Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of my current defensive lineup even has rails but last night, listening to a spooky roadside story on Youtube, I decided I "need" a light mounted on my carry pistol.

What about you guys?

·
Administrator
40,847 Posts
Nope. Any flashlight in the dark can become a target. I keep one at bedside, but I am familiar enough with my own home that I can see and navigate it without it. If I did need it, it would be held out, away from my body.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nope. Any flashlight in the dark can become a target. I keep one at bedside, but I am familiar enough with my own home that I can see and navigate it without it. If I did need it, it would be held out, away from my body.
Bingo.
"HEY! SHOOT ME FIRST!"
No thanks.

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Super Moderator
38,644 Posts
The only gun of mine that has a light attached is my 300 BLK 10" with a Streamlight light/laser . Others have tritium sights. A Cree taclight is on the nightstand that would blind an intruder in low light. Like said , I know my house and my eyes would br accustomed to low light already .

Reactions: Ralph_Kirk

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Not on my gun, if needed I can have one in my hand and my pistol in another. One of the things I always have on me is one of those thin penlights, mainly a cheaper metal kind that looks like a streamlight model. It has a pocket clip and it's very convenient to have. It has three modes bright, less bright and strobe. If you look on amazon they have them as a two pack for around $11.00

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd have to find it again......it's among "Mr. Nightmare" 's selection. "Roadside horror" or something like that.

Story has some big holes in it, but concerned motorist happens into a murder scene. Alone trying to aid a screaming woman in an abandoned building but apparently no gun and no light.

·
Super Moderator
38,644 Posts
Not on my gun, if needed I can have one in my hand and my pistol in another. One of the things I always have on me is one of those thin penlights, mainly a cheaper metal kind that looks like a streamlight model. It has a pocket clip and it's very convenient to have. It has three modes bright, less bright and strobe. If you look on amazon they have them as a two pack for around $11.00
I am a cheap flashlight junkie and have purchased more than a dozen of those 3-4 dollar Cree single AA flashlights from China. Given a lot away also. Drives me nuts when those push button switches on the back fail to work. In fact I was looking for a cure to that just a day ago.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Nope. The only gun that I have with a light on it is the 1100 that's set up as a house gun. It's got a SureFire Responder forearm on it with an integrated 6P. Where the light points, the gun points and it works off of a touch pad, so it's only on if I squeeze.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I am a cheap flashlight junkie and have purchased more than a dozen of those 3-4 dollar Cree single AA flashlights from China. Given a lot away also. Drives me nuts when those push button switches on the back fail to work. In fact I was looking for a cure to that just a day ago.
Note, I have no vested dealing with this company or Amazon. But these are ones that I have been using and wearing daily for about two years now. I also have some in some of those small maxpedition pouches with some first aid kit items.. just a "grab and go" pouch if I heading out anywhere for the day:

·
Super Moderator
38,644 Posts
Note, I have no vested dealing with this company or Amazon. But these are ones that I have been using and wearing daily for about two years now. I also have some in some of those small maxpedition pouches with some first aid kit items.. just a "grab and go" pouch if I heading out anywhere for the day:
I may have to try those. The ones I have are like these and frequently have switch issues that can be remedied by banging it against my hand or nearest object.

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
My laser flashlight is mounted on the scope of my SKS. I kill hogs with it...quite dead I might add. :D I leave the scope on 6x and adjust the beam width to the FOV of the scope. Poor man's night vision.

·
Super Moderator
22,016 Posts
I carry this little guy, it's rechargeable and has bright, low, and strobe. I use it all the time and it is1 carried inside my right hand pocket. It last about a month. In fact I have 2 and when one is charging I have the other.
I also have a laser on my G2C as I wear glasses and if they get knocked off I can activate it to get on target.
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've carried a flashlight on my belt (Streamlight Pro Tac 2L or larger) since 2012. I even wore it on my trip to southeast Asia in 2018, including on the 'planes.

I honestly cannot believe I went about most of my life without a flashlight on my side!

If I get a weapon-mounted light I won't dispense with my flashlight.

I have CTC lasergrips for all my carry handguns but removed it from my Kahr .45 as it seemed to lose zero under recoil.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So then you'd be painting 2 targets on yourself. You don't want 2 flashlights.
I don't think you understand how they'd be used - Initially handheld, and if need be transition to weapon mounted light, not sure where you get they'd be both used at the same time.

No matter what route you go, the best suggestion is get training (and if unable to do that, practice as often as possible - which one should do anyway)

On another note, those with super bright lights on their HD guns, be sure you've tried them in the dark - especially if you have light colored (ie:white) walls in your dwelling. Some lights are really to bright for indoor use and will mess up your vision as well as an intruders.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't think you understand how they'd be used - Initially handheld, and if need be transition to weapon mounted light, not sure where you get they'd be both used at the same time.

No matter what route you go, the best suggestion is get training (and if unable to do that, practice as often as possible - which one should do anyway)

On another note, those with super bright lights on their HD guns, be sure you've tried them in the dark - especially if you have light colored (ie:white) walls in your dwelling. Some lights are really to bright for indoor use and will mess up your vision as well as an intruders.
My training comes from FLETC and the OR DPSST. Where does yours come from? Why do you believe you need so many lights? What do you think could happen if you're juggling your lights while covering somebody or somebody is watching you while you've illuminated yourself with them while they are still under cover of dark? Have you had actual professional training? If so, what government law enforcement agency did you train with that reinforced this known bad practice with you?

·
Registered
17,606 Posts
For me, flashlights are for finding things in dark rooms, entering an unlit garage,
finding my keys at night in the driveway.etc.
I don't have a carry 'piece'. I have an entire pistol.
In my many firefights I've had in our home I have discovered that the intruder's flashlight
stuck on his handgun makes a very good target.
Oh crud, another guy just snuck in through our bedroom window. OK.....there's his flashlight.
Be back in a few.
Never mind. My wife already got him.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts