Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Do not reload or plan to

Votes: 10 12.5%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It strikes me that most of the serious shooters I knew back about 20 or 25 years ago were also reloaders. My impressions from various forums is that not many shooters are reloaders now.

So, what's the numbers look like? :???:

I personally reload Handgun and Rifle, and will soon be set up for shotgun. I wouldn't be able to do anywhere near as much shooting without reloading. ;)

·
22,058 Posts
I reload all of my competition ammo. I like to find the best load and bullet for each gun.

Here are some pics of my machine and my friends who got me into reloading and back into shooting.

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
I reload .45Colt and .45ACP now. These are the most expensive calibers I shoot. 9mm and .380auto are my least shot, so I just buy that ammo. Don't reload for any rifle.(Yet)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I would like to but I don't know if it would be a money savings when you figure in the price of equipment.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
blr358 said:
It strikes me that most of the serious shooters I knew back about 20 or 25 years ago were also reloaders.
I started by reloading shotshells about 35 years ago and then rifle cartridges for plinking and hunting. I've never loaded handgun loads. Then life happened and I gave all my reloading equipment to my brother. I haven't reloaded for 25 years. But when I was into it, I was pretty serious about it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I reload .308, .38sp, and .45acp.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks to this forum and many members who answer my novice reloading questions, I now reload the majority of my 9mm, 38 special and 357’s. To those of you who say you would like to start but funds are limited, you may be surprised at how cheaply one can start rolling their own. For an initial investment of less than $150 you’re in business! Think of it as buying less than 7 boxes of 357 ammo! I wanted to start reloading to save money but quickly found out that it’s fun and very therapeutic after a hard day at the office. Plus, there’s a certain feeling of accomplishment when you’re at the range squeezing off rounds that you made.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I reload .223, .45ACP, .357, .44, .45 Colt, .454 and 9mm. Considering how many rounds of .45 ACP I shoot a year, I've already covered the fairly inexpensive cost of the reloading equipment. Since both my presses are Lee (Classic cast single stage and Loadmaster) the initial costs weren't that much.

A few examples would be the following:

My practice .45 ACP rounds. 230 grain Berry's plated FMJ, 5.2 gr. Accurate Arms #2, CCI large pistol primer and once or more fired cases (I'm on ten reloads through 500 cases with one split so far, when those are done, I've got 2000+ more). The performance of the rounds averages around 850+ fps with very good accuracy for around $8 for 50 rounds. It can be done even cheaper with cast lead rounds, but I've had back luck with leading in the PT.

50 rounds of .357 is around $10 using Hornady XTP loaded to full on magnum levels and around $7 when using reduced loads and Berry's 158 gr. FP bullets. Finally, my average .44 mag load running around 1200 fps is $12 per 50 utilizing 240 gr. XTP's and should be even cheaper with hard cast lead bullets.

Compare these prices with say 50 rounds of some of the better stuff from Black Hills, which my load essentially duplicates. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=312143&t=11082005

I shoot on average 100 rounds from each of my guns every week (yes, all of them except the .22's). If I didn't reload, I flat out wouldn't own as many guns as I do now nor would I be able to shoot them nearly as often, and I'm only running at the "fun" level right now. There's no way I could compete as those guys and gals run 10's of thousands of rounds annually.

Honestly, if you are contemplating reloading then do it immediately as all my costs have nearly doubled in the last two years! Get into it now, load up and enjoy your shooting as ten to twenty years from now, it WILL be a rich mans hobby.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hope to get into the reloading hobby sometime soon but have no idea where to begin, what equipment to purchase, etc. :-\ I hope to get necessary info here. I heard that LEE reloading equipment is good equipment. Anyone agree?

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
Been Reloading for quite a long time now! Reload on a custom setup Dillon XL650 press and a Lyman T-Mag Press. Cartridges I reload:

Rifle
.223/5.56mm
7x57mm Mauser
.30/06

Pistol:
.380 ACP
9mm Luger
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.45 ACP

Shotgun (MEC Reloader)
12 gauge

I reload 9mm and .45 ACP the most, as that is what I tend to shoot the most.

Although I own and operate three 7.62x39mm Rifles (AKM, SKS, and Ruger Mini-30), I don't reload for it, as yet. Bought mostly bulk 7.62x39mm Ammo and stockpiled it, when it was cheaper.

Lack of availablity and Prices for Reloading componenets being on the rise, are of concern at this time! Locally, very few shops carry loading components these days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I reload 45 acp, 45 colt, 44 mag, 38 special, 357 mag and 9mm. The highest volume reloaded are the 45's. Reloading is almost as much fun as shooting and makes it possible for me to do a lot more shooting for the money spent.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I reload 45acp, 38spl, 357 mag, 30-06, 308 and 30-30. Have been for 39 years.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I heard that LEE reloading equipment is good equipment. Anyone agree?
yogiboobooranger (dang.. that is a long name :p)

I remember some of my friends reloading with Lee..1 bullet at a time(I think)
Met some new shooting guys and they had Dillion Progressive reloaders( O MY Goodness) :)

When i get a chance to reload, I will save my money for a progressive reloader..
I hope to reload someday ;)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
dbsoundguy said:
I remember some of my friends reloading with Lee..1 bullet at a time(I think)
Met some new shooting guys and they had Dillion Progressive reloaders( O MY Goodness) :)

When i get a chance to reload, I will save my money for a progressive reloader..
I hope to reload someday ;)
same here, i dont reload yet, do plan to reload in the future, how far into the future i dont know hopefully a year or so from now.. i've been saving all the brass i come across except .22lr of course..

i wanna reload because, 1. save money, 2. looks like it might be fun, 3. i think it would be a good thing to know how to do correctly.

i've read a bit here and there not really got serious about it yet but i like some of the dillion presses i've seen.

i've done decided i wont settle for a single stage, and wanting a progression press i figure i better save up and do it right, but i've got a few guns i wanna get before i start saving up for a press.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Back in the 80s, and early 90s, I used to reload quite a bit. I loaded .38/.357, 45ACP, and .44 Mag. I also loaded for 12 ga shotshells, and I had dies for .380 ACP, but never actually loaded any. I did all the pistol calibers on a Rockchucker press. Back then, W-W 296, Red Dot, Unique, Bullseye, 2400, and H110 were my favorite powders. I also used to shoot 500 to 1000 rounds a week.
I moved quite a distance from my job, in the mid 90s, and there was no time at all to shoot, let alone reload, so I sold all my stuff. Now, for me, the equipment is cost prohibitive, and the components only become a good bargain after many rounds are loaded. Other constraints exist, as well. :(

·
Registered
992 Posts
At my age it's not worth it.
For the price of a set up I can get a new gun.

AFS

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just getting started in reloading. Bought a Hornady lnl from Lak Supply. Trying my hand and casting boolits as well. Sarting with 9mm, 45 acp and 45 colt. Looking to save money over the long haul on the 45's. not sure about savings on the 9mm but brass is free at the range and everyone seems to be shooting this caliber. Even prices for 9mm at Wally World have gone up. With cast boolits and a little powder I should end up with several thousand rounds of 9mm in a years time. :D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts