Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
9,243 Posts
AS you can tell this is almost like caliber wars. Something not mentioned yet is what happens to your sights when using a light. Basically they go dark, because your eyes focus on the bright light not the sights. So just add night sights ... right????Well maybe. You need to find a set of night sights that are designed with a slight angle to the covering glass so the night sights don't dark out as well. Also the tritium needs to be bright. Personally for me my carry guns all have night sights, and I use a penlight in the off hand that has a momentary switch.
For Home defense I use a CT light and XS night sights on a Glock 21 SF. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FTKT4KD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These are still visible with my CT rail ight.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I'd have to find it again......it's among "Mr. Nightmare" 's selection. "Roadside horror" or something like that.

Story has some big holes in it, but concerned motorist happens into a murder scene. Alone trying to aid a screaming woman in an abandoned building but apparently no gun and no light.
I'd be wary as heck of venturing into an abandoned building under that circumstance. Is it a setup? If not, how many bad guys are there? Where are they? After all is said and done, I'm not a cop...but even a cop would call for backup before entering the building.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Note, I have no vested dealing with this company or Amazon. But these are ones that I have been using and wearing daily for about two years now. I also have some in some of those small maxpedition pouches with some first aid kit items.. just a "grab and go" pouch if I heading out anywhere for the day:
I've got a handful of those.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'd be wary as heck of venturing into an abandoned building under that circumstance. Is it a setup? If not, how many bad guys are there? Where are they? After all is said and done, I'm not a cop...but even a cop would call for backup before entering the building.
A man's got to know his limitations.

LOL.

That is why I'd want a light on my weapon! Never really wanted one before but do now. I don't normally clear strange buildings alone but I just might if I felt someone's life was in danger.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
The only 1911 I've found (so far) that meets most of my requirements is by EAA Corp and is steel-framed. Commander-sized, 9mm Parabellum, light rail. I want to convert it to .38 Super Auto though.

You'd think rails on 1911's would be more common but no......

Silverstring....

It is a bit like a "caliber war" but without the aggression those usually bring. LOL

Good point on the "sights washed out." I'd have a laser grip on mine though. Flashlights on guns are the rage now, along with appendix carry.

·
Registered
29,937 Posts
Nope. Any flashlight in the dark can become a target. I keep one at bedside, but I am familiar enough with my own home that I can see and navigate it without it. If I did need it, it would be held out, away from my body.
I'll second Smokes post.

In my case, I wish I could take the rails off everything I own.

Reactions: william

·
Super Moderator
35,684 Posts
I used to carry a flashlight 24/7. Then I got a cell phone with a flashlight in it. It's lighter and I carry it anyway. It's not for tacticool uses. just finding my way from the truck to the porch when I get home. I do carry a real flashlight when I'm hunting hogs, usually one that goes on my head, just for following blood trails and such.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I had never used a light on any firearm so I bought a cheep on to fit on my Glock 43x. Glad I bought a cheap one....found it is not my thing. I have security lights around the house with back up generator....same with night lights in the house. Not going to shoot at anything I can see as my target anyhow.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
G3/TX22
231 Posts
None of my current defensive lineup even has rails but last night, listening to a spooky roadside story on Youtube, I decided I "need" a light mounted on my carry pistol.

What about you guys?
A WML (weapon mounted light) always makes for a spirited discussion. There is some good training to be had for the use of a WML. And there are many reasons to incorporate a WML on both your HD pistols as well as an EDC. One of the often touted negatives is that 'I don't want to point my gun at something I want to illuminate'. That isn't entirely accurate because an object/target/threat doesn't necessarily need the pistol to be pointed directly at it to illuminate it i.e. the 'umbrella' tactic.

Additionally, for those that say they'll just 'carry a flashlight' in the support hand...it isn't always possible. First, it leaves just one hand on the weapon which isn't as stable as a two-hand grip. Second, that support hand might be busy holding a loved one, direct pressure on a bleeding injury or it may be injured itself. For example, back in July I broke my wrist. Bad. As a result I had no range-of-motion in the forearm/wrist and could not physically use my hand. I could not have held even small flashlight and even if I somehow managed it, I could not have aimed the light without contorting my body. As such, I was very glad I had a TLR-6 mounted on both my EDC Sig P365 and P365XL.

With proper tactics it can offer many positives with very few to no negatives. I obviously prefer a WML on any pistol I have when possible.

I'll offer this link which has discussion, links, pics of beam shots and videos that may be of interest to you.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Backup and or threaten to send in a barkiing dog. Been there seen that before. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Here are a couple of interesting links on the subject. The one link talks about them being dangerous but they are mainly referring to how the light is activated, and whether it leads to an unintended discharge under stress.

·
Registered
G3/TX22
231 Posts
Both my Sig P365 and P365XL with TLR-6. Beam shots are in the link in post #30.

The XL is my normal EDC these days. The P365 was the last pistol I qualified with for off-duty prior to retiring. The TLR-6 adds only an ounce to the overall platform.

Additionally, I also carry at least one hand-held flashlight as well. So handheld vs. WML really isn't mutually exclusive. Both have a place. As I noted in post #30, a handheld does have some realistic limitations as well as inherent advantages.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
on my AR i have a light /laser combo. CQC after the party is started, the need not to be seen vs target identification, night vision and target acquisition has shifted so light them up takes on more than one meaning.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My training comes from FLETC and the OR DPSST. Where does yours come from? Why do you believe you need so many lights? What do you think could happen if you're juggling your lights while covering somebody or somebody is watching you while you've illuminated yourself with them while they are still under cover of dark? Have you had actual professional training? If so, what government law enforcement agency did you train with that reinforced this known bad practice with you?
WOW - carrying a pocket flashlight AND having a wml is "SO MANY" --- LOL
For my personal situation I wouldn't be "covering" anyone, if my pistol needs to come out it's 99.9% getting fired - I'm not a leo (and don't play one on tv) nor do I intend to arrest anyone,

Your statement of someone "watching me while still undercover of dark" is ridiculous as well, if that's the case it makes no difference if it's handheld or not as more then likely even with a handheld you're illuminating yourself enough that the boogieman can see enough of a silhouette to shoot you.

Great, we get it, you don't like wml's and think carrying a handheld and using one doesn't make any sense, no one is saying you have to.....but it sure doesn't detract from the usefulness of them, or having both available to use (again, not simultaneously).

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
on my AR i have a light /laser combo. CQC after the party is started, the need not to be seen vs target identification, night vision and target acquisition has shifted so light them up takes on more than one meaning.
It's interesting that you have a laser/light combo, because lasers by LE are mentioned in the link I posted in #32. I heard of a couple of examples of suspects complying after having a laser used on them by an officer with one of the depts. I was associated with. It gives the perception in the suspects mind that if there's a shooting the cop won't miss. That's not true of course, but sometimes perception is better than reality if it prevents a shooting from happening in the first place.

We asked for the respondents’ stories of such confrontations, and they are fascinating. Here are some examples:

• “I found out you get approximately 80% compliance when advising the actors to follow commands when pointing the laser at center mass.”

• “I’ve had a number of encounters with people who have either attacked someone with a knife or were confronting me with a knife. Using my pistol’s red laser, I made it known I was prepared to shoot them and would hit them if I fired. All of these encounters ended peacefully.”

• “After a pursuit the driver wasn’t cooperative. When laser sight was used, he complied. He later remarked that he thought we wouldn’t miss if we shot at him.”

• “Excellent on felony stops. While the suspect is facing away, we shine the laser past them to get their attention and they comply more quickly. It also helps when holding one suspect at gunpoint while others are at large and I’m waiting on backup. I believe it has prevented an escalation in force on several occasions.”

• “I was confronted by a suspect with a folding knife who threatened to kill me and my partner. We both had pistol mounted lasers. The suspect noticed the red dots swimming on his chest and he seemed to wake up. He dropped the knife. Later he said he wanted to kill himself and wanted us to shoot him. But when he saw the laser dots, it became “real” for him and he changed his mind.”

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a cheap flashlight junkie and have purchased more than a dozen of those 3-4 dollar Cree single AA flashlights from China. Given a lot away also. Drives me nuts when those push button switches on the back fail to work. In fact I was looking for a cure to that just a day ago.
"Usually" those push button switches will pop out of the flashlight fairly easily. Most of the problems I've had have been with the ground tab on the side of the switch. Bend it out a bit to make better contact and it usually fixes the problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
None of my current defensive lineup even has rails but last night, listening to a spooky roadside story on Youtube, I decided I "need" a light mounted on my carry pistol.

What about you guys?
Do you want to point your pistol where you point your flashlight- everytime? The only reason I see for pistol mounted flashlight- is to have a two handed grip on the pistol. But if you need two hands searching in the dark…. Why are you searching in the dark with your pistol? Sounds like a set up for a deadly mistake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't seen (maybe I missed it ??) the main problem with flashlights at night.

Some years ago, I had a high intensity flashlight on my nightstand alongside my protection weapon. Got to thinking about it late one night, long after lights out.....my eyes wee adapted to night vision - what'll happen if I turn on that flashlight ?? Sooo....I picked it up and turned it on. Hah ! ! !

Instant blindness. The whole world was blinding white. If an intruder had been there, I couldn't have seen him.

Next day I did some fussing around in the shop and came up with a possible solution: I had a small, cheap, single AA cell, bulb type (remember those ??) flashlight laying around. I put a worn out AA cell in it and put it on the nightstand. I could hardly see the faded beam in a darkened room. That night after my eyes were adapted, I turned it on. Perfect ! ! ! It was plenty bright with my adapted eyes, but didn't blind me. That's been 6 or 8 years ago and it still lives on my nightstand.

I fully agree with the idea of holding the flashlight way off to the side with the left hand while aiming the pistol with the right. If an intruder shoots at the light, he may hit my hand. Maybe. Better than between my eyes.

·
Registered
G3/TX22
231 Posts
Do you want to point your pistol where you point your flashlight- everytime?
But you don't necessarily have to point the firearm at the target in order to illuminate it for identification. You can use something like the umbrella technique. This will illuminate the target/thread while still keeping the firearm pointed in a safe direction, yet still have it at the ready to employ if necessary.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts