Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard somewhere that the PT-1911 was not truly "mil-spec", and that some parts would not "drop in". Is there any truth to that?
I'm planning to buy a "drop in" match trigger kit and hope I won't have to re-work all the parts.
Are the parts from any particular company better suited to drop in the PT-1911 than some other companies?
Thanx for your assistance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Regardless of the advertising hype, most drop in parts aren't!!! From what I've read in the gun mags the PT1911 was patterned from the 1947 military specs. These were the last specs put out for the 1911. That being said, it doesn't guarantee that anyones parts will be a drop in fit. I've read in different forums that some guys had good luck with drop in parts and some didn't, luck of the draw I'd say. Not much help but that's the way it is. I really like Ed Brown and Wilson parts.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Most custom parts are left a little "full" for truly custom fitting. The concept "drop in" conjures up images of a newbie who just swaps out parts willie nellie. Most info will tell you that most parts will need "custom... i.e., gunsmith" fitting. Now, it is true that with enough time, patience... and spare parts, you can learn to do the tweaking to make most parts on the 1911 fit. But the caveat is that if it doesn't, don't blame the parts maker... they told you it was custom fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts