Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARs are everything now days to the point that you mention shooting a rifle, people just assume it's an AR. :rolleyes: I do have a M4 in 5.56, ONE AR. I do use an SKS for hunting pigs because I have it set up for night hunting. BUT, my deer hunting rifles are traditional bolt guns in decent calibers, .257 Roberts, .308 Winchester, and 7mm Remington Magnum. I'm old, guess I get set in my ways, but these rifles ain't broke, they're simple, and they all shoot at least 1 MOA or less.

ARs are capable of superb accuracy, the magic MOA. ARs are reliable even if they're a little more complicated. I have come to like the design, though I really still would rather have a traditional stock rather than that pistol grip. I've learned how to carry it, though, in the field comfortably. Hard to carry comfortably without a sling, but no real reason to not use the sling. I worked up a load with a 62 grain Barnes for it, shot a little buck last season with it just because. I'm waiting to shoot a turkey with it in the spring. I see that as a better use for it since I can use rifles here for turkey. I shot one several years back quite dead with a .22 magnum rifle, Remington 597 magnum. If I had a .450 Bushmaster upper, I'd turn it in to my night hog rifle, but there's nothing wrong with 7.62x39 and my SKS. I could use a bolt gun for this, but semi auto is the way to go with pigs. You will often get more'n one. :D

But, for general hunting, the bolt gun still rules. The calibers available put the AR to shame. You can get decent calibers for the AR, but they are range limited. Hunting out west with one, I would be hampered by this. I've taken game to near 400 yards, a MULE deer. He went down with a 7mm 150 grain Game King, but I don't think there's an AR caliber I'd wanna use out there. That 7mm bullet starts out at 3200 fps and carries elk killing power to 500 yards. I'm not one to take really long shots, but out there, 300+ is common.

There are new bolt guns that look like ARs, kinda hurt my eyes to look at. If I'm going to be shooting a bolt gun, I'll carry a traditional bolt gun. Might have a polymer stock on it, I'll admit, but I do love to look at a wood stock. I care NOTHING for a removable box magazine. I don't need more than the 3 round integral mag my Savage has (magnum caliber) or the 5 rounders my other two bolt guns have. It's hunting, not war. What it takes is one accurate shot..one shot, one kill.

The bolt guns available now days are affordable. That's one thing that has happened in recent years. Used to be the Savage was the only rifle under 700-1000 dollars that was worth anything. Remington made a lame attempt with the 788 and Savage had the 340 in .30-30, not a strong enough action for high pressure rounds. Now days, EVERYONE's jumping on the bargain bandwagon and these guns are good shooters and functional hunting rifles, but they're no Remington BDL to look at. We still have Weatherbys and BDLs, but I bet sales are near nothing anymore. It may be the end of the high end bolt gun. Wonder how long Weatherby will hold out making the Mk V?

Oh well, the old die to make way for the new. I'll be passing in a few decades at most and be buried with the traditional bolt gun, I guess. Nothing stays the same. After all, before WW1, folks loved their lever guns. They came home and wanted bolt guns for hunting, so the lever gun took a back seat. BUT, the lever gun never died. So here we are, after Nam and Iraq and Afghanistan, soldiers coming home from Afghanistan want their ARs. Wannabe operators used to their video game ARs want ARs, too. So, it's nothing new. I wonder what'll be the next revolution in firearms, phazers? :laugh:

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
No way ! When you're looking to put shots into a group the size of a nickel, you turn to a bolt action rifle. All things being equal, they are (or seem to me) to be more inherently accurate than anything that is semi-auto. I think the bolt action will be around for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No way ! When you're looking to put shots into a group the size of a nickel, you turn to a bolt action rifle. All things being equal, they are (or seem to me) to be more inherently accurate than anything that is semi-auto. I think the bolt action will be around for a long time.
Yeah, well the AR can be sub MOA accurate with a floated barrel, but you're right, bolt guns still rule long range shooting. Of course, most of 'em look like ARs with a bolt. :rofl:

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I don't think the bolt action rifle will fade into obscurity any time soon, well, at least
as far as I am concerned. I own two Savage rifles in .270 and 30.06 that are tackdrivers
and I will continue to hunt and target shoot with them.

There is one thing to remember about traditional bolt actions that it might be good to
remember, if the gun grabbers have there way and ban AR type rifles, heaven forbid,
a bolt action would be good to have if one still wants to shoot the more powerful rifle
cartridges.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
I think that the bolt action guns are here to stay. At least at my age they will be around long after I am gone. That is a good thing (IMHO).

·
Registered
32,205 Posts
NT, I agree, for distance shooting, I'd take a bolt gun any day of the week, and I agree with you on what you use for shooting pigs, particularly with the 154 grain soft points.

Shame we don't have a common enemy anymore to use as an excuse to own the AR's, but instead have multiple reasons and the bigger enemy is ourselves, meaning from within our own borders.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
19,567 Posts
I get the theory behind it but I think the "bolt is more accurate than lever or pump" thing is right up there with "red cars are faster than blue cars". Until guns shoot themselves, I'm not puttin' any stock in it.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
First off everyone knows that red cars (and trucks) are faster!
ever seen a blue Fire truck??
I rest my case.
anyway I think the semi auto will replaces the bolt gun and don't think it will be that long either.
mostly because the younger group including military grew up with the semi and the typical AR look.
accuracy from a semi auto can be really, really, good now.
I am sure the bolt will not ever disappear however.
I mean there will always be those that want to connect with ancient history , I mean look at the number of old people that still use and like revolvers!!-----:icon_censored:

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
First off everyone knows that red cars (and trucks) are faster!
ever seen a blue Fire truck??
I rest my case.
anyway I think the semi auto will replaces the bolt gun and don't think it will be that long either.
mostly because the younger group including military grew up with the semi and the typical AR look.
accuracy from a semi auto can be really, really, good now.
I am sure the bolt will not ever disappear however.
I mean there will always be those that want to connect with ancient history , I mean look at the number of old people that still use and like revolvers!!-----:icon_censored:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'd say that many bolt guns are probably going to move toward less mainstream prevalence, but not disappear entirely. I love my bolt guns - not a one of them is younger than 75 years either and they all work very well, a couple are even sub MOA with the right ammo.

On the bright side, some day fairly soon I will own a VEPR in 7.62x54R and life will be very good indeed :)...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I don't think so. While there are more advanced options out there which are easier to operate, I view the bolt-action rifle to be much like a pump action shotgun or revolver. Older, but generally more reliable due to the manual operations.

You can argue that modern autoloaders are extremely reliable, thus leaving the odds of malfunction rather low, but there's a comfort in more simplistic designs with manual operations and the subsequent feeling that as long as you can reliably operate the firearm, then it's more or less infallible.
Granted that such feelings may be factually untrue or the difference in reliability between the two being marginal under ordinary conditions, but you can't underestimate the power of confidence. Most folks will naturally gravitate towards that which they trust/believe in most, ergo as long as bolt-action rifles are perceived as more reliable, there will always be a market for them among those who doubt the reliability of autoloaders.

Reactions: AZM66

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I get the theory behind it but I think the "bolt is more accurate than lever or pump" thing is right up there with "red cars are faster than blue cars". Until guns shoot themselves, I'm not puttin' any stock in it.
Generally, it's true. I'm sure there are exceptions, but bolt guns can be free floated, bedded, etc, because of the one piece stock. Pumps and lever guns, not so much. Of course, there's the Savage 99. I have a buddy with a BLR I'd love to load for. He just shoots factory in it and it's a 1.5 MOA gun. I bet with the right load I could get it into MOA territory. :D The old Winchester 88s also had a one piece stock and the one I shot with factory ammo shot 1.5 MOA. That gun could be worked with, too, I'll bet. :D

Pumps I've got no experience with, but I wouldn't hold my breath on MOA with one. I think the bolt gun is the better bet.

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
A bolt gun will be inherently more accurate than a semi. It's a matter of physics. When you fire a projectile, you're not bleeding off energy to divert pressure to open the bolt, eject the round and rechamber the next round. Each of those actions will additionally force the barrel to deviate from point of hold over standard recoil. Yes, you can compensate for each of the counter actions, but that comes down to the shooter, not the equipment. Because of this and the multitude of traditionalists and chamberings that dont lend themselves to semi auto functionality, Bolt guns will be with us for quite a while. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if our great grandchildren still shoot bolt guns in the distant future.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
A few years ago I bought a Ruger American Predator (green synthetic stock) chambered in .308 at a great sale price at my local gun store.

It is a great rifle, nice barrel length and length-of-pull. I put a scope on it, zeroed it, and took it with me to the range and the open New Mexico desert. But, darn it, it was boring.

After a year, I sold it and bought a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06.

There's just something about a Classic American Rifle dressed in walnut that evokes images, in my mind, of red plaid shirts and jackets, campfire coffee, and good times. It is, most definitely, not boring. Long live the bolt action rifle!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Large and big game hunters rely on bolt action as do long distance shooting such as prairie dog hunters. I believe there will always a place for bolt actions.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,311 Posts
Yeah, well the AR can be sub MOA accurate with a floated barrel, but you're right, bolt guns still rule long range shooting. Of course, most of 'em look like ARs with a bolt. :rofl:
The AR was designed to be drug through the muck of combat and still be minute of bad guy accurate. The AR that is sub MOA wouldn't be that way after a day on patrol.

Yes an AR can but it wasn't the designed purpose.

One shot, One kill? Hand me the bolt gun please.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I think bolt guns will never go away. I have just the 1 .22lr bolt gun and love shooting with it. If I had more money there would be more bolts gun in my life!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts