Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only reason I ask is that when I was cleaning mine for the first time, the interior part of the slide is all finished blue/black. I would think that if it is stainless steel, on the inside no less, it would be just left in the stainless finish. Barrel is also finished blue/black. Anyone know this one?

Thanks,
CSTripp

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think they blue the entire slide first, and then polish the sides. Quality blueing requires that the part be submerged in the solution for full adhesion (as far as I know).

·
Registered
16 Posts
One simple way to figure that out would be to try and see if a magnet is attracted to the slide or not. If it does it's most likely metal, if not it's stainless. There are some series of stainless that are magnetic but I highly doubt they would use those series in a pistol slide.

Hope that helps!

Dreaded

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dreaded said:
One simple way to figure that out would be to try and see if a magnet is attracted to the slide or not. If it does it's most likely metal, if not it's stainless. There are some series of stainless that are magnetic but I highly doubt they would use those series in a pistol slide.

Hope that helps!

Dreaded

Umm. I believe all ferrous metals(carbon steel, stainless steel, iron) are all magnetic. Non-ferrous metals(aluminum, titanium, gold, silver) are not magnetic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
CSTripp said:
Umm. I believe all ferrous metals(carbon steel, stainless steel, iron) are all magnetic. Non-ferrous metals(aluminum, titanium, gold, silver) are not magnetic.
Your statement is true, all ferrous metals are magnetic. However most COMMON stainless steels are austenitic and these have a higher chromium and nickel content. It is the nickel which modifies the structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

Do you think Taurus uses a more expensive and uncommon grade of stainless in the slides? I doubt it. I'm a Tool and Die maker believe me i know my metals, it's my job.

Edit: try it and let me know your results, I'm curious.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dreaded said:
Do you think Taurus uses a more expensive and uncommon grade of stainless in the slides? I doubt it. I'm a Tool and Die maker believe me i know my metals, it's my job.

Edit: try it and let me know your results, I'm curious.
Touche'

Oh yeah. Magnet sticks right to it. I don't think I've seen a stainless steel anything that is non-magnetic.

CSTripp

·
Registered
275 Posts
You're both right.
Austenitic stainless is intended to be non-magnetic but
some types will become so when cold-worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts