Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARE YOU ACTUALLY A MALL NINJA OR WORSE??

When the subject was brought up again! I got to thinking about when people (I am a people), run WHAT IF'S!! Are they being a form of the mall ninja?
I know many times sitting at the computer, watching a movie, or visiting some of the forums "where they post senario's", I start running thru my mind!!! What would you do in a situation? Maybe from something off the news, or like I said movies will start you thinking.

I do not go to a range and try to impress people with the idea's that run thru my brain. I do it in the hope that I will never have to in real life!

How many of ya'll run in your mind the "WHAT IF'S", "TACTICAL SENARIO'S", "SHTF'S". :???:

Anyone want to confess! I admitted I do! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i dont think "what if's" make you a mall ninja.. a mall ninja, armchair commandos.. and such the key is they often grossly exaggerate their experiences, out and out lie, and seem to know everything there is about firearms.. they are "posers" "wannabes"
often consider them selves self important and have the motto "it's never big enough".

if you dont fit that description you are'nt a mall ninja, period!

·
Super Moderator
21,544 Posts
I run senario's though my mind all the time even if I'm just watching TV the problem with TV or movie's is that it dose not work in real life. The Borne series,mission Impossible they all look good.
i've trained with some pretty scary people spec ops and police my father. And other then spec ops most stuff does not work and the stuff that does is KISS (Keep it simple stupid)ways of dealing with a attack. The times i've been attaked its been fast and furious and have not had time to think about anything so unless you train so it just happens then forget the deadly Kung fu grip and fight like an animal.
I won some and lost some so no arogents here. But its fun to think it through. :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The so-called mall ninjas are the ones I can "make" a mile away. ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I was a young uniformed officer, I occasionaly trained new recruits just out of the academy. One of the things I instilled in them was to constantly run scenarios, or "what ifs", through their minds. By thinking things out ahead of time, we condition ourselves to think outside the box. At first I would have them verbalize a scenario of a hold-up at a Stop-N-Rob, to walk me through what they would do "IF." Then I would throw in a bunch more "what ifs" to try and open up their creativity. One of the things pointed out by the "9-11 Commission" was a lack of creativity among federal officers.

"I do it in the hope that I will never have to in real life!"
Very sound thinking. Keep it up.

·
Administrator
35,317 Posts
I think its good to 'what if' different situations, so that your mind has already been there, hopefully , if you found yourself in a bad situation. I frequently try to figure out the best place to have my gun in my car so that if I were carjacked, I could smoothly get the gun, and turn the tables. Or, depending on the situation, just let it go....it just depends on THE SITUATION.

As much as one 'what-ifs' , it'll be a totally crazy situation that you will inevitably find yourself in, something that you couldn't have dreamnt up if you wanted to.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I will hapilly admit to running mental "what if's" almost all the time (stupid brain). However the ones which I do any prep work for are very few and far between.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I admit I do it too. I think it is a good thing to do. It keeps you focused and should be a part of training that anyone who carries a gun should do regularly just like shooting your gun.

·
Administrator
35,317 Posts
I'm always telling my son to be in 'condition yellow' - for him, that means not darting out into the street, being aware that somebody has walked along and is standing behind you, so you don't turn around and clobber them....things like that. For adults, it's developing a little mental toughness where you just don't let your mind completely go into neutral - you're relaxed, but aware of what's going on around you. Jeff Cooper said that you can live in condition yellow, and that's what I strive for.....

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree with TTG, you can live your life alert, without going bonkers, if a situation arises and you go to condition red get out of there. Every defense book I've read talks about running short situations through when you walk into a store restaurant or any place other than your abode. You should note where the exits are, and prepare an egress path in your mind, also note the layout of the area you are in and possible options for cover, these allow you to draw or may allow you to leap frog to safety as you exit the dangerous situation. It's not being paranoid, it's being prepared. This doesn't just apply when we're carrying either, even in gun free zones we should have a plan to survive and be alert to people and suspicious situations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts