Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Do you use recoil buffers in your firearms?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• What the he** is that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed some in my S&W 10mm's and will be picking up some more in the near future for the Glocks and others. I was wondering if anyone did use them how they were working out for them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Okay, I give up. What the heck is a recoil buffer? I have recoil pads on my shotguns and on three of my rifles, but I think you're talking about pistols, so I guess that would put me in all three options. :???:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From buffertech.com (just the first thing google popped up when I searched for it) it says ".... buffer is made from a polyurethane with specific shock-absorbing properties. When it is placed between the bolt and what it slams against at the extreme range of its travel, the buffer acts as a gentle cushion." Basically it's a piece of plastic that you insert between your recoil spring and slide. I bought mine from Midwayusa.com. They also make them for rifles.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Okay, I give up. What the heck is a recoil buffer?
+ 1...LOL :D.. when i read that,thought the same thing... :???: :fart:

Basically it's a piece of plastic that you insert between your recoil spring and slide.
ahhh..now i know this thing a ma jiggy :D

when i got my Colt Commander, it had one in it..
don't know if it made a difference, but i left it in there...

mrglock...what is the real reason for them?
Wonder if they are made if you are shooting really hot loads

·
Registered
276 Posts
Recoil buffers are used to lessen felt recoil, to reduce "metal to metal" contact, and also reduce noise associated with the slide slamming back into the frame.

I don't use them.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i was thinking of getting one of these for the 92, anyone know of any tests to show how much it extends the life of the gun? if any?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I forgot I have one in my ruger 10/22. It's just a nylon rod but it gets rid of the clacking from the bolt hitting the steel pin the buffer replaced. Mark

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just installed one on my PT1911. After seeing them, and hearing about them, I found some at a gun show for 50 cents a piece. I bought two (supposed to be good for 1000 rounds). While I didn't notice any felt recoil change (it's a heavy full-size gun and I already have a compensator on it for practice rounds), I know that it';s basically supposed to help the longevity of the internal parts by reducing "shock" on recoil. I figured - if it works, great. If not, I'm out a grand total of $1.

There is a noticeable lack of metal/metal contact when cycling the slide by hand...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel the same way 1source; I definitely don't think they hurt anything and although the effect may be minimal, every little bit helps.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
[Recoil buffers are used to lessen felt recoil, to reduce "metal to metal" contact, and also reduce noise associated with the slide slamming back into the frame.
/quote]

Thanks Pierce ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
They are more commonly used in 1911-type pistols. Slide battering of the frame can be an issue in 1911's if there is not enough recoil spring for the loads being fired.

Most folks just run the stock spring in their pistols (16-1/2# I think is the standard). I find that installing a 22# spring in my Kimber for Doubletap ammo is a little scary. The DT ammo will cycle with that spring but nothing else I've tried will! You have to get a good grip on the slide to rack it, too. There is an opinion that you should run the strongest spring you can, but that is not practical for most shooters.

I guess it's like a little insurance policy. The buffer sacrifices itself to protect the gun. Browning Buckmarks have one installed on the rod and they get pretty beat up after 1000-2000 rds. I don't know if frame battering is an issue in GLOCKs - the general feeling I got over on the GT forum is no. I vaguely recall a post about a malfunction caused by a buffer... I don't know about putting one in a SD/HD gun.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had a Star PD .45 ACP that came with one. That's the only gun that has ever had one, for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts