUR BUILDING?

View attachment 483099
The times I've seen a K9 used it wasn't my building, so burning the building down would've probably gotten us a stern talking to by the chief. Not just my chief but the fire chief too. :) It would however be the quickest solution, and the most entertaining.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts